Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 08:21 PM

73 posts, read 326,041 times

Advertisements

im not a police officer but i want to be one at some point. My question is do chicago police look down on suburban cops as just ticket writers that never have seen the "ghetto" or who dont know "real" police work. Or vice versa do suburban cops look at the city cops and think those guys are full of themselves or were no different than them. My question was sparked when i was at portillos the other day and i was sitting near a large number of 8th district police officers. A smaller group of 2 summit (suburban) police officers walked in to eat and then all the cities cops looked at their food or looked away as trying to avoid the suburban cops. I saw this similar story at greek town when chicago cops didnt even acknowledge uic cops. But one time i saw an illinois state trooper sitting at a table with tinley park cops and they all waved at a cook county sheriff in line ordering a bite to eat. So who likes who in the police sector?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 08:55 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,571 times
For the most part everyone gets along. I used to work on a suburban PD right in the area you just talked about. We 99% of the time got along with CPD. There were a few I butted heads with and I'm sure at times they felt the same. With the example you gave above, there might have been an actual incident that happened between the Summit Coppers and the Chicago ones. So this might have been more of a personal incident instead of Summit vs. Chicago. Summit, Burbank, Bedford Park, Oak Lawn and all the other towns that border Chicago have a good relationship. At times the City has saved one of our asses and other times we've actually been there to lend a hand and help a Chicago copper. It really is one large family but it doesn't mean there isn't dysfunction. Every PD has its good guys and it's handful of jerks or idiots.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:04 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,315 times
I think cops are all one big natural fraternity. Most cops today are professional and don't act out on petty jealousy and resentments
against others in uniform.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:13 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
For the most part everyone gets along. I used to work on a suburban PD right in the area you just talked about. We 99% of the time got along with CPD. There were a few I butted heads with and I'm sure at times they felt the same. With the example you gave above, there might have been an actual incident that happened between the Summit Coppers and the Chicago ones. So this might have been more of a personal incident instead of Summit vs. Chicago. Summit, Burbank, Bedford Park, Oak Lawn and all the other towns that border Chicago have a good relationship. At times the City has saved one of our asses and other times we've actually been there to lend a hand and help a Chicago copper. It really is one large family but it doesn't mean there isn't dysfunction. Every PD has its good guys and it's handful of jerks or idiots.
I believe my kids went to school where you worked...and I think most cops regardless of city of employment support each other. Now take a BNSF or UIC cop and I don't think these are very well respected by city or suburban cops although I'd bet some city cops moonlight for BNSF or UIC so my assumption maybe wrong.

Last edited by myrc60; 12-26-2011 at 09:45 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 10:06 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainfan87 View Post
im not a police officer but i want to be one at some point. My question is do chicago police look down on suburban cops as just ticket writers that never have seen the "ghetto" or who dont know "real" police work. Or vice versa do suburban cops look at the city cops and think those guys are full of themselves or were no different than them. My question was sparked when i was at portillos the other day and i was sitting near a large number of 8th district police officers. A smaller group of 2 summit (suburban) police officers walked in to eat and then all the cities cops looked at their food or looked away as trying to avoid the suburban cops. I saw this similar story at greek town when chicago cops didnt even acknowledge uic cops. But one time i saw an illinois state trooper sitting at a table with tinley park cops and they all waved at a cook county sheriff in line ordering a bite to eat. So who likes who in the police sector?
I think you're reading too much into the body language of those police officers, from the city, you observed. But does this really matter to you? And, why? Most area policemen probably want to work in the CPD, but can't get into the academy because of class size limitations/hiring conditions or they're not qualified. So they head to the suburbs, and try to get into the city in the future. Or not.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:41 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,062,630 times
Do Chicago cops really look down on Harvey cops, Dolton cops, Calumet City cops, Riverdale cops, Sauk Village cops, Blue Island cops, Maywood cops or Chicago Heights cops? Maybe they do. But prabobly not for the reasons the OP is describing.. The Harvey Police department has a nasty reputation among all other depertments and is known for some crooked s**t.

The Cook County sheriff's office patrols Ford Heights because the village is too broke to afford a police department. Or so they say. Also because the original Ford Heights police department was disbanded after being... a gang of criminals. Being criminal isn't that unexpected because when there was a Ford Heights PD, they were paid like 9 bucks an hour or something ridiculous like that. Just a little over minimum wage. My female friend from Sauk Village (just outside of Ford Heights) told me that after the Ford Heights PD was disbanded, investigates uncovered DNA evidence in rape cases that the Ford Heights cops were actually hiding for whatever reason. I see the Cook County officers eating at Big Boys in Chicago Heights every now and again. Whenever I see Cook County sheriff officers driving around in Park Forest, it makes me nervous simply because it's a reminder that I'm a lot closer to Ford Heights than it seems..

Last edited by urza216; 12-27-2011 at 12:00 AM..

Old 12-26-2011, 11:51 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,571 times
Actually for the most part if you're on a suburban PD it's because you want to be there, and if you're on CPD that where you want to be. Not a lot of cross pollination so to speak. I spent the majority of my life in Chicago and had zero interest to be CPD. The calls, etc. would be fun, but the garbage equipment, horrible schedule and lower pay they have made me not at all interested. When I would meet up and talk to other CPD cops they would always say how they were jealous of our gear and training. But by the same token they liked being CPD and would not want to work in a burb. Recently CPD came out to where I work now. They were looking for a murder suspect that was probably hanging in our town. They were utterly shocked and pleased when we had about 14 of our guys all with rifles and other goodies plus a K9 roll to their location and assemble in under 5 minutes. They were very thankful and afterwards gave them directions to Portillos. Lol. Some Suburbs have more busy than some slower Districts in Chicago, but overall the large machine that is CPD has many advantages to itself too. I would say there is mutual respect on all sides, we all have the same goal. In all honesty I think the most dangerous job in law enforcement is the State Trooper who's closest backup is 50 miles away down south, or small town cops where there might be 1 or 2 guys on and they are in the sticks. I could be CPD all day long and gladly roll call to call in Englewood. But just me, myself and I responsible for 100 square miles by myself, you can keep it, and I tip my hat to the guys/gals that do that work.

I just saw Urza's post and I actually agree with it. There is no doubt 2 tiers to Policing. And the PD's he just gave no Officer that would consider himself a professional would work in Harvey, old Ford Heights or Robbins. I'm not saying there aren't good cops that work there, but those towns and various departments have corruption straight to the core. Other cops without a doubt look at them differently. If you don't you would be a fool.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:11 AM

73 posts, read 326,041 times
Great discussion, I do admire the Illinois State Police. Usually they are pretty fair as well. They let me go a few times on minor bs like no belt and switching without a signal. I dont know about district Chicago but 50 miles away from your partner is scary especially down there where there are no lights. And we all know, them truckers are packin. Englewood, grand crossing, marquette (now Ogden) and harrison can be very scary but it cant be as bad when your partners are a few blocks away in another 2 person car. I always thought of bnsf and union pacific police as a super cool job too.Uic get paid well and really dont deal with alot of violence except the other day when i janitor shot a nurse at uic hospital.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,062,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
My female friend from Sauk Village (just outside of Ford Heights) told me that after the Ford Heights PD was disbanded, investigates uncovered DNA evidence in rape cases that the Ford Heights cops were actually hiding for whatever reason.
"DNA evidence stored in a mold-covered container in an unplugged refrigerator at the defunct Ford Heights Police Department has led to the arrest of a man in the 2006 rape of a 13-year-old girl, the Cook County sheriff's office announced today."

READ MORE: DNA sample found in shut police station leads to rape charge - Chicago Breaking News (http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/03/man-charged-in-2006-rape-of-13-year-old-girl.html - broken link)

Old 12-31-2011, 03:47 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,116 times
Pretty interesting comment from the origianal poster.
I would tend to think it would be a greater status symbol to be a cop for cpd vs a suburban pdept.

On the other hand alot of former chicago cops retire form cpd and then go into the burbs as chiefs or high ranking officials with the suburban pd.

From an outsider looking at the picture the cook county cops seem to be well respected.

You would also have to reason a cpd officer probably has a lot of training provided to him or her because of the grants and budgets that a suburban copper doesnt get.

Overall I would tend to think the city cops and suburban cops espicially the cops close to the border of the city get along pretty good.

you never know who is going to be the one saving your skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago