Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 02:43 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for the help on my Old Town question.

We are actually looking at an apartment in Wicker Park. Specifically by North Ave and Paulina Street.

Other than a few visits, I'm not super knowledgeable of this spot. I know Wicker is one of the better neighborhoods, that it used to be more bohemian, now more gentrified, so to speak.

It still feels grittier than Lincoln Square. But tons of cool businesses and this place is 2 blocks from the 606 which is very attractive.

This location would be an adjustment - moving from Brown to Blue, a busier feel. Just a different vibe and area.

My questions:

1) Anyone familiar with that exact location? Does it lean safer or more dangerous than a typical Wicker Park spot?

2) I've been reading about relatively recent issues in Wicker/Bucktown with more crimes, and the community gathering about it. Anyone know if this is just your typical crime uptick we are seeing all over the place, or if Wicker has recently gotten noticeably worse in particular?

3) My wife would take the L 3x/week. She'd have to either walk 4-5 blocks west along North Ave to the Damen stop, or walk 5-6 blocks south/east along Paulina to the Division stop which is actually underground. Anyone have insights as to the safety of those walks, and if the Division stop is safe?

4) How "young" is Wicker Park? We are in our early 50s and feel that Lincoln Square has a great mix of ages. If we moved to Wicker Park, would we be an anomaly at our age, surrounded by 20s/30s only? (Note, we are a bit younger in spirit than our calendar ages). My impression is that Wicker Park is younger....but HOW young is the question.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 03:11 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Thanks all for the help on my Old Town question.

We are actually looking at an apartment in Wicker Park. Specifically by North Ave and Paulina Street.

Other than a few visits, I'm not super knowledgeable of this spot. I know Wicker is one of the better neighborhoods, that it used to be more bohemian, now more gentrified, so to speak.

It still feels grittier than Lincoln Square. But tons of cool businesses and this place is 2 blocks from the 606 which is very attractive.

This location would be an adjustment - moving from Brown to Blue, a busier feel. Just a different vibe and area.

My questions:

1) Anyone familiar with that exact location? Does it lean safer or more dangerous than a typical Wicker Park spot?

2) I've been reading about relatively recent issues in Wicker/Bucktown with more crimes, and the community gathering about it. Anyone know if this is just your typical crime uptick we are seeing all over the place, or if Wicker has recently gotten noticeably worse in particular?

3) My wife would take the L 3x/week. She'd have to either walk 4-5 blocks west along North Ave to the Damen stop, or walk 5-6 blocks south/east along Paulina to the Division stop which is actually underground. Anyone have insights as to the safety of those walks, and if the Division stop is safe?

4) How "young" is Wicker Park? We are in our early 50s and feel that Lincoln Square has a great mix of ages. If we moved to Wicker Park, would we be an anomaly at our age, surrounded by 20s/30s only? (Note, we are a bit younger in spirit than our calendar ages). My impression is that Wicker Park is younger....but HOW young is the question.

Thanks in advance.
I have friends living on Paulina at North in a duplex. Wicker Park and Bucktown seem to have crime issues similar to Near North Side and Lincoln Park—crimes of opportunity and property crime. Wicker Park and Bucktown are an interesting mix of the upscale and the artist, although leaning more in the direction of the former than the latter at this point.

I work in the area and personally own property on Division in Humboldt Park. I find that anything east of Western Avenue is highly gentrified and points west are more of a mix.

As far as age distribution, I would think that the City of Chicago has that information broken down by the 77. I would be surprised if the age mix is substantially different between Lincoln Square and West Town CAs.

Old 01-18-2023, 03:51 PM

Thank you.

Looking at the stats, Wicker Park isn't one of the 77. It's West Town. But the age difference is there.

% of population between 20-35 is 32% in LS and 45% in West Town
% of population between 50-65 is 16% in LS and 11% in West Town

the 35-50 cohort is about equal in each. So clearly there is a higher percentage of 20/30s in West Town. Our adult daughter will fit in perfectly. LOL.

https://www.cmap.illinois.gov/docume...oln+Square.pdf

Old 01-18-2023, 03:53 PM

That website is very cool. West Town has gotten sharply richer, more educated and whiter over the last 10-20 years. Lincoln Square has too, but not as sharply - I think it was already more "there" 20 years ago.

Old 01-18-2023, 08:09 PM

That is a bigger spread than I was expecting. Lincoln Square was never seedy in the way that West Town neighborhoods were. Definitely not in my lifetime.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:51 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Don't go to Wicker Park too often, but definitely agree with your description. It definitely does have a pretty "gritty" look and feel to it.

Based on my look of the area where you are looking, it doesn't look like it would have any major safety issues (beyond an average Chicago neighborhood). I don't think it would be any different than Lincoln Square. No major red flags for safety just based on the location (although someone who's lived in Wicker Park could probably tell you better). No red flags though.

Old 01-23-2023, 04:39 PM

219 posts, read 135,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Don't go to Wicker Park too often, but definitely agree with your description. It definitely does have a pretty "gritty" look and feel to it.

Based on my look of the area where you are looking, it doesn't look like it would have any major safety issues (beyond an average Chicago neighborhood). I don't think it would be any different than Lincoln Square. No major red flags for safety just based on the location (although someone who's lived in Wicker Park could probably tell you better). No red flags though.
Wicker Park hasn't been gritty for decades. It's basically Wrigleyville 2.0.

Old 01-23-2023, 05:07 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
Wicker Park hasn't been gritty for decades. It's basically Wrigleyville 2.0.
I’m using my personal experience/ definition of gritty. To me personally, Wicker Park (and even much of Lake View, using this as a reference) look and feel very gritty.

If it isn’t gritty to you, that is fine. It is to me

Old 01-23-2023, 08:30 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,133,024 times
I’m not gonna knock Wicker Park, I probably would’ve bought there if I could way back when, but I don’t go there as much because the CTA kinda stinks these days and parking is a flippin nightmare in WP. So I end up hanging elsewhere thats less of a hassle. I realize that’s kinda on me as I get older and more curmudgeonly but there are some great spots (Dove’s Luncheonette, Cumin, Piece, Pauly Gees) I’d frequent more often if it wasn’t such a major inconvenience to me.

Old 01-24-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
I’m not gonna knock Wicker Park, I probably would’ve bought there if I could way back when, but I don’t go there as much because the CTA kinda stinks these days and parking is a flippin nightmare in WP. So I end up hanging elsewhere thats less of a hassle. I realize that’s kinda on me as I get older and more curmudgeonly but there are some great spots (Dove’s Luncheonette, Cumin, Piece, Pauly Gees) I’d frequent more often if it wasn’t such a major inconvenience to me.
I find parking in Wicker Park to be a relative breeze compared to adjacent areas, especially compared to Lincoln Park or Lake View. Even during festivals like Wicker Fest, it's not too bad finding parking on a side street even without a permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: