Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 07:51 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
ChicagoMeO, I was on the North Branch trail, going southeast, after the parking lot by Central Avenue. There is a real sharp curve before you turn to go up the hill, over the Metra track.

I was more worried of that guy flying around that corner than I was ever afraid of Covid!

Oh that! i never visited that.. i probably would not be able to get up the stairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 08:33 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,260,261 times
ChicagoMeo, lucky for you they are NOT stairs! It's a ramp. Give it a shot! Just be careful of bikers with attitudes!

Old 08-18-2020, 08:48 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
Honest to God, common sense should prevail here. It's not hard.

Putting the city in a vacuum here, because it's not the same.

I have a mask in my pocket when I go outside. I leave it off unless I am approaching people on the sidewalk. Then I throw it on for 15 seconds, take it back off when I pass by. OR, I move over to the side a few feet and leave the mask off.

Either of those things are acceptable. It's 6 feet OR the mask. Don't need both.

If you are offended at someone moving over a few feet out of courtesy, you need a therapist.

Also, I see some people walking around with a mask on the entire time they are outside. That is totally unnecessary but it doesn't affect my life, so I don't care if someone wants to do that. Just don't judge me because mine is not on my face 100% of the time.

Regarding runners - I do agree that if a runner is maskless and approaching people on the path, it is a courteous gesture to run around someone with a few feet to spare. It's not hard. I run in the streets, when I'm approaching someone I make sure to stay 6-10 feet away from them. If that means I have to *gasp* run on the grass for a few steps, so be it.

Running with a mask is just about impossible and an unrealistic ask. I'd be blind from the fog in my glasses and struggle to breathe. The better tactic is to run around people on the path as you approach.

Simple.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:53 AM

Kmanshouse, would you just STOP making this situation easier.?!? LOL

People need things like this to complain about!

Old 08-18-2020, 08:57 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
Jay I am so sick of the mask arguments. The solution is so simple and so intuitive. I just can't understand why some people can't figure it out (or refuse to).

Old 08-18-2020, 09:03 AM

Kmanshouse, I just hope the numbers go down, they can do away with masks, and we can try to get some "normalcy"

Old 08-18-2020, 09:20 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcreek View Post
Name calling validates one's superiority.
Yeah, they sure are punching down at the mayor, and our political class being our betters and all shouldn't have to weather the indignities of being mocked by their benighted subjects. I hope she can weather their blows raining uponher from the rabble.

Besides, everyone knows the way to REALLY validate one's superiority is to conspicuously show how you're just so above it all.

So, does anyone not as interested in posturing have an answer to the actual question I asked?

Old 08-18-2020, 09:40 AM

84 posts, read 47,118 times
If you're asking where Groot came from I think it started on the secondcitycopblog and it references some alien character in a comic book they think she looks like. It's so juvenile hard to really explain but I hope that sheds light.

I think others adopted it here since they read it on a cop blog it makes them feel secretly like they are a cop and not an internet bad ass only. Some probably don't even know where it started and just copied their hero here to get some "rep" points. In the end it's stupid.

I have no complex, but do I think anyone who can discuss complex issues without name calling is superior to one who cannot, yes.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:14 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Honest to God, common sense should prevail here. It's not hard.

Putting the city in a vacuum here, because it's not the same.

I have a mask in my pocket when I go outside. I leave it off unless I am approaching people on the sidewalk. Then I throw it on for 15 seconds, take it back off when I pass by. OR, I move over to the side a few feet and leave the mask off.

Either of those things are acceptable. It's 6 feet OR the mask. Don't need both.

If you are offended at someone moving over a few feet out of courtesy, you need a therapist.

Also, I see some people walking around with a mask on the entire time they are outside. That is totally unnecessary but it doesn't affect my life, so I don't care if someone wants to do that. Just don't judge me because mine is not on my face 100% of the time.

Regarding runners - I do agree that if a runner is maskless and approaching people on the path, it is a courteous gesture to run around someone with a few feet to spare. It's not hard. I run in the streets, when I'm approaching someone I make sure to stay 6-10 feet away from them. If that means I have to *gasp* run on the grass for a few steps, so be it.

Running with a mask is just about impossible and an unrealistic ask. I'd be blind from the fog in my glasses and struggle to breathe. The better tactic is to run around people on the path as you approach.

Simple.
This, 100%. I just move away from people. It's way easier than wearing a mask.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:35 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcreek View Post
If you're asking where Groot came from I think it started on the secondcitycopblog and it references some alien character in a comic book they think she looks like. It's so juvenile hard to really explain but I hope that sheds light.

I think others adopted it here since they read it on a cop blog it makes them feel secretly like they are a cop and not an internet bad ass only. Some probably don't even know where it started and just copied their hero here to get some "rep" points. In the end it's stupid.

I have no complex, but do I think anyone who can discuss complex issues without name calling is superior to one who cannot, yes.
Right, I think I get it. Mocking a powerful elected official, though part of our political traditions dating back to the Colonial era, is not OK. But mocking everyday Joes who read a blog and borrow one of its idiosyncratic references is OK.

I'm definitely starting to see the superiority of it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago