Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,749 times

Advertisements

Grew up in SW burbs, fiancé grew up in Beverly. Currently live in NYC and love the city, but are moving back to Chicago to be closer to family/friends and to actually be able to afford a house rather than a tiny apartment. We were originally looking at Bridgeport, but are a little bit priced out. We think our best bang for our buck would be in McKinley Park, as there are some great new homes being built that we have our eye on. We like the fact that it is close to the loop, and we can get back to Beverly in about 20 minutes down Western & hop on Orange line to loop for work. We have lived out of the state for the past few years, are late 20's, and are wondering if the neighborhood is trending in the right direction? Is the ROI worth it... wondering if value will go up as it is just south of booming Pilsen and West of Bridgeport. How are K-8 schools? Would be willing to go public if they are decent, and take the 4 year private plunge for high school, or Whitney Young... granted we are a few years from even thinking about kids. Any new restaurants or bars popping up, or same old Lindys Chili lol? We are both white, and I know this should not matter, but we all know how segregated Chicago is. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 01:57 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times
20% Asian and growing. It's getting there.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:50 PM

187 posts, read 185,253 times
Would you consider Bronzeville?

Old 12-06-2019, 07:49 AM

1,067 posts, read 915,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideMillennial View Post
Would you consider Bronzeville?
OP - love the screen name...go irish! I don't know much about Mckinley Park but I like that the Orange line and 55 access are right there. If the Asian population is growing there and spilling over from Chinatown and Bridgeport then you know the neighborhood is on the up and up.

It does seem for Beverly access off 90 you could look at Bronzeville and the green line. Bronzeville has been booming in pockets and is very nice.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:07 PM

884 posts, read 622,983 times
I'm in Brighton Park (the neighborhood which borders McKinley Park to its west) a few times a month and have noticed a large number of foreign-born Chinese who are riding on the Archer Ave. bus (route 62) to that neighborhood. Many seem to exit in the 6 block stretch between Rockwell Ave. and Kedzie Ave. So, I'm presuming that this Chinese population has been moving southwest along Archer into both McKinley Park and BP from Chinatown.

Also, there are still segments of the once sizeable Polish and Lithuanian populations who resided in Brighton Park. The Lithuanians are concentrated in the south central area of BP, near California Ave., especially south of 43rd St. I have a
Lithuanian American friend who lives on 46th St., and he mentioned that the largest ethnic background of his neighbors is Mexican.

There is some ethnic diversity in Brighton Park, but the vast majority of the public school students appear to be Hispanic.

On the whole, the housing stock in Brighton Park is modest and unremarkable. This is also true of McKinley Park.

Last edited by Nearwest; 12-06-2019 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-06-2019, 04:52 PM

504 posts, read 495,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
I'm in Brighton Park (the neighborhood which borders McKinley Park to its west) a few times a month and have noticed a large number of foreign-born Chinese who are riding on the Archer Ave. bus (route 62) to that neighborhood. Many seem to exit in the 6 block stretch between Rockwell Ave. and Kedzie Ave. So, I'm presuming that this Chinese population has been moving southwest along Archer into both McKinley Park and BP from Chinatown.

Also, there are still segments of the once sizeable Polish and Lithuanian populations who resided in Brighton Park. The Lithuanians are concentrated in the south central area of BP, near California Ave., especially south of 43rd St. I have a
Lithuanian American friend who lives on 46th St., and he mentioned that the largest ethnic background of his neighbors is Mexican.

There is some ethnic diversity in Brighton Park, but the vast majority of the public school students appear to be Hispanic.

On the whole, the housing stock in Brighton Park is modest and unremarkable. This is also true of McKinley Park.
Agree with this assessment of Brighton Park, McKinley, and Bridgeport housing stock - it's not the extravagant older stock of some neighborhoods, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

McKinley Park is a great investment right now and has good transit access. I tried buying a couple buildings there in 2018. The park is awesome too. It is only going up, but it'll be 10 years until its as nice as Bridgeport in terms of the bar/restaurant scene.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:12 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
It's pretty heated right now because there's a lot of speculation with respect to multi units in the city in general and Bridgeport in particular, which McKinley Park borders. That creates a double whammy where decent MLS properties will draw multiple bids probably over the ask.

So it might be hard to find a good value. I recommend looking at some of the near suburbs such as Berwyn if you're looking for more value.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:40 AM

196 posts, read 302,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post

We sold my mom's house (which was in that stretch mentioend above) in BP about 18 months ago to an Asian couple. As a member of the Lithuanian population I would say that the older/original Lithuanian contingent in BP has essentially disappeared (suburban migration in the 80'/90s or death of the oldest contingent, like my mom, in the more recent decades), and is being replaced, but at a much smaller rate, by more recent immigrants from Lithuania. Same goes for Poles. The neighborhood is majority Hispanic. The Lithuanian concentration was centered around Immaculate Conception parish (44th & California), which was one of the largest Lithuanian parishes in Chicago, and operated an elementary school which offered Lithuanian classes and Lithuanian cultural activities. The school was sold off to CPS years ago and is operated as a charter school. It is now essentially a Hispanic parish.

At present I think the crime/homicide rate in BP (gang-related) is too high for me to recommend buying a home there. McKP and Bridgeport are better options from a crime standpoint. How soon BP will turn around in the manner that McKP and Bridgeport have is not clear to me. I think it would take 5+ years.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:12 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times
Brighton Park is definitely not worth investing, and I wouldn't anticipate any kind of noticeable turnaround in five or ten years. The surrounding Archer Heights and McKinley Park are stable, working-class neighborhoods, so you're better off buying a place there. Brighton Park is just not worth the headaches.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:47 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Why is everyone talking about Brighton Park when the OP specifically asked about McKinley?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago