Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 04:15 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times

Advertisements

4 groups show interest in O'Hare express train project - Chicago Tribune
I thought it was a real long shot, considering that any group building the express rail to OHare would have to pay for it. But with four groups interested, it might happen. It would be more expensive, but faster, than the blue line. I doubt the CTA has anything to worry about for the next ten years, though.

Last edited by pvande55; 02-08-2018 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 10:43 AM

51 posts, read 114,506 times
The blue line takes forever, but I wouldn't want to pay $30 for a direct train downtown. As a Pilsen resident, it'd be cheaper for me to hop the blue line to Damen and take a Lyft straight south home. Otherwise, I'd suck it up and ride to the pink line for almost no money.

However, I'm not the business class they're after. Maybe people wouldn't think twice if they have transportation coverage, company credit cards, etc.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:15 PM

672 posts, read 757,900 times
It might. Likelihood rises if the city lands any of the new Apple, Amazon or Google offices. Chicago’s core is its biggest asset. That part of the city is growing and thriving, and hooking it up to the airport is sound figure planning.

That said, huge projects like this always hit snags, and the city doesn’t have a lot of money to throw around.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:44 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
That said, huge projects like this always hit snags, and the city doesn’t have a lot of money to throw around.
Which is why it's trying to get a private entity to do as much of it as possible, with the city limiting its contribution to, perhaps, some free land and maybe some investment in linking the express to regular transit. At least that's the goal. If the City can do things to streamline the process of getting it planned and built, that could reduce overall costs enough to make a private entity willing to front a significant chunk of the investment. I'm not sure where I think the best place to put the downtown terminal would be. In a perfect world, it might have a three-station underground loop linking North Michigan, Block 37, and the West Loop Metra stations together. If you built that loop, you could run a circulator on it in between express runs and be win/win. I seriously doubt if anything like that is being planned, though.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:53 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
It might. Likelihood rises if the city lands any of the new Apple, Amazon or Google offices. Chicago’s core is its biggest asset. That part of the city is growing and thriving, and hooking it up to the airport is sound figure planning.
its already "hooked up"...

Old 02-13-2018, 11:27 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
These express airport trains are usually not successful in the US. I think it's a waste of money.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:28 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
I fly a lot for work and I've never thought to myself "oh man this commute to downtown is far too long I need an express option".

Perhaps that's because I'm used to it or because when I fly I know patience is necessary. Either way, what is the motivation to get this built? To save a half hour at 10X the cost... at best? I don't see it happening anytime soon. They would be better off digging the blue line all the way underground and expanding the kennedy a couple of lanes. That's my $.02

Old 02-14-2018, 12:52 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default The reality is that "time is money" both for the construction phase and the ongoing revenue stream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I fly a lot for work and I've never thought to myself "oh man this commute to downtown is far too long I need an express option".

Perhaps that's because I'm used to it or because when I fly I know patience is necessary. Either way, what is the motivation to get this built? To save a half hour at 10X the cost... at best? I don't see it happening anytime soon. They would be better off digging the blue line all the way underground and expanding the kennedy a couple of lanes. That's my $.02

The motivation for these things comes from folks who've seen them operate in other places --
https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/lhr_rail.htm
https://www.upexpress.com/
https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...t-express.html

I truly have no interest in determining what sort of "fare structure" would make sense for an O'Hare-to-Loop express train, but it is clear that these other services have very "premium" prices that probably would be appealing to the sorts of firms that would like to have something similar in Chicago.

The issue of "why not make the blue line a subway" is similarly driven by concerns over the SPEED OF CONSTRUCTION -- the most optimistic schedules for a publicly run project like the potential 5.3 mile red line extension that would largely be parallel to existing heavy rail surface routes is something like four years IF it gets funded by 2022... As officials plan Red Line extension, there's still no green to fund it - Chicago Tribune The reality is that similar efforts to expand NY's subway have already taken twice that -- https://untappedcities.com/2015/03/0...-rail-lines/4/
Similar efforts are moving at equally glacial pace -- https://www.theverge.com/2015/11/5/9...al-lirr-access

In contrast the most likely provider of privately built express service moves at a whole different pace -- https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ropulsion-Open
https://hyperloop-one.com/blog/full-...ment-dubai-rta

Old 02-14-2018, 10:51 PM

1,067 posts, read 917,295 times
I travel a lot for work too and have been to London several times in the past year. This project seems to be a carbon copy of the London Heathrow to Piccadilly (20 miles) via the Heathrow Express. Same travel length, time and cost comparison. Cuts the train time from 45 minutes down to 15 minutes and costs about 25 pounds. I take the Heathrow express over the normal train every time and expense the cost. The Heathrow Express is always full every time I ride it and a more upscale train with 2x2 row seats.

However, I do not think this will work in Chicago. London's population is 9 million people and one of the financial capitals of the world with tons of business and international travel flowing through there. Chicago's population is roughly 3 million and while O'hare sees a lot of traffic it's a lot of people on connecting flights and not necessarily staying and going downtown.

I also travel a lot to NYC and neither Newark, LaGuardia or JFK have express trains to Manhattan. You have to take a bus to train or multiple trains and it takes a while. New York population is 9 million so these companies would be better suited testing it in NYC first and seeing if it works there before trying Chicago.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:00 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default The comparison to NY needs to be realistic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
I travel a lot for work too and have been to London several times in the past year. This project seems to be a carbon copy of the London Heathrow to Piccadilly (20 miles) via the Heathrow Express. Same travel length, time and cost comparison. Cuts the train time from 45 minutes down to 15 minutes and costs about 25 pounds. I take the Heathrow express over the normal train every time and expense the cost. The Heathrow Express is always full every time I ride it and a more upscale train with 2x2 row seats.

However, I do not think this will work in Chicago. London's population is 9 million people and one of the financial capitals of the world with tons of business and international travel flowing through there. Chicago's population is roughly 3 million and while O'hare sees a lot of traffic it's a lot of people on connecting flights and not necessarily staying and going downtown.

I also travel a lot to NYC and neither Newark, LaGuardia or JFK have express trains to Manhattan. You have to take a bus to train or multiple trains and it takes a while. New York population is 9 million so these companies would be better suited testing it in NYC first and seeing if it works there before trying Chicago.
While I already said I have no desire to even attempt to determine what the "fair fare" might be I do think that the VALUE is not simply a function of "population" or even size of the workforce. The thing that really might give the ORD to the Loop "rail super express" a huge boost is the way that ORD is such a massive "funnel" AND how concentrated the Loop employment situation is. Ask anybody who has traveled to "NYC" for business and odds are they've landed at not just Newark, LaGuardia or JFK, but also Teterboro, Westchester and other spots. The range of businesses that have major employment centers in the region means LOTS more folks have to make multiple stops when out there. Very different kind of "regionalism" when looking at firms that have primary business functions in Lake, Cook or DuPage Co...

The fact is that despite growth in the South Loop it is extremely rare for anyone to work south of Roosevelt. Similarly, for better or worse, there is are so few folks working in office setting north of even Chicago Ave that it kind of makes Goose Island the outlier / northern limit. The "diagonal" from Goose Island to Roosevelt & Michigan is less than 3 miles -- less that HALF the distance from NYC's Financial District to the Upper East Side.

Now you don't need a PhD in Urban Transit or Economics to realize that if ALL the tourists and essentially EVERY business person landing at ORD is a potential patron of the "super express rail" this things could make a WHOLE LOT OF MONEY very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago