Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:51 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'm in the suburbs and when people refer to Chicago, they overwhelmingly use the term "the city". Using "Chicago": not so much. And those with a skewed view of the city will use "downtown"....there are enough folks out there who, if going to Diversy and Clark would say "I'm going downtown."

Now here's what I'm curious about: are there fringe areas in the city, you know, places with a sububan feel that could be their own tow/village (I'm thinking of places like Edison Park, Norwood Park, Edgebrook, Sauganasg, Berveley, Mt Greenwood) who would use the term "going into the City" or even the much less likely "going into Chicago"?

And I hope I'm not muddying the waters when I add a different question: are there different degrees of "chicagoness" just like there are different degrees of "newyokness" where manhattan (particularly its lower 2/3) gets the most, Brooklyn gets a lot, Staten Island a little and Far Rockaway a miniscule part?

So does our general downtown area from North to Cermak, the lakefront to the UC and Med Ctr have the most? The powerful, eclectic, urbane areas neighborhoos north of downtown (Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Bucktown! etc) and Hyde Park have the next level of chicagoness, maybe followed by the far north side neighborhoods that are urban, but far off from the core to be related to it (I'm thinking Edgewater, Rogers Pk, WRP, Albany Park, etc) and the least amount of chicagoness to those Sububan like areas I previously mentioned (like Sauganash and Beverly) get the least?

I realize that I mostly used Norh Side areas...but only because I know them better.

I also realize I very may well have generated some truly whacky ideas here (hey, I am on to myself), but I really am interested in how people see these issues
Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 02:41 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
I live in the distant 'burbs, but work downtown, like actually downtown. When I'm heading to work, I'll say, I'm going "in", or "downtown". However, we often go to other parts of Chicago for entertainment, etc. When doing that, we say we're going "to the city".

I never say Chicago. Everybody around this area knows what the city by the lake is called.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMartha View Post
I live on the Jefferson Park/Norwood Park border and I, like Narfalicious, use intersections.

I'm so tired of these threads putting down not only suburbanites, but also those who live in fringe neighborhoods. I've lived in fringe neighborhoods all my life, but that doesn't make me less of a Chicagoan.

I grew up in North Park, which was fairly walkable in the '70's-80's. We walked to Lincoln Village as well as to Devon Ave. My mother didn't drive so we took the bus and/or El everywhere else. I grew up knowing my way around the city because of our frequent use of public transportation; I doubt I would have had that same knowledge had my dad driven us everywhere.

I guess my point is to stop being so judgy. Living within certain borders doesn't make one more of a Chicagoan, and living outside of those borders doesn't make one less of a Chicagoan either.
You are probably more of a Chicagoan than most people on here. I bet you even have the Chicago accent. Myself and many many like me are transplants. Im from Stockholm..lol
I live in Jeff Park too and i feel like people who lives here are more native...if you know what i mean.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:21 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
I will refer to Chicago as "the city" when I'm talking to people from other parts of the Chicago metro area, because I know many of them consider all of Chicagoland to be "Chicago," and it's a way for me to be specific without getting into that whole stupid argument with them. When I'm talking to people who are actually in Chicago I just call it "Chicago."

I generally avoid using the term "downtown" when talking about Chicago, because it has so many different definitions to different people that it's practically meaningless. I'll just refer to the specific area I'm talking about (e.g. The Loop, South Loop, River North, etc.) instead, or maybe I'll say "near The Loop" if I'm wanting to give a vague sense of what I personally consider to be downtown.

Last edited by SkylarkPhotoBooth; 01-06-2018 at 03:30 AM..

Old 01-06-2018, 10:37 AM

157 posts, read 186,984 times
I don't think anyone is putting down suburbanites or those in fringe city neighborhoods. People use different terminology depending on what part of the metro area they in. Not sure how describing this is an insult.

When I lived in the far suburbs and visited cousins in Logan Sqr we would head to the city. Now I live downtown, so I when we visit them we refer to it as heading to Logan Sqr. When you are further out you tend to use broader terms.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:37 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Good grief.
Why do people always hate on EDGs's posts?

His posts are interesting. He goes into details about things.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:18 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Why do people always hate on EDGs's posts?

His posts are interesting. He goes into details about things.
Thank you, Alacran; very kind of you.

The hating doesn't bother me insofar as it is, you know.....the internet.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:37 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
edsg25, That is an interesting question you raise! I'm a Milwaukeean that visits Chicago weekly. I've been to Edison Park, Sauganash, etc. I never feel like I'm NOT "in the city of Chicago" because I realize that I'm in the CITY, yet in a more suburban-looking/feeling area. So maybe when some people say they're going into "the city", they're referencing an area that feels much more urban: buses, El train, housing with less greenery or space in between, etc....

Old 01-07-2018, 09:07 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
He goes into details about things.
Agreed-- and not just details, but accurate and interesting details, which are often in short supply around here.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:16 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Agreed-- and not just details, but accurate and interesting details, which are often in short supply around here.
Appreciated greatly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago