Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:55 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
How many were relocated to the new development?

Good question, there once were 3600 units of public housing at Cabrini. There are nowhere near that many public housing replacement units on the site now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 01:01 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,606 times
It seems the Cabrini Green row homes have partially been renovated and are being inhabited again after having been empty for a large part previously:
- Cambridge avenue
-Mohawk street
-Cleveland avenue
- Hudson avenue
Only Hudson avenue is still completely abandoned. The following recent video shows a lively street (Cambridge) with kids playing in the street and people socializing outside.

Will all the remaining boarded up row homes like on Hudson be renovated and inhabited again?

https://youtu.be/YLblxAaY1rM?feature=shared

Old 10-31-2023, 10:44 AM

A (partial) answer to my own question is that most of the redevelopment in Cabrini Green is actually taking place outside of the streets where the Cabrini Green row homes are at, like on Larrabee and Clybourn: Joint venture aims to redevelop Chicago’s Cabrini-Green with nearly 750 homes. The video does show a quite lively neighbourhood where the Cabrini Green row homes are, I wonder if that area will be redeveloped as well.

For a mere $2600 per month one can live in a new building with a view on the historic Cabrini Green row homes: link. I wonder how many of the former residents have moved into the new buildings.

Old 11-07-2023, 11:52 AM

117 posts, read 84,306 times
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Danville. A lot of Cabrini Green residents moved to the housing projects down there & you can see how that city is doing these days.

Old 11-08-2023, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftask View Post
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Danville. A lot of Cabrini Green residents moved to the housing projects down there & you can see how that city is doing these days.
That is really interesting information. I can't find much about Cabrini Green residents getting relocated to Danville but I did find a post on Reddit that says that 'the bad guys from Cabrini Green were bussed to Danville' as a 'wonderful gift' from Chicago: link.

So, let's see how Danville is doing these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_CUBJ3YNaE

Old 11-09-2023, 06:46 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
A (partial) answer to my own question is that most of the redevelopment in Cabrini Green is actually taking place outside of the streets where the Cabrini Green row homes are at, like on Larrabee and Clybourn: Joint venture aims to redevelop Chicago’s Cabrini-Green with nearly 750 homes. The video does show a quite lively neighbourhood where the Cabrini Green row homes are, I wonder if that area will be redeveloped as well.

For a mere $2600 per month one can live in a new building with a view on the historic Cabrini Green row homes: link. I wonder how many of the former residents have moved into the new buildings.

My guess is not very many. Most of them were given housing choice vouchers and moved to other neighborhoods in the city, mostly on the south and west sides. I'll guess many more moved to the suburbs, mostly the south suburbs like Riverdale, Calumet City, Dolton, Robbins, Markham, etc. Remember, this was during a time when Chicago was pretty blatantly trying to push the poor out of gentrifying neighborhoods, of which Cabrini was one.

Old 11-11-2023, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
[/b]
My guess is not very many. Most of them were given housing choice vouchers and moved to other neighborhoods in the city, mostly on the south and west sides. I'll guess many more moved to the suburbs, mostly the south suburbs like Riverdale, Calumet City, Dolton, Robbins, Markham, etc. Remember, this was during a time when Chicago was pretty blatantly trying to push the poor out of gentrifying neighborhoods, of which Cabrini was one.
I also would not have expected many former Cabrini Green residents to stay in their neighbourhood since many of the new developments are quite expensive rather than public housing. Although some Cabrini Green residents were making a lot of money in the high rises with what they were engaged in.

Do you happen to know how these neighbourhoods they moved to responded to their arrival? One comment below the video of Danville I posted above says Danville actually went downhill after the Cabrini Green residents arrived. From a recent comment from mikepribble9121:

I was born and raised in Danville for 32 years before packing up my wife & kids & moving to Southern, Illinois. (Best decision ever). Great video & everything was spot on. When Blagojevich was governor & Chicago shut down Cabrini Greens they moved a lot of those lower income family households into our housing projects & that's when it went down hill in my opinion. Danville never was great but in my time growing up you could earn a decent living and make it.

Old 11-15-2023, 04:36 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times
Quote:
I also would not have expected many former Cabrini Green residents to stay in their neighbourhood since many of the new developments are quite expensive rather than public housing. Although some Cabrini Green residents were making a lot of money in the high rises with what they were engaged in.

Do you happen to know how these neighbourhoods they moved to responded to their arrival? One comment below the video of Danville I posted above says Danville actually went downhill after the Cabrini Green residents arrived. From a recent comment from mikepribble9121:

I was born and raised in Danville for 32 years before packing up my wife & kids & moving to Southern, Illinois. (Best decision ever). Great video & everything was spot on. When Blagojevich was governor & Chicago shut down Cabrini Greens they moved a lot of those lower income family households into our housing projects & that's when it went down hill in my opinion. Danville never was great but in my time growing up you could earn a decent living and make it.
I mean, I don't know. But in general, I would probably say they declined. I lived in Berwyn in the 2000s and can tell you that the influx of lower income residents from the gentrifying west side had a deleterious effect on the school scores, which accelerated white flight and ultimately lowered property values (which have long since recovered there).

Of course, that was a very different thing from Section 8. But in general, when poor people move into an area, wealthier people move.

Old 12-27-2023, 03:11 PM

Here is an article about a former Cabrini Green resident who moved from the Cabrini Green high rises to redeveloped mixed-income housing nearby. He faced some struggles with fitting in but at least some of the former Cabrini Green residents were able to stay in their neighbourhood.

Old 12-27-2023, 04:31 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,123,768 times
Quote:
Here is an article about a former Cabrini Green resident who moved from the Cabrini Green high rises to redeveloped mixed-income housing nearby. He faced some struggles with fitting in but at least some of the former Cabrini Green residents were able to stay in their neighbourhood.

He says at one point that the best thing about the old projects was that everybody got along. He also says it was "friends killing friends".

That is a revealing if contradictory statement, in a nonsensically reasonable sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago