Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 07:56 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
The president is definitely encouraging legal immigration

I don't think your second comment is correct, most people don't move very far away, regardless of where they move from
No actually Trump is not encouraging legal immigration. He is lying again. At least in regard to immigrants of color.

The administration proved its antagonism toward those who “stand in line” and “come in the right way” by issuing a new rule forcing many legal immigrants to make an impossible choice: accept needed government benefits to which they are fully entitled, or preserve their chances of obtaining permanent residence. That is supposed to encourage self-reliance, but what it does is prevent legal immigrants from accepting the help they need in order to become self-reliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 08:55 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,362,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Las Vegas could easily go toe to toe with Chicago as the best bargain in America. At least if the city you originally had your eye on was Los Angeles. Chicago is the best bargain for people who want the New York experience. (Not trying to degrade Chicago by comparing it to New York) Philadelphia could actually be considered more like New York in some ways, apart from having a smaller population, less skyscrapers, and less subway lines than Chicago. Philly's bigger plus side is it's proximity to New York, (and Washington DC) which in my opinion, is a sad reason why a legacy city of 1.6 million people is attractive to potential movers. Philly actually probably would've grown larger if it had been further from those cities. Instead, it's the least important of the three, and it's stuck right in the middle.
Have you ever been to Philadelphia and Chicago? While both are legacy cities, Philadelphia just doesn't stack up to Chicago in terms of well.....everything but Colonial history. I was there this summer and saw filth, homelessness, a drugged out guy going nuts in a WaWa store, a guy covered with blood in Center City, and a city that just felt rough around the edges. Stuff I have never seen in Chicago. No comparison, even though Philly is getting better.

Las Vegas is a bargain if that is what you want. So is Peoria, Illinois, Lima, Ohio, Fresno and any other town if that is what you are looking for. Apples to oranges.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:34 AM

9 posts, read 8,114 times
And rightfully so. It's definitely the best big city in my book. I would guess Vegas might be similarly affordable perhaps even moreso, but it's full of gaudy faux architecture and it's in the middle of the desert. No thanks. I'm sure living there is much different than visiting, but I can't handle more than about two days in Las Vegas.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:37 PM

885 posts, read 624,911 times
Las Vegas?? It's beyond tacky. Las Vegas is the definitive root word. It's 'tack.'

Old 10-25-2019, 03:44 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
Las Vegas?? It's beyond tacky. Las Vegas is the definitive root word. It's 'tack.'
I once read the city described as "the world capital of tacky".

(Disclaimer: I've never been there.)

Old 10-26-2019, 09:50 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
The people that vote with their feet don't seem to agree.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:20 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
If you pay any attention to the markets and the movements of those making moves around the country OUT and IN to various States and Cities there is NO denying that there is without question an exodus OUT of Illinois in general as well as the greater Chicago area. Visitors........sure plenty of them. People buying homes and living there........nope they are heading OUT of town

Old 10-27-2019, 04:24 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,397 times
Chicago is a crime-infested cesspool. I've never wanted to go there at all. The Midwest sounds boring.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Chicago is a crime-infested cesspool. I've never wanted to go there at all. The Midwest sounds boring.
That's your loss, not that of the people who love Chicago.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:39 PM

4,648 posts, read 3,254,543 times
Screenwriter70, give it a chsnce. Especially in Spring through Fall. Beautiful areas to walk around. I wouldnt come down every weekend, otherwise Master Jay in Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago