Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 09:58 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
He's 12 and is definitely aware of his surroundings.
Should be fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 10:43 AM

342 posts, read 798,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Super safe. Crime is limited to specific parts of the city that are far away from the downtown area.

With that being said, Willis Tower is great, but I recommend John Hancock instead if you can. More beautiful view of the city from that building. Also, Willis Tower is in the very business centric part of downtown, so it's a bit sterile and "boring" for a tourist. If you do the John Hancock observatory, you are in an amazing spot for restaurants, landmarks and you will probably enjoy it more. Walk down Michigan avenue up to the river, explore the riverwalk, etc. It's a much better experience than starting off at Willis Tower. The area surrounding the Willis Tower is rather bland.

It it were me I would recommend:
-John Hancock Observatory (they have parking in the building or at least attached to the building).
-Then walk down Michigan Avenue to the river
-Do the river walk
-Then walk to Millennium Park

That should fill in 4 hours so, I would definitely not add more and enjoy those 4 things I listed without being rushed.
Thanks for the heads up. My son actually did a project on the Willis Tower for school where he had to build a replica complete with sky deck so he is very interested in seeing the actual thing.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
padad1, I understand your inquiry on safety. My only concern is when people feel safety is an issue wherever they are in Chicago simply because it is CHICAGO. I attribute that to the daily reports on shootings, which although obviously are unfortunate, they typically occur in certain neighborhoods. Can incidents occur ANYwhere you go? That is true too. I know people in Milwaukee that ask me why I am not afraid to go to Chicago, based on the news reports.... Well, there are daily reports of car accidents, but does that stop people from wanting to drive???.. I think you will love the energy of the downtown area... When I visit downtown, I jump on the Brown Line L train in Lincoln Square and get off near Madison Street, which is a couple blocks west of Millennium Park (with Cloud Gate, aka "the Bean"). If seeing the city via an L train ride is anything of interest to you, I would recommend it... For dining, I would recommend Pizano's on Madison Street. And ask if Uncle Chach is serving. THAT GUY IS A RIOT! Anyone out there know who I'm talking about???? Have a great time with your son! Master Jay in Milwaukee

I'm thinking we may have to change our itinerary based upon all these awesome ideas. We will be driving into the city from Macedonia, OH and staying in Wood Dale.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:27 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
I'm thinking we may have to change our itinerary based upon all these awesome ideas. We will be driving into the city from Macedonia, OH and staying in Wood Dale.
Why are you staying out in Wood Dale? With friends or family? You can always take the train in as well if you're out that way, park at a blue line and don't mess with parking downtown.

As others said, there are around a million people on any given weekday and still a lot on weekends who are all over the downtown area. You're in virtually no danger from violent crime.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:34 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,520,072 times
Just a thought not knowing your full itinerary. If staying in Wooddale, you might want to look at taking the Metra from there into the city. It arrives at Union Station, just a 5 minute walk to Willis. It eliminates any possible traffic and parking hassles.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:35 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Oh, we've only scratched the surface. We could keep you busy all week if you have the time.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:15 PM

1,013 posts, read 912,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Super safe. Crime is limited to specific parts of the city that are far away from the downtown area.

With that being said, Willis Tower is great, but I recommend John Hancock instead if you can. More beautiful view of the city from that building. Also, Willis Tower is in the very business centric part of downtown, so it's a bit sterile and "boring" for a tourist. If you do the John Hancock observatory, you are in an amazing spot for restaurants, landmarks and you will probably enjoy it more. Walk down Michigan avenue up to the river, explore the riverwalk, etc. It's a much better experience than starting off at Willis Tower. The area surrounding the Willis Tower is rather bland.

It it were me I would recommend:
-John Hancock Observatory (they have parking in the building or at least attached to the building).
-Then walk down Michigan Avenue to the river
-Do the river walk
-Then walk to Millennium Park

That should fill in 4 hours so, I would definitely not add more and enjoy those 4 things I listed without being rushed.
Totally agree with this guy ☝️

Old 06-04-2019, 07:00 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. My son actually did a project on the Willis Tower for school where he had to build a replica complete with sky deck so he is very interested in seeing the actual thing.
Tell your son that some locals call the tower "Big Willie". He won't get the joke but don't explain!

Old 06-05-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Why are you staying out in Wood Dale? With friends or family? You can always take the train in as well if you're out that way, park at a blue line and don't mess with parking downtown.

As others said, there are around a million people on any given weekday and still a lot on weekends who are all over the downtown area. You're in virtually no danger from violent crime.
We're actually coming in from OH on Saturday so the plan was to head right into the city from the South, spend a few hours then head out to Wood Dale, spend the night and be on our way to MO.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Just a thought not knowing your full itinerary. If staying in Wooddale, you might want to look at taking the Metra from there into the city. It arrives at Union Station, just a 5 minute walk to Willis. It eliminates any possible traffic and parking hassles.
Staying at the Double Tree in Wood Dale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago