Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:33 PM

145 posts, read 643,885 times

Advertisements

full disclosure: i'm considering buying in Roosevelt Square (RS) near Taylor and Racine. Looks to be a decent neighborhood but am troubled with the fact that RS will try to integrate public housing recipients, "working class" families (unsure what that designation means exactly), and "market rate" families (people like me I suppose). I'm torn because we really like the area, see the potential, feel safe (in the day anyway, haven't spent any nights there) but keep worrying about getting involved in what amounts to a large scale social experimentation. I value C-data's disparate opinions and see it as the best form of collective thought rather than group think, which is what I would get if I just asked a bunch of my friends. So whaddaya think? Mixed income good or berry berry bad or dunno???

Old 03-24-2008, 07:45 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
If you are having so many doubts about an area, maybe that should be a red flag for you not to move there instead of posting 6 different questions about the same area that basically boil down to asking the same question over and over while basically getting the same answers over and over.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 03-24-2008 at 08:02 PM..

Old 03-24-2008, 08:18 PM

145 posts, read 643,885 times
a little on the harsh side but to each their own i suppose...

question wasn't about a specific n-hood but about this mixed income concept which also happen to apply to a n-hood I'm interested in. if you have a opinion on that (the mixed income part), chime in, else may i suggest a night cap or two instead?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
In the abstract, I like the idea better than stacking the poor in vertical "poverty warehouses" where they never have to interact with the rest of society. On a personal level, whether or not you want to be part of this experiment will depend a lot on your own personal comfort level which we cannot really answer for you.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:20 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,084 times
Personally, I feel if we, as a nation, are going to embrace free market capitalism (despite mass misconception of the concept) than these sort of experiments should be done away with. The market should be left to it's own devices. Which includes not only 'poverty warehouses', but mixed income development as well.

I would like to add the ramifactions, in the societal sense, could be less than desired.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:32 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Capitalism is tool, a means to an end. Its a very good but imperfect tool It is not the end itself. Leaving the market "to its own devices" is a recipe for social disaster.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:29 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
It depends on what your concerns truly are.
If you don't mind a racially integrated neighborhood where some of your neighbors may or may not work, where they may or may not take pride in their property because it's really the governments', where some people may or may not have the same values as you in terms of education, work ethic, child rearing, discipline, etc.

I always thought that a realtor couldn't disclose whether an area was for mixed income housing or not?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:04 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Capitalism is tool, a means to an end. Its a very good but imperfect tool It is not the end itself. Leaving the market "to its own devices" is a recipe for social disaster.
Intervention is a recipe for social disaster. Take for example minimum wage and rent control and welfare.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:00 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Default Save it for the politics forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Intervention is a recipe for social disaster. Take for example minimum wage and rent control and welfare.
Sure! Like social security, unemployment insurance, the FDIC and the Chrysler bailout!

Old 03-25-2008, 12:13 PM

12 posts, read 58,275 times
I wouldn't want to live in a mixed income development. The thought of coming home from a long day's work and seeing my unemployed neighbors hanging out in front of my overpriced condo, drnking a couple brewskies, knowing that they had probably been there all day hanging out, is not my idea of fairness.

My quick, probably boring, story...

I was driving home from work north on Racine from Roosevelt a late afternoon a couple summers ago, and I noticed on the back stairwell/balcony of one of those new Roosevelt Square buildings about 50 "residents" hanging out and having a good ol time. I cringed thinking about the poor sap coming home from work that had to make his way up to his condo through that mess. Unfortunately, that is now my everlasting picture of Roosevelt Square, and mixed income communities in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago