Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 07:46 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times

Advertisements

This may be a less than common question in the Chicago forum, however, I feel like people in the Chicago forum would be the most knowledgeable on the question I have.

I am flying out of O'hare on a flight at 5:10AM on Tuesday January 22nd. It's been awhile since I've flown out of O'hare, but never have I flown during a government shutdown where TSA is losing people left and right. Normally I would plan to get there around 3:30AM and check my bag and then go through TSA, but after hearing lines were over 4 hours long at Atlanta, what can I expect at O'Hare? Should I get there at 3AM? I'm not sure how bad the TSA situation at O'hare is compared with other airports.

I don't mean to make this political by any means, but this is assuming that the government shutdown continues through next Tuesday. I know that today Trump revealed that he will be doing a briefing/speech on the Shutdown and Border tomorrow at 3pm, so that could obviously change everything. However, assuming the shutdown continues through next Tuesday, how early should I arrive? Any info and thoughts on this matter are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 07:46 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,105 times
Download the My TSA app to get real time info regarding wait times. Look at it for the next couple days to get the average times. This app is good for use at all US airports with security.

https://www.tsa.gov/mobile

Overall the wait times at ORD have only increased slightly. What airline/terminal is your departure? Unless its changed T 1, 2 and 3 TSA lines dont open until 4am and Int. T5 is 24 hours.

Last edited by BOBNCHI; 01-19-2019 at 09:15 AM..

Old 01-19-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Download the My TSA app to get real time info regarding wait times. Look at it for the next couple days to get the average times. This app is good for use at all US airports.

https://www.tsa.gov/mobile

Overall the wait times at ORD have only increased slightly. What airline/terminal is your departure? Unless its changed T 1, 2 and 3 TSA lines dont open until 4am and Int. T5 is 24 hours.
Spirit through terminal 3. So getting there before 4am would be pointless?

Old 01-19-2019, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 6,079 times
I was at Ohare a few days ago. I am precheck and it took a few minutes to get through security. I was surprised how fast it was. Getting back from another airport was actually worse. So, based on my experience, wait times are not too bad right now at Ohare.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:30 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,105 times
The Spirit counter usually opens at 330am so baggage and check in can be done. Then over to security which by then should be open, you're good to go. It's not usually busy at that time I doubt you'll have a problem unless there is a weather issue like today.

If you're driving in that morning, dont forget the time change.

Last edited by BOBNCHI; 01-19-2019 at 10:38 AM..

Old 01-19-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
The Spirit counter usually opens at 330am so baggage and check in can be done. Then over to security which by then should be open, you're good to go. It's not busy usually busy at that time I doubt you'll have a problem unless there is a weather issue like today.

If you're driving in that morning, dont forget the time change.

Thank you! We'll actually be staying in Chicago the night before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago