Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,889 times

Advertisements

I'll go to DePaul (Loop campus) this fall and look for apartments/ neighborhood recommendations. So far I checked some buildings around Roosevelt station and wanna know if it's a safe area for me(female) to get back alone during the night since my classes won't be finished until 9:00 pm. My budget for a studio/convertible is around $1700 (I don't have any pets or car). Is this a reasonable budget? Or should I consider raising my budget to $2000 and looking in the River North area? I heard the south part of Chicago is quite dangerous I just don't know if South Loop is part of that "South." To be honest, looking the crime rates is quite concerning. So I wanna hear some local advice. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Yac; 12-07-2020 at 02:44 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 12:56 PM

23 posts, read 20,584 times
Eh, that's not a truly 'bad' area, but there always do seem to be a few weirdos hanging out around there, in my experience...maybe not the best choice for a young female just moving to Chicago.

Can I convince you to consider looking north near a Brown Line station instead? If I were in your shoes, I'd look for something near either the Paulina, Southport, or maybe even Addison Brown Line stations (though others may work as well). Those are great areas for young people, and you should easily be able to find a very nice studio or 1 bedroom in your budget range.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack64 View Post
Eh, that's not a truly 'bad' area, but there always do seem to be a few weirdos hanging out around there, in my experience...maybe not the best choice for a young female just moving to Chicago.

Can I convince you to consider looking north near a Brown Line station instead? If I were in your shoes, I'd look for something near either the Paulina, Southport, or maybe even Addison Brown Line stations (though others may work as well). Those are great areas for young people, and you should easily be able to find a very nice studio or 1 bedroom in your budget range.
Hi GMack64, thanks for your reply. Just looked the area you mentioned, seems to be a quite convincing area with the low crime rates. I'm gonna look more deeply into it. The only cons I see right now is the commuting time. It's gonna take me 30mins to get to school which means when I get back it's probably around 10:00 pm. Is Brown line safe during the night? I looked a student apartment right next to my school, and it's a little bit over $1700 for a private bed&bathroom with shared kitchen&living room with a roommate. They also have a private studio which is $2049/month+water bill. This one is super temptatious cause the location just can't be beaten. Do you have any other suggestion for somewhere within 10-15 mins by train? Or do you think I should consider the student apartment? I really liked the Paulina you mentioned though. It's just kinda scary to live alone in a new city.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:29 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
The brown line is great, I'd live anywhere along it, but the stops mentioned above are especially good in your situation. You can always take a Lyft or Uber at night if you're concerned about your safety. I am an older female, I am comfortable out in those areas at that time of night.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:37 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
The brown line is considered to be the safest L line. I'm not terribly fond of the area you mention. My son went to school at DePaul downtown and he always lived further north. Most students do not live around there unless they live in that big dorm that the schools has with the other schools.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:44 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Wow, you people are afraid of Roosevelt and State St? Are you also afraid of things that go bump in the night?

Old 04-03-2018, 09:34 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
There are more than a handful of characters in that area and a lack of security, but incidents there aren't the norm. Some hoodrat hassling you for money is as bad as it gets usually

Old 04-03-2018, 11:05 PM

1,080 posts, read 836,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Wow, you people are afraid of Roosevelt and State St? Are you also afraid of things that go bump in the night?
Hey man, those yuppies walking from their $2500/month apartments to Trader Joe's (which is literally less than a block from the Roosevelt station) or one of the several sushi, tapas, or gastropub places within two blocks can be pretty scary!

Old 04-04-2018, 05:00 AM

846 posts, read 1,399,997 times
Oh geez. I live at Clark/Polk and use the Roosevelt Station at ALL hours. Sure, there's a handful of spicy individuals but they're harmless unless you're annoyed by walking through a crowd of cigarette smoke or by higher-than-average amount of people wearing Canada Goose jackets. The area is serviced by multiple college security patrols as well as CPD. We moved here after our car was stolen in Uptown and subsequent events.

My building has large studios starting at about $1500 with W/D in unit and dishwasher. Hoards of college kids live here from City Colleges, DePaul, Roosevelt, Columbia to name a few.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:56 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
The area is perfectly fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago