Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 01:03 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

There are many factors, of course, that play in to Chicago's baseball distinction:

Chicago is the only city that has had an MLB team in both the NL and AL in the past or two in MLB in the present.

For the entire history of the National League, an organization no longer in existence, the Cubs have been a member.

For the entire history of the American League, an organization no longer in existence, the White Sox have been a member.

And from MLB's establishment, the same two clubs have always been a member.

No other city has that distinction. In the 1950s, the original teams in majors experienced shifting franchises: St. Louis, Boston and Philadelphia went from two teams to one, New York three to one. In the 1960s both New York and Los Angeles joined Chicago as two team towns.

Chance is a big factor that kept Chicago the only always-two-team town. And some luck.

But if we wanted to identify other factors of why Chicago was able to accomplish what others (St. Louis, Philadelphia, Boston, New York) could not, what would those factors be??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 01:23 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
I think Ed ... I'd rather see this thread in the - General US forum. Since other cites are asked why they lost 2-teams. Many more comments without being cities vs cities. Chicagoans could still post ehy Chicago always had the 2-badeball teams. But it lost one football one loooong ago I believe.

I belve I read the city intervened for the White Sox. The North-side/South-side divide being strong too. I believe Philly has a North-side/South-side divide too. But perhaps a bit less strong. Also the city fell but more then Chicago. Probably the city did not intervene there. Honestly, do not know. But in the -General US forum. Other city locals comments would be more.

I think Chicago-style politics played a roll too. But the former mayor ..... also knew Wrigley's owners had no real plans to move. IMO too. Wrigley Field has "Stardom" status. As a tourist destination. Also the heavy strong arm Chicago machine .... .... I jest. Well maybe not really.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:40 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
What an unbelievably prestigious distinction for the city.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:06 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

For the entire history of the National League, an organization no longer in existence, the Cubs have been a member.

For the entire history of the American League, an organization no longer in existence, the White Sox have been a member.

And from MLB's establishment, the same two clubs have always been a member.

[/b]
Can you clarify this? I do not follow....the National League and American League are both still in existence.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Can you clarify this? I do not follow....the National League and American League are both still in existence.
I'll try to distill it down to once sentence for you: Chicago is the only city to continually host both an NL and AL franchise that have both been in existence since each league's respective foundings.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
neither are. They were dissolved around 2000. It's just like in NFL where mergers turned the AFL into the AFC and the NFL into the NFC. All teams play in the same league: MLB. There is no real interleague play in MLB...but there is intraleague play.

As I said, neither exists as a legal entity. That's why you can swap the AL Brewers with the NL Astros.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
What an unbelievably prestigious distinction for the city.
we're very proud of it, Bitey. so nice of you to come here and sing the obvious: praises of our great town. We will be sure to send you a half Cub/half Sox cap.

In contrast, New York managed to lose two major league baseball teams in the same year. Los Angeles lost two NFL teams in the same year.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:47 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
neither are. They were dissolved around 2000. It's just like in NFL where mergers turned the AFL into the AFC and the NFL into the NFC. All teams play in the same league: MLB. There is no real interleague play in MLB...but there is intraleague play.

As I said, neither exists as a legal entity. That's why you can swap the AL Brewers with the NL Astros.
That's really a semantic argument. I understand what you are saying and the MLB is integrated. But in practice there is still an AL and NL, with changes like expanding from 2 to 3 divisions. And yes, a couple of teams switched. And while there is some interleague play the play is skewed heavily to your own division. There is still an AL vs NL all star game and world series, separate ROY, MVP, etc. As long as that is still happening, I consider them separate leagues for the most part.

Also, the playoffs are determined by your standings in your own "league". The Cubs wouldn't even be making the playoffs if they were in the AL. There is still a pennant if you win the NL or AL.

Serious question. Before 2000 or whatever, did the AL and NL have separate players unions? Separate commissioners? I don't think they did. The MLB has always governed the whole thing.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:07 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:
That's really a semantic argument. I understand what you are saying and the MLB is integrated. But in practice there is still an AL and NL, with changes like expanding from 2 to 3 divisions. And yes, a couple of teams switched. And while there is some interleague play the play is skewed heavily to your own division. There is still an AL vs NL all star game and world series, separate ROY, MVP, etc. As long as that is still happening, I consider them separate leagues for the most part.

Also, the playoffs are determined by your standings in your own "league". The Cubs wouldn't even be making the playoffs if they were in the AL. There is still a pennant if you win the NL or AL.

Serious question. Before 2000 or whatever, did the AL and NL have separate players unions? Separate commissioners? I don't think they did. The MLB has always governed the whole thing.
Slight tangent, but it's crazy right now that the Dodgers are currently the only NL team that would qualify for the playoffs in the AL.

To your other points - I believe MLBPA was comprehensive for both leagues. I think until both leagues have a DH, the AL and NL are more distinct compared to other sports different conferences (NHL West vs. East, NBA West vs. East, NFL AFC vs. NFC).

Old 08-15-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Slight tangent, but it's crazy right now that the Dodgers are currently the only NL team that would qualify for the playoffs in the AL.
And yet, the NL has a winning record against the AL in interleague play so far this year. So the fact that only one NL team would make the AL playoffs based on record probably just means there is more parity in the NL than the AL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: