Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 09:00 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,879 times

Advertisements

I am about to get ready to sign a lease for a new apartment, but not sure if this is a practice that I should be weary of or suspicious. It's been a while since I have had to look for a new apartment.

The apartment I want requires no security deposit which is great. Like most, you have to fill out an application with an application fee. The interesting part is that they ask you to pay the application fee, move in fee, and first month's rent all in one when submitting the application. Is that odd?

I would think that you would apply, pay the application fee. Then if you get approved, sign a lease and that is when you submit the move in fee and first month's rent. Or is this common practice? I looked them up on Yelp on the have some mixed reviews. I saw one reviewer said that she filled out the application, payed the move in fee, and the first month's rent, only to have her application rejected. She is still waiting to get her money back.

I kind of feel like telling my agent I will gladly fill out the application and pay the application fee, but prefer to see if I get approved before I also send money for the move in and first month's rent.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 09:24 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
You should be suspicious. I'm a landlord and ask for things in stages. I'm also renting in a high rise and did not pay the first months rent until after I passed income / credit check and signed the lease. Just pay the application fee until you sign the lease...then pay the move in fee / first months rent after you sign the lease because it will be backed up by a signed lease. That's the normal process.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:29 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
You should be suspicious. I'm a landlord and ask for things in stages. I'm also renting in a high rise and did not pay the first months rent until after I passed income / credit check and signed the lease. Just pay the application fee until you sign the lease...then pay the move in fee / first months rent after you sign the lease because it will be backed up by a signed lease. That's the normal process.
Yeah those were my thoughts. That's what I am going to tell them. I just find it odd you would have to pay all those other things if you haven't even passed the application yet.

Also when you check the credit what do you normally look for? Is it the credit score or to see if there were evictions?

Old 04-21-2018, 10:28 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Also when you check the credit what do you normally look for? Is it the credit score or to see if there were evictions?
Both

Old 04-22-2018, 07:55 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,166 times
When I first leased an apartment, until they approved us over another group of guys, we didn't pay anything. After that, 4 of us split like a non-refundable ~$400 admin fee (split between 4 of us) and then paid our first month's rent. We didn't pay a security deposit. I would imagine a security deposit is common, just not in the timeline you're describing.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:31 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
It sounds fishy. I'm a landlord. I don't require an application fee but some do. I just take applications, then show the apt. If parties agree, then they submit security deposit and first months rent and get the key. Or depending on timing they could provide security deposit and then first months rent a week or so later and get key. Some landlords are not taking security deposits. They are charging move in fee. You don't get this back. I refund my security deposits if there is no damage. Watch out for scams where you pay up front and then get scammed and don't get the apt. A woman posted on Facebook she paid a landlord up front and when she went back to get the key he locked the gate and would not answer her and did not respond to communications and kept her money.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:32 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
You only pay after you have a signed contract and viewed the place.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:29 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
fishy to me too

Old 04-25-2018, 03:21 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
I wouldn't be paying anything (except for an application fee) until the application is approved and the lease is drawn up. Generally you put down the deposit/move-in fee when signing the lease.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:51 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
I am also a landlord. It could be that they already know they are approving you and the application fee goes to the entity that handles the paperwork. Meaning the application fee is not some sort of background check nor would it be contingent on one.

My condo building requires a $300 application fee which does include a background check. I usually eat this cost though.

Move-in fees and first months rent due upfront is a very frequent practice. If you're unsure of the validity of such a thing, definitely go the route you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago