Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:50 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,841,028 times

Advertisements

why is that when I see all the many plans for new Manhattan skyscrapers that add both height and bulk to the city's skyline that my reaction, certainly in contrast to the world of this forum, is this: thank goodness Chicago is not New York.

With cities in Asia run rings around American cities (including New York and Chicago) in skyscraper growth and height and mind boggling high rise densities, I am glad my nation is not in a race with them. The idea of endless skyscrapers with endless height seemed like a much more successful thing when the US dominated the market and NYC was in a class by itself.

Now, it seems everything is over-the-top and any thought of city scale is disappearing in Manhattan (and undoubtedly in parts of Brooklyn and Queens across it on the East River where large scale development is also taking place).

If there is a race to the top, I'm so happy this time that Chicago is not taking part. We have a beautifully scaled city….huge, dramatic, and iconic skyscrapers, but ones that enhance the landscape, not overpower it. And past the skyline, our urban fabric is highly urban, but built to a human scale.

This is a battle that I for one happily concede to New York…..but have to wonder if that city knows WTF it is doing. Talk about too much of a good thing…..New Yorkers are destined to live in the narrow canyons of endless skyscrapers and being able to see the sky only by tilting their head to a 90°. Maybe that's great for others: for me, it's a vision from hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 09:24 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
The only reason it's not happening here now like it was 7 years ago is the economy here in the metro area and the state is trashed and struggling because of the mess we've gotten ourselves into.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:16 AM

520 posts, read 601,583 times
I live in Manhattan and I also own property in Chicago. I have to agree. There's nothing like the Manhattan skyline...before all this recent building. I love the Chicago skyline and hope it doesn't go down the same road as what NY is currently doing (I suspect it will). I'm a fan of iconic and old, with new construction that complements the existing skyline. None of this race to the top mentality.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:55 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,733 times
In emerging financial centers in the Middle East and Asia, it has become ridiculous. The vacancy rates are ridiculously high. Those things are exclusively vanity projects intended to demonstrate how wonderful things are in city X to the rest ofthe world.

Manhattan and NYC is scaled just fine. Housing is ridiculously expensive in NYC, and supply must be met. It has gotten to the point in NYC where even the portions of the upper middle class is being driven from the city. When a walk up in Bed-Stuy runs a million, you've got an affordability problem.

As long as NYC keep the new highrises to Manhattan; the waterfronts of Queens, Brooklyn and NJ; and limited clusters around places like downtown Brooklyn, it will look just fine.

If there was sufficient demand, Chicago could do the same more along the lakefront, along both sides of the river, and more inland in areas like the Near West Side and things would look fine and "scaled" here too.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:56 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
I live in Manhattan and I also own property in Chicago. I have to agree. There's nothing like the Manhattan skyline...before all this recent building. I love the Chicago skyline and hope it doesn't go down the same road as what NY is currently doing (I suspect it will). I'm a fan of iconic and old, with new construction that complements the existing skyline. None of this race to the top mentality.
I'm working in Manhattan now every week. I think the skyline depends on where you are looking from since NYC is so big and it's not necessarily FLAT like Chicago is. I still prefer Chicago's skyline actually.

By the way, Chicago still has the 3rd most buildings above 100 m of any city in the world. I think NYC and Tokyo are #1 and #2 respectively.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:48 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,440,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The only reason it's not happening here now like it was 7 years ago is the economy here in the metro area and the state is trashed and struggling because of the mess we've gotten ourselves into.
Agreed. OP seems to think growth in Chi or NY is controlled by anything other than money. It's not. If Chi had the demand of NY you would see the same amount of skyscraper construction there as you do in NYC. Chi doesn't have the demand, because it doesn't have the job growth.

You want to see what happens in a city where high demand is blocked by anti growth policies? Check out the Boston forum, and weep over the people who can't afford to live in or even near that city. Simple one bedroom apartments for 2 grand - sheesh!

Old 08-13-2014, 02:57 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
NYC has probably the most projects of any city in the world right now, so I guess I don't see the massive point. Chicago has just as many projects going on now as Tokyo. Shanghai has a lot, but NYC even has more going on than Shanghai.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:24 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default North American leader?

Toronto!

Toronto Still Leads North America High-Rise Construction - Canada Real Time - WSJ

Old 08-13-2014, 06:54 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,733 times
And it's this way because: 1) they have no interest tax deduction on mortgages, which means people live on a smaller footprint to keep things more affordable and 2) smart growth and restrictive regional zoning policies, which curb sprawl.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Agreed. OP seems to think growth in Chi or NY is controlled by anything other than money. It's not. If Chi had the demand of NY you would see the same amount of skyscraper construction there as you do in NYC. Chi doesn't have the demand, because it doesn't have the job growth.

You want to see what happens in a city where high demand is blocked by anti growth policies? Check out the Boston forum, and weep over the people who can't afford to live in or even near that city. Simple one bedroom apartments for 2 grand - sheesh!
Yeah, this area is getting worse every year, either renting or buying. It has become a boutique city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago