Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Good call nostradamus.

Seriously though, when have the Sox not sold out a playoff game?
I never said what side I was on or what team I prefer. Although some on this site know for sure and others can guess pretty accurately.

I am not getting involved in this. My team/fans/park is better than yours crap is childish IMO.

People need to grow TFU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 08:37 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
um, Cubs fans disrupt my commute and Sox fans don't.

the end.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:03 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
2005 ALDS.
Not sure where you heard that. I figured you'd be going back to 2000 when the attendance over the season wasn't very good, but they still had 46,000 for both playoff games.

2005 AL Division Series - CHW vs. BOS - Baseball-Reference.com

There are the attendance figures. The cell's capacity by 2005 was 40,600. But those tickets sold out immediately and 500 level seats were going for hundreds of dollars on stubhub and craigslist. I know, because I couldn't get any seats for the ALDS, despite having everyone in my department on the ticketmaster website when they went on sale.

In future Sox v Cubs arguments, stick to the reliable 'at least we only attack bullpens, and not 1st base coaches' argument.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:40 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Default As an outsider..

...I think I can comment on these two parks, having visited both (more so at Wrigley).

Cellular Field--a cavernous stadium (the seating structure feels like a coliseum); families, single guys; most are just watching the game and n ot overly boisterous; non-existant restaurant/nightlife scene around the stadium.

Wrigley--much more of a festive atmosphere; surrounding area full of bars/pubs; most watch the game, but there's a great deal of side conversation; families, single people, and tourists like me; people linger for a while in the neighborhood, which I feel is very pleasant.

If you're complaining about Cub fans, I could always make comparisons with Red Sox fans, and I'd almost always prefer the Cub( or White Sox ) fans. Every Red Sox game is like "life and death", while most in Chicago do not curse their existance if the home team drops the game.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:19 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Good call nostradamus.

Seriously though, when have the Sox not sold out a playoff game?
Who DOESNT sell out a playoff game (besides the lame Diamondbacks)?

Old 04-22-2008, 11:22 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Who DOESNT sell out a playoff game (besides the lame Diamondbacks)?
Atlanta...

Old 04-22-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Atlanta...
I guess the Braves going to the postseason is getting old in ATL.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:49 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I guess the Braves going to the postseason is getting old in ATL.
Hey, they haven't been in the postseason since '05! And let's hope it stays that way....as a Mets fan, I'll never forgive John Rocker .

Regarding the Cubs and Sox, the stereotype is that the Cubs are for well-heeled North Side yuppies and the Sox are the blue-collar, working class team. Is that true? I really don't know. It's probably exaggerated, at the very least.

I've only been to Wrigley, and the "festival atmosphere" comment certainly rings true, though I like that. I plan to get to the Cell at some point this summer.

One thing I found interesting is that a couple of friends of mine - one from the Chicago burbs, one from Decatur, the former a Sox fan and the latter a Cubs fan - told me that people in Illinois outside Chicagoland are either Cubs fans or Cardinals fans. I figured the rivalry would extend through the state, but apparently the Sox' fanbase is all in the Chicago area, wheras the Cubs have a following throughout Illinois, and beyond. Which, come to think of it, is not altogether different from my home state - there's not too many Mets fans in Upstate New York.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Sox fandom is pretty confined to the south side and south suburbs, though for some reason many of the Indiana suburbs seem to be Cub territory. I never figured out why. The reason the Cubs fandom extends across much of "upper downstate" (is that a paradox?) is because the Cubs and Cardinals are in the same division so it sets up a natural northern Illinois/southern Illinois rivalry. If the Sox and Cards were in the same division, then you'd see the Sox fandom extend into the upper half of downstate instead.

Cubs fandom also extends out west to central Iowa because their AAA team (Iowa Cubs) plays in Des Moines. Then there's also the fact that WGN carried Cubs games across the country via cable as far back as the late 70s, establishing a wider fan base than they otherwise would have had.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
Regarding the Cubs and Sox, the stereotype is that the Cubs are for well-heeled North Side yuppies and the Sox are the blue-collar, working class team. Is that true? I really don't know. It's probably exaggerated, at the very least
Im tired of that frickin stereotype. My parents are Cubs fans, and would be the first in line to tell you Cubs fans dont always make good money. Same for my uncle. lol Anyways, I need some help on this one.... a few years back either the Trib or Sun-Times found that Sox fans actually make more money than Cubs fans. People have called BS on that and asked for proof, of which I couldnt find any. I tried dozens of internet searches, but nothing ever came of it. I DO remember reading that perfectly clear though in the newspaper. I shoulda kept it. Maybe it would finally lay that ages-old stereotype to rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: