Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:59 AM

7 posts, read 10,992 times

Advertisements

Is Evanston to suburban? do you enjoy living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 09:55 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
It's not too suburban at all. One of the best suburbs in the area. I wouldn't live there though.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:37 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
It's beautiful, IMO. The best aspects of both city and suburban life. And more diversity than certain popular parts of Chicago's North Side. It is one of the most expensive areas in Greater Chicago, however, in terms of rental prices.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:19 PM

82 posts, read 95,878 times
I have mixed feelings about Evanston. In my heart, I love it, but I have concerns. It's an area I seriously considered moving to, before settling on Chicago itself.

On the one hand, it's an ideal inner-ring suburb: close to Chicago, wonderfully-diverse housing stock, thriving downtown, and access to light-rail. For me: it's just the right amount of density. Basically, it checks a lot of boxes for folks looking to have the best of both worlds: urban + suburban.

On the other hand, Evanston's property taxes are horrendous: it's part of the reason why home prices are relatively "cheap." You can find a quality single-family home in Evanston for under $700k, and nice condos for less than $300k, but what you save in flat price, you'll lose in taxes. The city earns the dubious distinction of having Illinois' highest property taxes. I understand property taxes go largely to school funding, but I don't think district 65 and 202 are really up to par based the assessments.

The other concern I have is about the future of downtown, itself. I worry that Evanston will go the way of the West Loop: too much of a good thing, leading to developers ruining a good thing. Basically, it runs the risk of becoming a victim of it's own success. There's a real concern that some of the new proposed developments (which are getting taller, and more massive), are going to kill the ambiance of the downtown: canonization could stymie the walk-able ambiance that exists today, becoming sort of like a LOOP or LaSalle Street.

In short, it's a great town, but I wasn't ready to go long on it.

https://patch.com/illinois/evanston/...rty-tax-impact

Old 08-03-2018, 06:03 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEddy View Post
I have mixed feelings about Evanston. In my heart, I love it, but I have concerns. It's an area I seriously considered moving to, before settling on Chicago itself.

On the one hand, it's an ideal inner-ring suburb: close to Chicago, wonderfully-diverse housing stock, thriving downtown, and access to light-rail. For me: it's just the right amount of density. Basically, it checks a lot of boxes for folks looking to have the best of both worlds: urban + suburban.

On the other hand, Evanston's property taxes are horrendous: it's part of the reason why home prices are relatively "cheap." You can find a quality single-family home in Evanston for under $700k, and nice condos for less than $300k, but what you save in flat price, you'll lose in taxes. The city earns the dubious distinction of having Illinois' highest property taxes. I understand property taxes go largely to school funding, but I don't think district 65 and 202 are really up to par based the assessments.

The other concern I have is about the future of downtown, itself. I worry that Evanston will go the way of the West Loop: too much of a good thing, leading to developers ruining a good thing. Basically, it runs the risk of becoming a victim of it's own success. There's a real concern that some of the new proposed developments (which are getting taller, and more massive), are going to kill the ambiance of the downtown: canonization could stymie the walk-able ambiance that exists today, becoming sort of like a LOOP or LaSalle Street.

In short, it's a great town, but I wasn't ready to go long on it.

https://patch.com/illinois/evanston/...rty-tax-impact
call me naive, but do not see the West Loop thing happen in DT Evanston. The city council has been pretty tight on how it regulates height and density and a number of high profile plans were nixed by the city.

Evanston obviously differs from the West Loop. Evanston is a municipality; the West Loop is a neighborhood. So Evanston is in far better shape to mold itself the way it wants to be than the West Loop is.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
call me naive, but do not see the West Loop thing happen in DT Evanston. The city council has been pretty tight on how it regulates height and density and a number of high profile plans were nixed by the city.

Evanston obviously differs from the West Loop. Evanston is a municipality; the West Loop is a neighborhood. So Evanston is in far better shape to mold itself the way it wants to be than the West Loop is.

I hope you're right, but this approved list doesn't exactly seem to sway me. A few of these are just glorified towers-on-a-parking-podium (a la South Loop or West Loop), which are a huge buzz-kill for any city aesthetic, in my opinion. The Maple and both Oak Ave developments look particularly out of sync here.

Neighborhood vs municipality aside, I've not been impressed by the Evanston's city council's seemingly alder-manic style approach to rubber stamping many of the projects (perhaps too many). I'm all for reasonable in-fill and some of the low-rise projects do look quite nice. But overall, the other mid/high-rises look exactly like the type of character-ruining developments I'm afraid of. Furthermore, their decision to demolish the Harley Clarke mansion at the behest of a privately funded group of neighbors is equally troubling; I certainly don't have faith in their ability to mold anything.

https://www.cityofevanston.org/gover...ed-development

Old 08-03-2018, 08:07 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20202020newnit View Post
Is Evanston to suburban? do you enjoy living there?
I am an Evanston native and have lived in Evanston for most of my life (I am currently in my 20s). Evanston is where the best of urban and suburban living come together. There are three classic commercial districts in Evanston, The Main-Dempster Mile, Central Street, and Downtown Evanston. The two former are characterized by boutique shopping and small-scale dining venues. They are very reminiscent of the classic railcar suburban downtowns of yore. However, Downtown Evanston has exploded over the past two decades. Downtown Evanston is home to restaurants with prominent chefs, a large cinema, corporate offices, hotels, and more chain shopping. Downtown Evanston can feel a little like Downtown Northwestern to me, unfortunately. What I love most about living in Evanston is that the community has incredible values, historic architecture, fantastic public services, convenience, and an incomparable lakefront.

Quote:
On the other hand, Evanston's property taxes are horrendous: it's part of the reason why home prices are relatively "cheap." You can find a quality single-family home in Evanston for under $700k, and nice condos for less than $300k, but what you save in flat price, you'll lose in taxes. The city earns the dubious distinction of having Illinois' highest property taxes.
Evanston's property taxes by mill rate are far from the highest in Illinois. They are not even the highest on North Shore. Neighboring Skokie's property tax rate is higher.

See: Cook County property tax rates: Look up your town, estimate your bill

Evanston housing prices being described as "relatively cheap" is a new one to me. Relatively cheap to where? New York? Because they are certainly not relatively cheap to anything in its proximity.

Quote:
I understand property taxes go largely to school funding, but I don't think district 65 and 202 are really up to par based the assessments.
I couldn't disagree more. Evanston's public school demographics are predominately minority, and a large segment are low-income by the state's definition. It is not a traditional suburban school demographic. However, white students perform at the very top of the state on state examinations. Beyond assessments, you need to appreciate that Evanston schools have facilities that are unparalleled. Evanston Township High School has the largest high school building (sqft under one roof) in the United States, despite it being far from the largest student body. The school even has a planetarium.

Quote:
I can agree with this. However, the most controversial plans have all been rejected as of late.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:33 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post

Evanston's property taxes by mill rate are far from the highest in Illinois. They are not even the highest on North Shore. Neighboring Skokie's property tax rate is higher.

Evanston housing prices being described as "relatively cheap" is a new one to me. Relatively cheap to where? New York? Because they are certainly not relatively cheap to anything in its proximity.
Hopefully NYEddy can qualify that a little more. Maybe his perspective is more from an investor’s side(?)

Old 08-06-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I am an Evanston native and have lived in Evanston for most of my life (I am currently in my 20s). Evanston is where the best of urban and suburban living come together. There are three classic commercial districts in Evanston, The Main-Dempster Mile, Central Street, and Downtown Evanston. The two former are characterized by boutique shopping and small-scale dining venues. They are very reminiscent of the classic railcar suburban downtowns of yore. However, Downtown Evanston has exploded over the past two decades. Downtown Evanston is home to restaurants with prominent chefs, a large cinema, corporate offices, hotels, and more chain shopping. Downtown Evanston can feel a little like Downtown Northwestern to me, unfortunately. What I love most about living in Evanston is that the community has incredible values, historic architecture, fantastic public services, convenience, and an incomparable lakefront.

I couldn't disagree more. Evanston's public school demographics are predominately minority, and a large segment are low-income by the state's definition. It is not a traditional suburban school demographic. However, white students perform at the very top of the state on state examinations. Beyond assessments, you need to appreciate that Evanston schools have facilities that are unparalleled. Evanston Township High School has the largest high school building (sqft under one roof) in the United States, despite it being far from the largest student body. The school even has a planetarium.

I can agree with this. However, the most controversial plans have all been rejected as of late.
Look, I'm just here to express my opinions as a previously prospective Evanston resident. I seriously considered moving there, but the cons outweighed the pros in my book, and the pros are looking questionable in the future. I wanted to like it, really. In my heart, I like its ethos, but practically-speaking, it is a tough sell.

The high schools are not impressive given the property taxes. I get that property taxes go to fund schools in Illinois; I'm okay with that. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on property taxes, I just want to know I am sending my kids to one of the best high schools in the area.

According to the US News Rankings, unfortunately, neither Evanston 65 or 202 makes the top 50 public schools in the State. I stopped scrolling after that, honestly. Not even sure they are top 100.

Evanston also has the lowest median listing price on the North Shore and a lower than average sales prices compared to Suburbs immediately to the North of it. On a sale price and $/square foot basis, it is also trending the wrong way relative to other nearby suburbs and even relative to Chicago (particularly the North-side neighborhoods). If you zoom into the map in the link below, you can see neighborhoods (even East towards the Lake) where there median listings have a '3' handle. This to me, qualifies as cheap, relative to surrounding communities.

Furthermore, according to the Patch article: the tax burden (taxes relative to housing cost) is the worst in Illinois and among the worst in the Nation. That means Evanston residents pay a higher % of taxes relative to their homes worth, and don't have any appreciation to show for it. Not a good recipe.

All this, combined with questionable new developments, means Evanston was sadly not a worthwhile investment at this point in its history, to me.

https://www.cityofevanston.org/gover...ll-explanation

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...inois/rankings

Last edited by Yac; 11-30-2020 at 11:33 PM..

Old 08-06-2018, 05:04 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Look, I'm just here to express my opinions as a previously prospective Evanston resident. I seriously considered moving there, but the cons outweighed the pros in my book, and the pros are looking questionable in the future. I wanted to like it, really. In my heart, I like its ethos, but practically-speaking, it is a tough sell.

The high schools are not impressive given the property taxes. I get that property taxes go to fund schools in Illinois; I'm okay with that. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on property taxes, I just want to know I am sending my kids to one of the best high schools in the area.

According to the US News Rankings, unfortunately, neither Evanston 65 or 202 makes the top 50 public schools in the State. I stopped scrolling after that, honestly. Not even sure they are top 100.

Evanston also has the lowest median listing price on the North Shore and a lower than average sales prices compared to Suburbs immediately to the North of it. On a sale price and $/square foot basis, it is also trending the wrong way relative to other nearby suburbs and even relative to Chicago (particularly the North-side neighborhoods). If you zoom into the map in the link below, you can see neighborhoods (even East towards the Lake) where there median listings have a '3' handle. This to me, qualifies as cheap, relative to surrounding communities.

Furthermore, according to the Patch article: the tax burden (taxes relative to housing cost) is the worst in Illinois and among the worst in the Nation. That means Evanston residents pay a higher % of taxes relative to their homes worth, and don't have any appreciation to show for it. Not a good recipe.

All this, combined with questionable new developments, means Evanston was sadly not a worthwhile investment at this point in its history, to me.

https://www.cityofevanston.org/gover...ll-explanation

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...inois/rankings
The rankings depend on what criteria was used. While it slipped in the rankings nationally, Niche ranks it #4 in standout high schools in Illinois behind Proviso Math Academy, Westinghouse College Prep and Carbondale Community high school.

There are many, many opportunities at ETHS for students to excel.

https://www.niche.com/k12/evanston-t...n-il/rankings/

It also ranked #10 in the most challenging schools in Illinois from the Washington Post (last year)
https://www.eths.k12.il.us/site/Defa...lexDataID=3927

ETHS partners with Northwestern

An all women team from ETHS will have their project launched into space.
https://dailynorthwestern.com/2018/0...tories/212656/

Quote:
Bloom’s four-person team, called NESS — an acronym using each person on the team’s first initial and also the Hebrew word for “miracle” — created an experiment that will send bumblebees into space and observe how they behave in microgravity, Bloom said.

“(Bloom and her team) had great scientific reasoning behind (their experiment),” Lucas said. “It was an interesting and unique experiment, and they did a great job of research and providing a lot of details. … It checked all the boxes as far as being good science, likely to have good results and somewhat unique.”
There is a new STEAM program that debuted at ETHS in Fall 2017
https://www.sesp.northwestern.edu/ne...thwestern.html

Quote:
Like the summer pilot project, ETHS’s new STEAM course will build off successful Northwestern programs such as the course “Design Thinking and Doing,” and “Big Data as Art,” a collaborative course between the McCormick School of Engineering and the Art Institute of Chicago.

McCormick Dean Julio Ottino, who has long advocated blending the fields of art, design and STEM, will sit on the advisory board for the new ETHS course.

“We wanted to take things that are working at the University and bring them to the high school,” Perkins said.

Last edited by Yac; 11-30-2020 at 11:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago