Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 04:51 PM

18 posts, read 42,010 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I’m looking to relocate to either Chicag, NYC, or Austin. I was wondering how the dating scene is in Chicago either in general or compared to one or both of those cities (for a male 27-years old) If I could get some opinions from anyone who has either lived in the cities, has visited a lot, or has friends who have talked about dating there.

Another thing to note is I don’t do dating apps..prefer meeting girls out so I can get to know them first. So a city that would fit that condition would be great.

I’m not looking for a relationship right now, but would also not be totally opposed to one.
How are the women in Chicago? NYC I know has some gorgeous ones..and there are a lot of them. Is it pretty much the same in Chicago?

I’m not into the hipster thing..so more conventional attractiveness. And are any of them more in favor for men dating VS women dating? I’m ok with the ratio of normal guys to normal girls being a little skewed in favor/not in favor for guys, but is it pretty noticeable in either of the cities?

Also, do the girls tend to have a personality difference in them or does it tend to be similar? I know Austin has a ton of transplants, so I figured that would maybe offset the size difference of the city.

Any opinions would be great since I’m looking to relocate soon. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 09:49 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
I guess I'll take a stab with my 2 cents...

Lived in Chicago for two years and dated a bit but I was in grad school and my experiences were basically confined to my school environment. I felt like there were plenty of attractive females and plenty of opportunities though if desired.

I've only visited Austin twice and both times were with my SO so no experience at all. But certainly lots of attractive females. Maybe a bit skewed towards the college scene compared to your other two options, but not terribly so.

For me, and I always say this, NYC was always the best. It just really seems like the pool is largest there. Lots of single women desperately (somewhat) seeking eligible and desirable guys. It always seemed like the numbers were in my favor. I've mostly been an attractive guy but not the most gregarious or assertive guy, which was generally my weakness in other settings. But in NYC I guess that never mattered...so yeah, easily the best city for me in my single days. btw I never lived in NYC, but visited many many times. Sometimes for weeks.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:33 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
Chicago has a fairly large overweight-to-obese population ratio compared to NYC and Austin, so that can affect your dating pool if weight is a deal-breaker. Of course Chicago is a very large city so there are also some attractive girls in the more vibrant, health-conscience neighborhoods as well. The obesity levels in the less trendy, higher crime areas are pretty evident, but realistically you won't be seeking relationships from girls there.

If you make a good income, are good-looking, and/or are charismatic and confident naturally, you will be fine.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:08 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Chicago has an excellent dating scene. MANY single young professionals in their late 20s. With a city of this size, of course there are plenty of beautiful women (of all styles).

Old 04-22-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I guess I'll take a stab with my 2 cents...

Lived in Chicago for two years and dated a bit but I was in grad school and my experiences were basically confined to my school environment. I felt like there were plenty of attractive females and plenty of opportunities though if desired.

I've only visited Austin twice and both times were with my SO so no experience at all. But certainly lots of attractive females. Maybe a bit skewed towards the college scene compared to your other two options, but not terribly so.

For me, and I always say this, NYC was always the best. It just really seems like the pool is largest there. Lots of single women desperately (somewhat) seeking eligible and desirable guys. It always seemed like the numbers were in my favor. I've mostly been an attractive guy but not the most gregarious or assertive guy, which was generally my weakness in other settings. But in NYC I guess that never mattered...so yeah, easily the best city for me in my single days. btw I never lived in NYC, but visited many many times. Sometimes for weeks.
Thanks for the detailed response. This is what I’ve kinda heard from friends, but none of them actually live in the cities. It seems to be NYC is the best bet at least for this category in my decision making. Then it sounds like Austin then Chicago

Old 04-23-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Chicago has a fairly large overweight-to-obese population ratio compared to NYC and Austin, so that can affect your dating pool if weight is a deal-breaker. Of course Chicago is a very large city so there are also some attractive girls in the more vibrant, health-conscience neighborhoods as well. The obesity levels in the less trendy, higher crime areas are pretty evident, but realistically you won't be seeking relationships from girls there.

If you make a good income, are good-looking, and/or are charismatic and confident naturally, you will be fine.
This is what I've heard. I guess being a big city it's definitely not impossible to find more attractive girls, but that the group average is lower

Old 04-23-2018, 09:18 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Great options, but the women tend to also have high standards, hard to impress, and don't seem in a rush to settle down at all. IF you have a great job and your stuff together in smaller cities, women tend to be more impressed and see you as a catch.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:02 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex3680 View Post
This is what I've heard. I guess being a big city it's definitely not impossible to find more attractive girls, but that the group average is lower
I don't know. I would definitely put Chicago a tier below NYC/LA in terms of women's looks, but I find there are a lot of attractive women here. Very diverse too, depending on what you like. I'm not sure how it compares to Austin, but if you live anywhere downtown or in the popular north side neighborhoods (only mentioning these b/c they are what I'm most familiar with), you will find several attractive women. Just sheer numbers-wise, Chicago is great.

The other thing I've noticed about Chicago that gives it a leg up IMO, is that women here tend to be very social and approachable out in public. Women actually want to date here, which isn't the case in all major cities. Chicago is a very social city whether it's local bar hangouts, sports and social teams, other activities clubs, etc. so there are lots of opportunities to date without having to rely on online dating. However, even in online dating, women actually make an attempt to date. I can't speak on Austin. I am familiar with NYC as I have family that lives there (I could never personally live there), but I don't know what the dating scene is like since I only visit. Chicago has a very good dating scene based on places I've lived.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I don't know. I would definitely put Chicago a tier below NYC/LA in terms of women's looks, but I find there are a lot of attractive women here. Very diverse too, depending on what you like. I'm not sure how it compares to Austin, but if you live anywhere downtown or in the popular north side neighborhoods (only mentioning these b/c they are what I'm most familiar with), you will find several attractive women. Just sheer numbers-wise, Chicago is great.

The other thing I've noticed about Chicago that gives it a leg up IMO, is that women here tend to be very social and approachable out in public. Women actually want to date here, which isn't the case in all major cities. Chicago is a very social city whether it's local bar hangouts, sports and social teams, other activities clubs, etc. so there are lots of opportunities to date without having to rely on online dating. However, even in online dating, women actually make an attempt to date. I can't speak on Austin. I am familiar with NYC as I have family that lives there (I could never personally live there), but I don't know what the dating scene is like since I only visit. Chicago has a very good dating scene based on places I've lived.

Awesome, thanks. Good to know there’s a good non-app dating scene there

Old 04-24-2018, 12:33 PM

32 posts, read 38,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

I'm in a similar situation as the OP -- 26/M, single, and moving to Chicago. What would be the best neighborhoods to live in for someone that's dating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago