Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:14 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times

Advertisements

^^Yeah, she's in North Lawndale about 5 blocks south of the park (Garfield). I'm sure she's one of the many urban pioneer yuppies that bought in a couple of years ago thinking the neighborhood would turn over quickly due to it's proximity to downtown but I was surprised that she didn't site any apprehensions about raising children in that neighborhood. I know you couldn't pay me to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 07:25 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
^^Yeah, she's in North Lawndale about 5 blocks south of the park (Garfield). I'm sure she's one of the many urban pioneer yuppies that bought in a couple of years ago thinking the neighborhood would turn over quickly due to it's proximity to downtown but I was surprised that she didn't site any apprehensions about raising children in that neighborhood. I know you couldn't pay me to do it.
She is taking a high risk. She would of been better off in Bronzeville if she into the urban pioneer thing.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,241,918 times
I go there to train some dog training program.
It's pretty gritty.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:10 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Default New Townhomes in KTown, North Lawndale

I have driven by those townhomes many times and the residents are basically prisoners in their own homes. They do not dare even cross the street at night. There is a reason why these developments often have high gates, to keep the neighbors and crime out.

I would not live there and pity anyone who does and I do know some folks at my church who do. Very sad area indeed. I don't see any hope for that area anytime soon.

Humboldt Park (north of grand and division) ain't great but areas like K-Town make my area look like the Hamptons.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:01 PM

894 posts, read 2,382,068 times
Quote:
so she lives in Homan Square..well if they are small chidren cool, but once they join their teen years it will be tougher because in that area if they make friends and they are told to join a gang if they say no well they will have a hard time there...

does she go out at night and hang out in the area or does she just live there and she hangs somewhere else

Old 05-22-2009, 03:08 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
so she lives in Homan Square..well if they are small chidren cool, but once they join their teen years it will be tougher because in that area if they make friends and they are told to join a gang if they say no well they will have a hard time there...

does she go out at night and hang out in the area or does she just live there and she hangs somewhere else
Well, they are white so I don't know how much pressure there will be on the kids to join a gang. Not sure who's there -- GDs? They hang out in the area in the day a lot, I know she walks up to the park and the conservatory a few times a week.

While I wouldn't do it I don't know if you guys aren't making too much of it. For the most part if she is polite and sociable with other home owners in the area and minds her own business I don't think anyone is going to gat a woman and children on the street in broad daylight. I would certainly be worried about B&E, car vandalism and mugging though.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:15 PM

894 posts, read 2,382,068 times
it doesnt matter if they are white; if they are in the neighborhood and the local gang (GD's) is recruiting and they feel they can be useful they will put pressure on them to join...

Old 05-22-2009, 04:53 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
Well, they are white so I don't know how much pressure there will be on the kids to join a gang. Not sure who's there -- GDs? They hang out in the area in the day a lot, I know she walks up to the park and the conservatory a few times a week.

While I wouldn't do it I don't know if you guys aren't making too much of it. For the most part if she is polite and sociable with other home owners in the area and minds her own business I don't think anyone is going to gat a woman and children on the street in broad daylight. I would certainly be worried about B&E, car vandalism and mugging though.
Maybe its Vice Lords/4chs over there. Most Chicago gangs accept diversity, so it doesn't matter as much if the kids are white. About time the little kids grow up into teenagers, hopefully the neighborhood be somewhat nicer. Just curious, what made them move in the neighborhood?

Old 05-22-2009, 06:07 PM

425 posts, read 1,437,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post

Just out of curiosity, what are you basing this statement on? I interact on a daily basis with 40-50 of the neighborhood kids, all 6th to 8th graders, and none of them seem the least bit interested in anything but school, soccer, and basketball. Many of the players have 100% school attendance for the year, an accomplishment that I never once achieved. These kids want to succeed. In fact, one of my players yesterday told me about his plans to go to Notre Dame.

So many people choose to turn the other cheek towards the poorer neighborhoods of this city, and write off the residents as destined to continue the cycle. I admit that I have always fallen into that category, but this experience has changed my way of thinking.

And to answer the original question, yes, there is a lot of new development, especially in the blocks between Kedzie and Pulaski, and the Blue Line and Roosevelt.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:12 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,638 times
A lot of buppies(black yuppies) are moving to K-town and building new housing. Its definitely a risk but my cousin's house has gone up in value...It still has a Loooong way to go, K-town is rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago