Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 05:36 PM

11 posts, read 10,448 times

Advertisements

If you had up to $1 million to spend in Chicago, where would you live? Schools aren't important as kids are older. Would love to be able to walk to everything and have lots of options nearby (restaurants, bars, grocery, etc). Need the opinions of current Chicagoans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 07:38 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
There are so many good choices, but the reality is that $1M would likely get very different sorts of housing in different parts of Chicago. Gold Coast you'd probably be looking at an older condo, maybe with some nice details or good views, but probably not with.

Lincoln Park you might have more choices, but if you wanted single family detached it likely would be older.

Ditto for Hyde Park. You might get a relatively large and mostly good condition single family detached for $1M in Lincoln Square.

Hotter / hipper areas like Wicker Park you might get a newish condo.

Any of those areas would offer a nice range of walkable shopping, dining, and social options.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:25 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
If high-rises are your thing, there's an area known as "Lakeshore East" that I would consider.

https://www.som.com/projects/lakeshore_east_master_plan

https://www.chicagocondofinder.com/lakeshore-east.php

If you prefer to be a bit removed from downtown, then Lincoln Park is always a favorite.

Other areas mentioned are also worth a look... a lot of options to consider depending on your personality.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 08-27-2018 at 08:55 AM..

Old 08-27-2018, 08:12 AM

629 posts, read 542,838 times
Near north side

Old 08-27-2018, 11:59 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Aside from being able to walk to day to day things like restaurants, bars, grocery, etc. and a budget of a million dollars, are there any other factors to consider?

Old 08-27-2018, 12:30 PM

11 posts, read 10,448 times
Not really. My husband and I are in our 50's and live to eat (and drink!) Would really love a parking spot as having to mark our territory on the street for a spot stress me out! I'm assuming we'll only have 1 car since he will be retired by the time we make the move. I think as long as we have plenty of places close by to walk to, we'll be happy.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:33 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are so many good choices, but the reality is that $1M would likely get very different sorts of housing in different parts of Chicago. Gold Coast you'd probably be looking at an older condo, maybe with some nice details or good views, but probably not with.

Lincoln Park you might have more choices, but if you wanted single family detached it likely would be older.

Ditto for Hyde Park. You might get a relatively large and mostly good condition single family detached for $1M in Lincoln Square.

Hotter / hipper areas like Wicker Park you might get a newish condo.

Any of those areas would offer a nice range of walkable shopping, dining, and social options.
Agreed. $1 million with all the desired amenities, would vary greatly as far as what type of place you could get, based on neighborhood. Some neighborhoods, you’d get a great place, other neighborhoods (like some of the ones you listed) may limit the type of place you could get, even with a $1 million budget.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:23 PM

504 posts, read 495,571 times
I would live in a giant condo along the lake. Possibly in Lakeview

Old 08-28-2018, 07:43 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Chicago isn't NY -- yet. Which means $1M will get you plenty of condo anywhere.

Since you aren't looking at is an investment property but as a place to live, the only answer is to come down and start looking.

The most straightforward answer is just "downtown" -- River North, Gold Coast, Streeterville, West Loop, maybe South Loop. For affluent empty nesters, that is likely the default. Although you may want to look at places like Old Town and Lincoln Park as well.

It also depends on income and taste. You could buy a luxury condo in a high rise for that amount of money in the Gold Coast, but are you prepared to spend a lot of money every time you walk out the door just to buy a sandwich? Your 'neighborhood restaurants will be tourist destinations with average dinner tickets of like $80 per person. Or do you prefer to be surrounded by more accessible, more independent destinations?

I'm not in the age (or income!) bracket yet, but if it were me... I think in terms of pure desirability I'd be looking at the blocks east of the Mag Mile from Oak Street Beach to the river. After that maybe Streeterville (other side of Mag Mile). West Loop is great but the demo to my eyes is a bit younger than your age will be.

deciding on a neighborhood to live in isn't really something that can be decided based on on-line information. You just have to go there and walk around and experience the city and decide what you like. It's all about the vibe and where you feel comfortable, all else being equal.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:25 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
jonnynonos is correct. You can live anywhere you want and get garage parking with that budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago