Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 06:35 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
He says at one point that the best thing about the old projects was that everybody got along. He also says it was "friends killing friends".

That is a revealing if contradictory statement, in a nonsensically reasonable sense.
Yogi Berra would be proud of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 05:36 PM

193 posts, read 104,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
Just wondering what happened to all the residents of the above residences.Where did they go?.I assume they get dispersed to other areas?.i wonder what the residents of said areas think of their new neighbours?.Coming back to the Chicago area (Skokie) on holiday for the third time in a couple of days and take a keen interest in the comings and goings of all the states I have visited over the years(35 so far)so I am genuinely interested in the dispersal of the bad estates residents as I myself have the misfortune to have received one of the dispersed residents from a bad area of Edinburgh into our block of six.Drug dealing father and son chased out of previous residences by other fine gentlemen over debts incurred.Daily visits during the nights to buy,drug squad breaking down the door twice,people stoned out of their mind on the stairs and when you go to the authorities(not sure what to equate them with in the states maybe section 8?)they say"well they have to stay somewhere".Thanks a bundle.Thinking about moving after 20 years,But I think do not let the B*******S win.Happy days indeed.Looking forward to Chicago for two weeks break from these bozos.
this sounds sort of racist... how did the native americans feel about the British Settlers coming to their shores? lol.. why

Old 12-30-2023, 11:26 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I also would not have expected many former Cabrini Green residents to stay in their neighbourhood since many of the new developments are quite expensive rather than public housing. Although some Cabrini Green residents were making a lot of money in the high rises with what they were engaged in.

Do you happen to know how these neighbourhoods they moved to responded to their arrival? One comment below the video of Danville I posted above says Danville actually went downhill after the Cabrini Green residents arrived. From a recent comment from mikepribble9121:

I was born and raised in Danville for 32 years before packing up my wife & kids & moving to Southern, Illinois. (Best decision ever). Great video & everything was spot on. When Blagojevich was governor & Chicago shut down Cabrini Greens they moved a lot of those lower income family households into our housing projects & that's when it went down hill in my opinion. Danville never was great but in my time growing up you could earn a decent living and make it.

Blagojevich did not shut down Cabrini-Green as governor. Cabrini Green--and ALL of the other public housing complexes in the city--were demolished as part of the Hope IV plan, which was implemented when Bill Clinton was President. It was a plan implemented nationwide, not just in Chicago, not just in Illinois.

The entire Hope IV plan was based on a model used in Boston (for a project called Columbia Point, which tore down an old public housing complex and rebuilt using a public-private partnership model and appeared to be quite successful), and New Urbanism urban planning concept.

The law was passed in 1998 and funding was rolled out through 2005--just in time for the housing crash to cut off the private funding streams intended to rebuild. Illinois announced plans to tear down Cabrini-Green in 1996 and the 'Green' half of the homes (named after William Green) were torn down before Blagojevich was sworn in as governor.

Around the same time that Hope IV was happening, the state of Illinois passed a law requiring that all towns have at least 10% of their housing stock meet criteria for affordable. This has made many towns very unhappy--they can no longer push 'undesirables' out of town--and many refuse to comply with the law. But where compliant, the law has the effect of giving low income citizens an opportunity to move out of the city. Prior to this law, large cities were really the only place to get help, since small towns and suburbs refused to offer shelter or other assistance for those in need (sometimes actually offering bus fare to ship undesirables to the city).

Old 01-03-2024, 08:53 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,123,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Yogi Berra would be proud of this.
Def, lol.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:57 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Blagojevich did not shut down Cabrini-Green as governor. Cabrini Green--and ALL of the other public housing complexes in the city--were demolished as part of the Hope IV plan, which was implemented when Bill Clinton was President. It was a plan implemented nationwide, not just in Chicago, not just in Illinois.

The entire Hope IV plan was based on a model used in Boston (for a project called Columbia Point, which tore down an old public housing complex and rebuilt using a public-private partnership model and appeared to be quite successful), and New Urbanism urban planning concept.

The law was passed in 1998 and funding was rolled out through 2005--just in time for the housing crash to cut off the private funding streams intended to rebuild. Illinois announced plans to tear down Cabrini-Green in 1996 and the 'Green' half of the homes (named after William Green) were torn down before Blagojevich was sworn in as governor.

Around the same time that Hope IV was happening, the state of Illinois passed a law requiring that all towns have at least 10% of their housing stock meet criteria for affordable. This has made many towns very unhappy--they can no longer push 'undesirables' out of town--and many refuse to comply with the law. But where compliant, the law has the effect of giving low income citizens an opportunity to move out of the city. Prior to this law, large cities were really the only place to get help, since small towns and suburbs refused to offer shelter or other assistance for those in need (sometimes actually offering bus fare to ship undesirables to the city).
In a way it seems good the notorious housing projects like Cabrini Green were shut down because crime really got out of control. For example, this video shows how they celebrated New Years eve in Cabrini Green ... Many people on the upper levels of the high rises were hiding in their bathtubs to avoid the stray gunfire.

On the other hand, the people from the housing projects needed to live somewhere, there were also some law abiding citizens that just ended up in Cabrini Green and did not have the financial resources to move away.

The mixed-income solution seems indeed the least bad solution although like the article mentions, there were problems implementing this properly as well, both financially and culturally.

It seems most Cabrini Green citizens moved to either West or South Chicago or Danville. Both the Reddit comment and the Youtube comment I linked to clearly say Danville went downhill after the Cabrini Green citizens arrived. West and South Chicago are not known for thriving greatly either and are very high crime even today. I wonder to what degree this can be attributed to the Cabrini Green citizens having moved there. Moving them to not so thriving parts of Chicago and Danville does not seem to have worked out so well.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:47 AM

62 posts, read 19,166 times
Quote:
In a way it seems good the notorious housing projects like Cabrini Green were shut down because crime really got out of control. For example, this video shows how they celebrated New Years eve in Cabrini Green ... Many people on the upper levels of the high rises were hiding in their bathtubs to avoid the stray gunfire.

On the other hand, the people from the housing projects needed to live somewhere, there were also some law abiding citizens that just ended up in Cabrini Green and did not have the financial resources to move away.

The mixed-income solution seems indeed the least bad solution although like the article mentions, there were problems implementing this properly as well, both financially and culturally.

It seems most Cabrini Green citizens moved to either West or South Chicago or Danville. Both the Reddit comment and the Youtube comment I linked to clearly say Danville went downhill after the Cabrini Green citizens arrived. West and South Chicago are not known for thriving greatly either and are very high crime even today. I wonder to what degree this can be attributed to the Cabrini Green citizens having moved there. Moving them to not so thriving parts of Chicago and Danville does not seem to have worked out so well.
https://www.thevintagenews.com/2022/...cabrini-green/

https://crimelab.uchicago.edu/resour...-crime-trends/

Old 01-19-2024, 12:19 PM

The first article about Cabrini Green is interesting. It mentions part of the problems originated after the riots in 1968 with West Side gangs moving to Cabrini Green and clashing with the North Side gangs already there and things got out of control.

After the high rises were demolished apparently some of the West Side gangs may have moved back to the West Side.

Things really must have been bad back in the day. Here is a recent video from a 'Cabrini Green delivery survivor' who tells what he encountered while working as a delivery driver there.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/zXP9L...?feature=share

Old 03-14-2024, 12:14 PM

A movie about Frances Cabrini and all the good she did was released this month. A strange twist of fate, that the most notorious housing project in the US with very high crime was named after a woman who achieved saint like status.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaMlUazXvyY

Old 03-15-2024, 07:25 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
A movie about Frances Cabrini and all the good she did was released this month. A strange twist of fate, that the most notorious housing project in the US with very high crime was named after a woman who achieved saint like status.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaMlUazXvyY
VERY interesting. I had never heard of the nun Cabrini nor knew that those projects were named after her.

I remember attending a White Sox-Twins game at the NEW Comisky Park (Guaranteed Rate Field) right after it was built. We sat in the upper deck down the 1st base line and could look over the freeway at the high rise projects buildings. The story, most probably true, was that these seats had bullet holes from being shot from the projects.

https://www.fromthisseat.com/index.p...rk-s-structure

Last edited by jmgg; 03-15-2024 at 07:36 AM..

Old 03-18-2024, 07:09 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,652 times
I have sympathy for the OP in trying to rent to people who turn out to be troubled. I think we should take a step back and look at this a different way. I just saw on PBS this eve that in the past 20-25 years the public housing assistance has been reduced in the US. In Dallas people who are stable, but need help have no section 8 housing to choose from. In Seattle, the program is run excellently and while they do not have abundant housing either BUT they run the program really well and if the tenant does not pay, the housing authority can get paid directly and if damage was done-the tenant can get paid for that.

I have been thinking a lot of John. F. Kennedy's saying “Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country,” challenged every American to contribute in some way to the public good.

We have to check on and remind our gov't whether local or national to take care of people when they deserve to be taken care of. Here in Texas I am trying to get involved more with the cause of homelessness and low income and affordable housing.

In the PBS segment they said at some point the gov't decided to give vouchers instead of building units. There is good and bad with both-it is about making sure they are governed safely, fairly and excellently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago