Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 07:28 PM

47 posts, read 29,369 times

Advertisements

We're going to be visiting Chicago soon and we're desirest of tips to navigate traffic on the Spaghetti Bowl. Any tips, safety and navigation, are welcome. We'll be driving a rental car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 07:30 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Why would you want to drive over there?

Old 11-17-2018, 09:43 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do That Thing View Post
We're going to be visiting Chicago soon and we're desirest of tips to navigate traffic on the Spaghetti Bowl. Any tips, safety and navigation, are welcome. We'll be driving a rental car.
If you're not experienced driving a major city, I'd recommend not driving. I'm an Airbnb host downtown who has had over 600 bookings and only about 5% or less if them have cars while here. In the downtown area, driving rarely saves time, especially if you include trying to find parking. And parking can be quite expensive, upwards of $50/day.

Based on your posts here, you seem to not have any concept of the scale of Chicago. I'd recommend you do some research on your own to familiarize yourself with the basic Chicago rather than expecting it to simply be a slightly larger version of your home town. Unless you're from New York, Chicago will be far larger and more complex than where you're from and trying to wing it will mean a lost opportunity.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:14 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
It is a challenging course. It is being reconfigured into the Jane Byrne interchange, easier to navigate. You still drive under the old Post Office, about the only good thing about driving to the Loop.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:42 AM

Can we ride the spaghetti bowl straight into the Loop?

Old 11-18-2018, 08:00 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do That Thing View Post
Fair question, quite legitimate, although we may need to ask a few ourselves to help before we can answer it for you. First off, do you believe in a some form of deity and, if so, in the power of prayer?

Old 11-18-2018, 08:23 AM

Well I don't mean literally straight I mean figuratively straight. Does the Bowl enter the Loop?

Old 11-18-2018, 08:56 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
Not sure what the spaghetti bowl is. You will be driving on one of the expressways and they all end up in the loop basically. The Kennedy, the Eisenhower, the Dan Ryan.....depends on where you are coming from.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:16 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Not sure what the spaghetti bowl is. You will be driving on one of the expressways and they all end up in the loop basically. The Kennedy, the Eisenhower, the Dan Ryan.....depends on where you are coming from.
He means the Circle Interchange, which he'd know if he's done any homework at all. The questioner is unwilling to do anything at all, even answer reasonable clarifying questions, so I figure we should just ignore him at this point.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
He means the Circle Interchange, which he'd know if he's done any homework at all. The questioner is unwilling to do anything at all, even answer reasonable clarifying questions, so I figure we should just ignore him at this point.
It's always been called the Spaghetti Bowl by all the Chi-town old hands that I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago