Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 06:50 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times

Advertisements

I hear that Chicago had its holiday lighting parade this weekend along the Magnificent Mile.

Years back, I saw a photo and even on tv, Boston's local ABC affiliate had the event, maybe on a tape delay. The lights looked beautiful.

Like everywhere now, do they use those ugly, off-color LED holiday lights, those hard plastic vs. glass bulbs? I hate the move in recent years to replace a city's traditional holiday lights with the unappealing LED version.

Are the Magnificent Mile lights as spectacular as years past?

I'm selfish, but yearn for the past in this regard. My own city of Quincy, Massachusetts, now has begun stringing up the LED lights in an area that still had the glass bulbs. It'll be lighted for the first time this weekend, and I already envision a disappointment.

In Boston, several years ago the city replaced the holiday tree lighting on Boston Common with those LED lights. They're so dreary and depressing. Actually, I think there are more lights and more effort put in nowadays, but the result is bland.

The white bulbs, especially, just don't look right, as they don't have that sparkle of the traditional glass bulbs. I guess the bulbs are called C9 bulbs? You can still buy them in stores, but they may be environmentally friendly yet can still be made to look retro?

I know this sounds very shallow for environmentalists to hear, but anybody else agree?

And I don't find the light blue holiday lights appealing in most or all cases. That color started with the LED trend? Never saw that color growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 11:27 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,044 times
Yes, I also hate change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago