Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 36,739 times

Advertisements

Couple of years back I overheard a cop here in Chicago tell a guy she was booking: "This is why they don't film Cops in Chicago". I never heard the reason. I sonn realized that this is true and i still don't know why....any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 10:20 PM

80 posts, read 396,835 times
i can tell you that NYPD doesn't do cop episodes bc they don't want to be involved with the show. It could be as simple as Chicago PD not wanting to have their cops filmed for a tv show.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:56 PM

84 posts, read 1,103,814 times
Default Well.........A couple of reasons......

One episode was filmed in Chicago, more than ten years back (Cops longest running series behind simpsons and gunsmoke)

The police union simply refused to allow any more filming, due to insurance and OSHA regulations, Chicago is Union, in every aspect of work labor, with very few exceptions Fox cameramen are not union, so thats a deal breaker right there.

Chicago Police Command, was denied final cut on any footage caught, so that was the major deal breaker.

If you want to see CPD on TV, subscribe to BBC on Dish Network, and you can find a couple of episodes of their version of Cops, filmed in Chicago, and you will see me on two of the three twenty minute clips they filmed about eight years ago.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 36,739 times
Default Good enough for me.

Thanks for that MP, this wan't absolutely important just one of those things that bugs and gnaws at me everytime I watched the show. Kinda sucks not being to say "Hey I know that guy!" or "I know where that is!"

Old 10-27-2010, 07:53 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
COPS is being filmed in Chicago right now or at least this past summer. Of course they were under the Cook County Sheriff umbrella instead of the city of chicago. That is exactly like how you have seen in the past where COPS was filmed in Houston but with Harris County Sheriffs instead of the actual city cops.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
COPS is being filmed in Chicago right now or at least this past summer. Of course they were under the Cook County Sheriff umbrella instead of the city of chicago...
So what are they going to show? Evictions? DUI's? Child support infractions?

Boring.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
What I heard was back in the early 1990s, the COPS crew filmed in District 7 (Englewood) for one weekend. As one of the posters from 3 years ago said, there were disputes between the city and Fox/Langley Productions. The city wanted final cut rights and Fox wouldn't give in so they were asked to leave. As I am a union supporter, I would like to see the Fox camera crews unionized.

In 2001 or 2002, COPS was scheduled to ride with the Cook County Sheriff's Police in the suburbs. Production disputes between the County and Fox/Langley Productions nixed filming right before it started.

This summer, as reported on the news, COPS was filming with the Cook County Sheriff's Police in the North District out of the Skokie Courthouse. I am not sure when those episodes will air. I don't think Court Services or Corrections was filmed by the COPS crew. Corrections had the Cook County Jail show and the Squeeze.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:30 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caustic_man View Post
Couple of years back I overheard a cop here in Chicago tell a guy she was booking: "This is why they don't film Cops in Chicago". I never heard the reason. I sonn realized that this is true and i still don't know why....any help?
There are enough other cities that are a lot easier to film in. And they generally come with fewer hands out.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:48 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
So what are they going to show? Evictions? DUI's? Child support infractions?

Boring.

Not sure where you got your info from that this is mostly what CCSPD does. They also happen to patrol a "quiet" little town of Ford Heights as an example. They do what regular municipal PD's will do plus more. Who you think checks for Probation Violations in Englewood, etc.?

Old 10-28-2010, 07:31 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,294 times
I'm sure the lawsuit from that woman in Naperville after being caught drunk and/or speeding on that TLC show doesn't help matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: