Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 07:09 PM

724 posts, read 503,678 times

Advertisements

Reading about the activities of the Simon City Royals in Mississippi ( https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ssippi-chicago ) sparked my interest in the " Stone Greaser " gangs that used to be big in Chicago , which led me to this website ( Stone Greasers, Greasers Gangs and Clubs From Chicago to New York ) and the wealth of awesome TV show worthy information it contains ...

To get to my point , I'm thinking of creating a TV show about these " Stone Greaser " gangs of old that would be filmed on site in Chicago , which is why I thought it would be thoughtful to get the opinions of average present day Chicago residents on this matter before I'd go further .

So do y'all think it would be a good idea to make a TV show like this ? Would present day gangs active in Chicago take offense to it ? Also would it be out of the realm of possibility to get cooperation in the filming of this series on the part of local residents if I were to cast them as extras ?

Tell me what ya think !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 08:58 PM

4,648 posts, read 3,260,261 times
I think it would be interesting. I've been reviewing some clips on old school white Chicago gangs on youtube. The Gaylords is another gang to look into... Present gang members might have a certain respect for the original gangs and/or not even see them as a threat, so I think you wouldn't upset anyone... Count on Master Jay as an "extra" if possible! - Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 04-23-2019, 11:26 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Personally I wouldn't have any interest in such a show but I can't think of any reason it couldn't be filled here. There have been films featuring fictionalized modern gangs filmed here without problems. Modern gangs aren't really interested in trying to control any narrative about them in the popular press or media.

And there are more than enough intact period-appropriate neighborhoods that you could do exteriors on location still if you wanted to.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:24 AM

381 posts, read 349,677 times
I think it'd be great.
Those gangs are dead, so modern gangs wouldn't care.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the answers guys !

FWIW do you think a major issue in getting this show off the ground would be the issue of historical accuracy ?

More specifically the fact that many ( if not most ) of these Stone Greaser gangs used white racist/supremacist/whatever you want to call it symbology and rhetoric as part of their image and that many of their rivals were mainly composed of Black/Latino males ?

I'm asking because due to the times we live in people seem to be very sensitive to this issue and I wouldn't want to poison race relations even more via this show , however on the other hand I'm very pro historical accuracy and I'd be honestly loathe to censor anything in favor of not offending anyone .

Furthermore the complicated aspect of the conflict , i.e. that most Stone Greaser gangs actually had some Black/Latino members , would be shown as well along with the claim of many ex Stone Greaser gang members that their conflicts with mainly minority gangs weren't as much racial as cultural .

In short I plan on making a TV show that would buck the narrative of both mainstream racism and anti racism in present day American society .

Old 09-04-2020, 11:56 AM

255 posts, read 133,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Thanks for the answers guys !

FWIW do you think a major issue in getting this show off the ground would be the issue of historical accuracy ?

More specifically the fact that many ( if not most ) of these Stone Greaser gangs used white racist/supremacist/whatever you want to call it symbology and rhetoric as part of their image and that many of their rivals were mainly composed of Black/Latino males ?

I'm asking because due to the times we live in people seem to be very sensitive to this issue and I wouldn't want to poison race relations even more via this show , however on the other hand I'm very pro historical accuracy and I'd be honestly loathe to censor anything in favor of not offending anyone .

Furthermore the complicated aspect of the conflict , i.e. that most Stone Greaser gangs actually had some Black/Latino members , would be shown as well along with the claim of many ex Stone Greaser gang members that their conflicts with mainly minority gangs weren't as much racial as cultural .

In short I plan on making a TV show that would buck the narrative of both mainstream racism and anti racism in present day American society .
Oh Christ, can you wait til you know next year? Do you have proper connections in the industry? Otherwise why waste the time. It ain’t going nowhere but YouTube with 5 views and zero subscribers.

Old 09-04-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDavid View Post
Oh Christ, can you wait til you know next year? Do you have proper connections in the industry? Otherwise why waste the time. It ain’t going nowhere but YouTube with 5 views and zero subscribers.

It certainly looks like I'll have to wait , but I'm still curious with respect to opinions regardless .

I mean may I ask what you think of my idea ?

Old 09-04-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
It certainly looks like I'll have to wait , but I'm still curious with respect to opinions regardless .

I mean may I ask what you think of my idea ?
Just my opinion but it does not make me hard. I like the last paragraph. Are you trying to make money or just doing it as hobby?

Old 09-04-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDavid View Post
Just my opinion but it does not make me hard. I like the last paragraph. Are you trying to make money or just doing it as hobby?

By last paragraph do you mean the part where I typed that I'd be trying to buck both the mainstream racist and anti racist narrative in American society ?

I'm only planning on doing such a show for the fun of it , so yeah hobby fits the bill .

Thanks for your answer though !

Old 09-04-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
By last paragraph do you mean the part where I typed that I'd be trying to buck both the mainstream racist and anti racist narrative in American society ?

I'm only planning on doing such a show for the fun of it , so yeah hobby fits the bill .

Thanks for your answer though !
Ooops OMG, I read it wrong. Buck the mainstream racist, yes. Buck the anti racist narrative, no. I’m sure it will be picked up by racist bozos running rampant on the internet. Slide it into Eric Trump’s DM.

I think there’s too much Rampant racism stuff going around which I find disgusting so that content does not interest me but I can see a lot of racists being interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: