Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 09:06 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Pretty much the topic. Capping would usually be for more greenspace / public space. Right now the tracks are a level below the surface of the park in an open ditch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 10:11 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times
Would it be nice, of course.

Can it be properly funded, not on your life. Millennium Park cost $400 mill alone, and that was in 2000-2004 dollars.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:43 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,177,604 times
I love trains and would like to see them more, not less

Old 04-12-2020, 12:31 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times
It would be about time! Those trains are electric so it would not be all that expensive.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:09 PM

4,524 posts, read 5,093,240 times
I haven't been over to Grant Park in many years, but I didn't know this to be an issue. There's plenty of green space in the park with wide areas of Frisbee-throwing grass, lounging areas and the amazing Buckingham Fountain. There is even ample recreational space for beach volleyball and a baseball field among others. Metra Electric's tracks are off to the side in a deep, relatively narrow trench well below eye level, largely screened off by trees, foliage or the low decorative concrete balustrade -- and, of course, given the fact that the trains are electric they make relatively little noise as opposed to rumbling diesel engines. I think planners did a great job (as they have done with all things Chicago for a century and a half) making the park large, accessible and pleasant for strollers. If anything, the tracks provide a bit of a buffer to busy, noisy, exhaust-bearing South Michigan Ave.

If anything, I would eliminate big wide S. Columbus Drive which cuts right through the heart of the Grant Park splitting it in half. Eliminate this, and perhaps some of the cross streets, and you'll have tons of contiguous green space. Although Columbus provides some scenic vistas, it is not essential and can be removed with little problem. Most visitors to the park don't drive and park in the immediate area, anyway -- they can't. Either they park in garages near or under the park or, I'm sure most, hoof it there or take public trans -- CTA, Metra, etc.

Last edited by TheProf; 04-12-2020 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-12-2020, 02:22 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
But how will teenagers hop the fence to get into Lollapalooza?

Old 04-12-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
I love trains and would like to see them more, not less
I’m not talking about eliminating trains. I love trains, too, and want to see more of them especially an electrified through-running Metra that operates like a S-Bahn or RER type system. I’m talking about putting a cap over the tracks that currently run a level below in an open ditch through a park—the trains would still run, but it would have a “cover” over the ditch that can be used as more park space.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:34 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,177,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I’m not talking about eliminating trains. I love trains, too, and want to see more of them especially an electrified through-running Metra that operates like a S-Bahn or RER type system. I’m talking about putting a cap over the tracks that currently run a level below in an open ditch through a park—the trains would still run, but it would have a “cover” over the ditch that can be used as more park space.
I know and that is why I said what I said. Small area or not I prefer having the train out in the open

Old 04-12-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Would it be nice, of course.

Can it be properly funded, not on your life. Millennium Park cost $400 mill alone, and that was in 2000-2004 dollars.
This is a cap over not that wide of a gap which is a far cry from Millennium Park having to build over a wide set of terminal berths—it’s a very different and more limited engineering problem.

I would think that there would be an attempt to get philanthropic funding for this which is made easier given that it’s a project that can be broken up into several parcels. I’m curious as to how closely the open ditch for tracks was part of the original plan.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
I know and that is why I said what I said. Small area or not I prefer having the train out in the open
Have you rode this stretch before? It’s open on top, but you’re actually below grade in a ditch and the stretch in Grant Park is short in terms of ride time. That being said, I do wonder if a durable transparent cap of sorts might be the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: