Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:01 PM

15 posts, read 18,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureistheword View Post
Born and raised in NYC, moved to Chicago in March. One of the best decisions I ever made.
That's really great to hear! Makes me feel more confident about my decision. I may PM you to get some info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
THIS. Lakeview is definitely more Wicker Park. Linclon Park is like a cross between Brooklyn Heights and the central part of the Village (between, say, Broadway and 7th ave).
I'm flying into Chicago next Friday to start scouting neighborhoods so i'll stop by all the recommended neighborhoods. However, you said "Lakeview is definitely more Wicker Park"- what do you mean by that exactly? I'm not sure if i'm reading that right

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 04:00 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,874,311 times
Wicker is more granola/artsy but also has trendy spots. It's a cool spot and if I was under 30 that's probably where I'd go, but that's me. Bucktown is due north of Wicker and borders it to the point it's hard to tell where Wicker ends and Bucktown begins, but Bucktown is a little more 'tony' and less 'flannel'. I like it a lot.

West Town is to the south of Wicker, and again, the border is gray for a bit as you go south and then West Town feels more gentrifying, read, not quite as put together. As a result, West Town is pretty hot right now as the place to get in before it changes too much. It's a tad more rugged, but still a safe area.

If you look at West Town, I'd not get too close to Humboldt Park - that area has improved a ton but is still rougher. Used to be very rife with Latino gang bangers. Real estate people will call homes near Humboldt as West Town, but I'd stay several blocks east of there despite the improvement.

The previous posters' comments on Lakeview are right on the money. Perfect, actually.

Note that while my initial answer was Lincoln Park, that was more on a healthier budget - it's where I'd live if money were not an object. Love it. But note the clientele is mostly well off.

You may also want to explore Old Town. Pretty good mix of people, leaning younger. Closer to the lake, in the heart of two great places to see comedy. The stretch on Wells north and south of North Ave is a great area.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:50 PM

Question:

I'll be in Chicago next Friday and Saturday to survey neighborhoods. Which L station would be closest to the following neighborhoods?

1) Wicker Park
2) Bucktown
3) West Town
4) Lake View
5) Lincoln Park
6) Logan Square

Google maps can be a little confusing in terms of borders for these specific neighborhoods. My plan is to get off at each respective L station and start to walk around and check out the area. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2017, 01:03 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,741,872 times
1) Wicker Park - Damen and Western stops on Blue Line
2) Bucktown - Damen and Western stops on Blue Line
3) West Town - Chicago and Division stops on Blue Line
4) Lake View - Addison and Belmont stops on Red Line, Southport on Brown Line
5) Lincoln Park - Fullerton on Red Line, Armitage on Brown Line
6) Logan Square - Logan Square on Blue Line

Old 09-21-2017, 01:23 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,196,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khasan122 View Post
Question:

I'll be in Chicago next Friday and Saturday to survey neighborhoods. Which L station would be closest to the following neighborhoods?

1) Wicker Park
2) Bucktown
3) West Town
4) Lake View
5) Lincoln Park
6) Logan Square

Google maps can be a little confusing in terms of borders for these specific neighborhoods. My plan is to get off at each respective L station and start to walk around and check out the area. Thanks!
1) Wicker Park - Blue Line Division stop at the southeast end or Damen right in the middle.
2) Bucktown - Blue Line Damen in the middle or Western Ave stop (northwest edge)
3) West Town - Blue Line Chicago or Division stops
4) Lakeview - Red Line (Belmont, or Addison stops); Brown Line (Diversey, Wellington, Belmont, Southport, Paulina; Addison and Irving Park stops are on the boundary of Lakeview and North Center, reachable by NW section of Lakeview); Purple Line (Diversey, Wellington, Belmont).
5. Lincoln Park - Red Line (North & Clybourn, Fullerton); Brown Line (Armitage, Fullerton, Diversey); Purple Line (Armitage, Fullerton, Diversey)
6) Logan Square - Blue Line Western Ave, California, Logan Square

If you get on the Purple Line at all, get off at Belmont, otherwise you'll be on an express train to Evanston. It may be easier to just avoid getting on the Purple line if you're unfamiliar.

The Red and Brown Lines run on the same line between Fullerton and Belmont. They arrive/depart at the same platform and you can transfer between the two at those stops.

-Diversey is the boundary between Lincoln Park and Lakeview.
-North Avenue is the boundary between Bucktown and Wicker Park, but many people consider it one area.
-Western Ave is the boundary between Bucktown or Lincoln Park and Logan Square.
-Bucktown is separated from Lincoln Park by the Chicago River/Kennedy expressway.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
1) Wicker Park - Damen and Western stops on Blue Line
2) Bucktown - Damen and Western stops on Blue Line
3) West Town - Chicago and Division stops on Blue Line
4) Lake View - Addison and Belmont stops on Red Line, Southport on Brown Line
5) Lincoln Park - Fullerton on Red Line, Armitage on Brown Line
6) Logan Square - Logan Square on Blue Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
1) Wicker Park - Blue Line Division stop at the southeast end or Damen right in the middle.
2) Bucktown - Blue Line Damen in the middle or Western Ave stop (northwest edge)
3) West Town - Blue Line Chicago or Division stops
4) Lakeview - Red Line (Belmont, or Addison stops); Brown Line (Diversey, Wellington, Belmont, Southport, Paulina; Addison and Irving Park stops are on the boundary of Lakeview and North Center, reachable by NW section of Lakeview); Purple Line (Diversey, Wellington, Belmont).
5. Lincoln Park - Red Line (North & Clybourn, Fullerton); Brown Line (Armitage, Fullerton, Diversey); Purple Line (Armitage, Fullerton, Diversey)
6) Logan Square - Blue Line Western Ave, California, Logan Square

If you get on the Purple Line at all, get off at Belmont, otherwise you'll be on an express train to Evanston. It may be easier to just avoid getting on the Purple line if you're unfamiliar.

The Red and Brown Lines run on the same line between Fullerton and Belmont. They arrive/depart at the same platform and you can transfer between the two at those stops.

-Diversey is the boundary between Lincoln Park and Lakeview.
-North Avenue is the boundary between Bucktown and Wicker Park, but many people consider it one area.
-Western Ave is the boundary between Bucktown or Lincoln Park and Logan Square.
-Bucktown is separated from Lincoln Park by the Chicago River/Kennedy expressway.
Extremely helpful, thank you!

Old 09-21-2017, 01:38 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,741,872 times
Quote:
Extremely helpful, thank you!

Good luck!

Old 09-22-2017, 05:24 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,987,028 times
Quote:
That's really great to hear! Makes me feel more confident about my decision. I may PM you to get some info.

I'm flying into Chicago next Friday to start scouting neighborhoods so i'll stop by all the recommended neighborhoods. However, you said "Lakeview is definitely more Wicker Park"- what do you mean by that exactly? I'm not sure if i'm reading that right

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback and help!
That was a mistake. I meant to say that Lakeview is more like Murray Hill.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:39 PM

So this is a far stretch - but i'm currently in Chicago now (in Lincoln park area) I just got done with work, and wanted to see if anyone wanted to grab a bite and or get some drinks after? I'm 24 if that matters. Let me know!

Old 10-01-2017, 08:43 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,216,994 times
Quote:
So this is a far stretch - but i'm currently in Chicago now (in Lincoln park area) I just got done with work, and wanted to see if anyone wanted to grab a bite and or get some drinks after? I'm 24 if that matters. Let me know!
Wish I would of seen this earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago