Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:09 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,203 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are heading up next month and were thinking of AirBnB in a neighborhood as opposed to the same old Michigan Avenue hotels.
I am from Brighton Park originally (when it was nicer) and am familiar with many parts of the city but obviously neighborhoods have changed quite a bit over the years. We would like to sort of immerse ourselves in a neighborhood and spend most of our time there minus a day to visit a couple friends. Not sure on total stay but maybe 4 days.

Really just looking for someplace to chill and party as a home base while in town. We will likely hit a Hawks game, Lincoln Park Zoo and Staropolska for sure but no other real plans. We are mid 40s but don't mind a mix of ages.

Where should we stay? What street intersection in that neighborhood? And of course why? Just throw stuff out there. No wrong answers, just gathering information.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 04:30 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Really depends what else is going on and what sorts of trade-offs you will accept from non-traditional accommodations. A fairly frequently poster does have a place in River North, that seems like a good option...

Old 10-20-2017, 04:59 PM

4 posts, read 2,978 times
I am a 25 yr old Hispanic male i moved to Atlanta from chicago when I was 8. I lived in Pilsen. I’ve never been back. Would I be safe if I flew to Chicago and walked around by Blue island and Cullerton up to 18th and blue island? I remember back in the grimy 90s there used to be a lot of jokers around there. Would I be ok or should I not do this?

Old 10-20-2017, 05:10 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,863,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gv1992 View Post
I am a 25 yr old Hispanic male i moved to Atlanta from chicago when I was 8. I lived in Pilsen. I’ve never been back. Would I be safe if I flew to Chicago and walked around by Blue island and Cullerton up to 18th and blue island? I remember back in the grimy 90s there used to be a lot of jokers around there. Would I be ok or should I not do this?
I think you would be fine. This area has significantly improved since then.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:38 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Wife and I are heading up next month and were thinking of AirBnB in a neighborhood as opposed to the same old Michigan Avenue hotels.
I am from Brighton Park originally (when it was nicer) and am familiar with many parts of the city but obviously neighborhoods have changed quite a bit over the years. We would like to sort of immerse ourselves in a neighborhood and spend most of our time there minus a day to visit a couple friends. Not sure on total stay but maybe 4 days.

Really just looking for someplace to chill and party as a home base while in town. We will likely hit a Hawks game, Lincoln Park Zoo and Staropolska for sure but no other real plans. We are mid 40s but don't mind a mix of ages.

Where should we stay? What street intersection in that neighborhood? And of course why? Just throw stuff out there. No wrong answers, just gathering information.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
What are your general interests outside of the 3 things listed in your post? What kind of things would you like to spend your time doing on vacation? Are there certain types of restaurants you want to try? Are you into beer, whiskey, live music, outdoor activities, etc?

Old 10-21-2017, 08:52 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
You mention Lincoln Park Zoo. You could get an airbnb near there. Its a lovely neighborhood. Pick something near the zoo around Lincoln Park Zoo and up through Clark St. You can go to the zoo and you can also go to Chicago History Museum, which I did last week. I got a groupon for half price admission. The buses will take you to downtown or up and down the lakeshore area. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1217077...s=1&s=lNZoebC8

Old 10-21-2017, 11:32 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
Old Town seems like a good choice for this. You can walk the Wells corridor and Old Town Triangle area. Near the lake. Walkable to the LPZ, reasonably central to many things, not too far from the loop (I've walked it).

Old 10-22-2017, 06:08 AM

4 posts, read 2,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I think you would be fine. This area has significantly improved since then.
Hasn’t it been bad there lately again?

Old 10-22-2017, 09:06 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
No. There is always spotty violence and crime in Chicago. I was in Pilsen a few months ago on a Sunday morning and had lunch at Duseks and it was perfectly fine.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:15 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,203 times
Thank you all for suggestions. We dont mind taking uber to LPZ or anywhere else really. I like the Old Town idea. Always liked it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago