Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 11:12 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times

Advertisements

A family member who moved out to Seattle about a decade ago was telling me earlier tonight that he was considered a firebrand liberal by his social circle in Chicago, but is considered pretty conservative in Seattle. That sounded strange to me, since AFAIK Cook County goes at least as strongly Democratic in elections as King County, WA and the majority of urban counties in the country.

Is Chicago... less culturally liberal than coastal cities, somehow? I'm trying to figure out what he meant by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 01:34 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
As far as your friend goes, it depends on who his social circle was here. There's a lot of variety her.

Also, in general, Chicago and Midwest Progressivism is different from West Coast or Easy Coast liberalism.

The West Coast liberalism is more focused on individual rights in their expression of liberalism, something I call "Frontier liberalism," whereas the Midwest and Chicago especially have a more Bohemian influence that focused more on equality between groups and minimising power differentials. The East Coast is closer to Chicago style. To be sure, Chicago style still wants individual rights, too, but it's not the first focus.

I think that's a big part of the reason than, for example, Illinois was the first state to decriminalize sodomy, and the first St Patrick's Day parade to allow gays and lesbians to March with them, back in the 1989s. It's just been in the past few years that that's been allowed in Boston and New York, which many people (mistakenly) before to be more liberal than Chicago. Chicago liberals want groups to do be able to enjoy equal participation. Seattle wants individuals to have e equal pay and to be left alone. It's kind of hard to fully explain in a forum post, but I grew up near Portland and still visit my brother in Seattle, so know both Chicago and the West Coast politics pretty well.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:43 AM

629 posts, read 543,611 times
wanna see people get mad say you're a Trump supporter in town... LOL! I hope you're wearing a bullet proof vest!

Old 12-24-2018, 11:53 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
I wouldn't call Chicago progressive. Chicago is only progressive compared to its super conservative Midwest brothers and sisters. Chicagoans are provincial, but it's a "live and let live" type existence. We are diverse yet tribal. I think Chicago is the best representation of America...and I'm not just saying that because it's home. New York is more a city of immigrants, which makes sense because it is a port city. Chicago has immigrants and home grown southerners who migrated North. I really can't think of any other city with the diversity (racial, social and economic) as Chicago.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:16 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I'd call Chicago regressive in terms of politics.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:10 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Try being openly gay in the vast majority of south and west side neighborhoods. Chicago transplants may be liberal leaning but much of the city is anything but progressive.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:23 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Try being openly gay in the vast majority of south and west side neighborhoods. Chicago transplants may be liberal leaning but much of the city is anything but progressive.
I have been openly gay from the west to the south to the north without issue.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Are you speaking from experience? I've read plenty of stories from black gay males who are NOT welcome in the "liberal" North side.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:59 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Chicago seems more "Democratic" as opposed to pure "Liberal" if that makes sense. Just my opinion based on subjective feel.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:16 PM

^^^

I think you're right. I'm not actually sure I even believe in this whole "liberal" thing. I know what conservatism is, but a lot of people who claim they are "liberal" are something else. To me, "liberal" and "progressive" means you believe in equal rights for all. And honestly, a lot of these so-called liberals are worse than conservatives. I don't really like labels, but I think we need to find a new one for this group of people. They are elitists more than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago