Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the National Guard be called in?
Yes, it's a no brainer 62 68.89%
No, explain why please 28 31.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 04:04 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
The violence in the city stems from a systemic economic and social issue that will take years to rebuild. Chicago is already one of the more overpoliced cities in the country. More policing has proven not to help. Oftentimes the safest communities do not have the most policing, but they usually do have the most resources. Englewood is crawling with law enforcement activity. Meanwhile, a town like Northbrook is extremely safe, yet there isn't a bevy of squad cars and police officers running the beat.

There can be a place for law enforcement. However, it was decades of economic strife, inequality, and oppression that has lead us to where we are today. We solve our violence problem by addressing income inequality, quality of education, affordable housing, amongst other things that will better our society.
Chicago being "overpoliced" is not something I have ever heard from any Chicagoan that I know—whether they live in Wrigleyville, Chatham, or Rogers Park. Every mature adult that I know says that they wished they had more patrolling in their neighborhood.

Are you from the North Shore? I don't know about Northbrook, but Evanston and Lake Forest are crawling with police round-the-clock, many of whom are plainclothes.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:52 PM

5,071 posts, read 2,179,417 times
The fact that many say no proves that people in this city love to cry about crime, but do not want to do anything to stop it. Much like the politicians they vote for

Old 06-30-2020, 05:36 PM

13 posts, read 7,320 times
Quote:
There can be a place for law enforcement. However, it was decades of economic strife, inequality, and oppression that has lead us to where we are today. We solve our violence problem by addressing income inequality, quality of education, affordable housing, amongst other things that will better our society.
Yeah, but do you want to fix it quick or in generations? The National Guard would stabilize these neighborhoods and enable investment. Personally I cannot stand watching kids get murdered.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:42 PM

606 posts, read 354,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Frankly, lack of policing and police impotence plays a more important factor than many are willing to admit. Many people in the United States, especially on the left, seem to ignore the fact that there are many countries on Earth with much more poverty and social stratification than us that do not have an urban violence problem on our magnitude. Fear of and respect for the law clearly play a big part in the incidence of violent crime.

Note: I have not voted in this poll because I think that the question is above my paygrade.
I don’t know how transparent other countries are with crime statistics or how they measure it.

Adding more CPD also is not going to solve the problem if they carry on with their old ways and refuse to reform themselves and how they police.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:42 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Mayor Slewfoot's ego is too big. She will cause a lot of harm.

She tells Trump "I don't need any of your advice on how to lead my city".

What a fool.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:51 PM

5,071 posts, read 2,179,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Mayor Slewfoot's ego is too big. She will cause a lot of harm.

She tells Trump "I don't need any of your advice on how to lead my city".

What a fool.
Could not agree more!

Old 06-30-2020, 11:45 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 9 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,154 times
Added another "Yes". Fixing things economically is no doubt the long term fix, and I do respect the comments about slippery slope. But ultimately I side with StopAtWilloughby's position.

Maybe there are non-military options that would have results sometime before Covid-98. Not sure I'd hold my breath though.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:09 AM

132 posts, read 56,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Why is that a bad thing if lives are saved? I have heard that nonsense over the years but no one ever gives a reason why that is bad. So why is it bad if 'it's too militarized"?
Militaries aren't trained for law enforcement, and the Constitution prohibits it.

If you truly want to "save lives", get rid of the anti-gun politicians and let people defend themselves.
The Govt can't do it for you.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:17 AM

132 posts, read 56,616 times
Quote:
There can be a place for law enforcement. However, it was decades of economic strife, inequality, and oppression that has lead us to where we are today.
What party was in charge for all those decades?

Quote:
We solve our violence problem by addressing income inequality, quality of education, affordable housing, amongst other things that will better our society.
That same empty rhetoric has been repeated since the 60's.

If you want to solve "income equality", find a job.

People have more opportunities now than at any time in history, and half of them just want to sit around and whine about how bad they have it.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:24 AM

410 posts, read 634,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StopAtWilloughby View Post
Yeah, but do you want to fix it quick or in generations? The National Guard would stabilize these neighborhoods and enable investment. Personally I cannot stand watching kids get murdered.
The long term solution is ultimately the best goal. The national guard or some other law enforcement based fix will either be a band aid or a descent into martial law. I understand why there is a need for policing. It SHOULD be in the conversation. In fact, Chicago is expected to add an additional 1,200 officers to the streets. However, that is not a permanent fix, and we need to focus on fixing inequity, poverty, and education to ensure stability.

To clarify, it is unacceptable that children, or anybody, is getting killed. But to truly tackle this problem we should not just focus on policing, but also the problems that create this environment in the first place.

So to answer your question, yes, I am a lifelong Chicagoan, and I love this place, and I am personally committed to doing my part to further improve the city for the entirety of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago