Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 07:14 AM

4,648 posts, read 3,260,261 times

Advertisements

Good morning, city-data.commers,

So I hear that ban was lifted and now I am welcome to come visit Chicago again.

Am I wrong, but wasn't that ban for less than a month? Is the mayor under the impression that the Corona numbers from my State and other States has lowered THAT much?

The reason I ask, is because my own theory is that with the fiasco that has been happening downtown is that Chicago NOW is ready to accept revenue from wherever, given all the looting and the fear of people wanting to visit the downtown area and the fear that store owners will leave.

And if my theory is right, then it is more about MONEY than keeping everybody safe from Covid! And if THAT is the case, then the next question is: Is this just about the mighty dollar, or is the Corona scare just a sham??

Please feel free to share...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 07:48 AM

1,803 posts, read 936,473 times
Money ALWAYS speaks. Though for this ban. it goes both ways for money in reality as long as Wisconsin is Chicago's playground. If Chicago cannot get tourism back from especially the Midwest. That will kill far more business downtown and all that were fed by N Michigan Av touristy draw. Even a Navy Pier closing that seems like it should be impossible but all so real. This year is moot unless Black Friday thru Christmas shopping and visits in general can be salvaged. I doubt that sadly.....

Makes me wonder if the term Black Friday will be scrapped as it seems to not be a good call for this terrible year and decade so far. Seems we just have a dreaming of some post-election miracle to happen and we only move forward again. I would not make a major bet on it.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:51 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Maybe they realized no voodoo occurs when you cross over the line from Antioch to Trevor that would suddenly endanger the health of the 2.7 million people in the city?

Old 08-19-2020, 07:54 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
well, think about it like this.. we are like East Berlin with the Wall .. so sneak in while you can!

Old 08-19-2020, 08:04 AM

One of the things I'm thinking is: if the mayor then is willing to put the safety of the community to the side for the sake of seeing the economy not go any further under, then:

1. She needs to admit that these looters are the fall of Chicago and needs to quit giving them passes

AND

2. Is anyone going to really care so much about masks, social distancing, etc. since it is obviously THAT easy to lift a health-concern ban?

Old 08-19-2020, 08:05 AM

ChicagoMeO, good morning.

Well apparently now I do not need to sneak in

Let's meet for a coffee.

And I'll respect whatever way you want to wear/not wear a mask

Old 08-19-2020, 08:14 AM

1,803 posts, read 936,473 times
Well, just another P O L I T I T I C S and C O N T R O V E R C I E S thread in the Chicago forum with the same post rehashed and done over and over and over. Just all join right in with the fun.

How many of these threads though do we need? Only in THIS FORUM is this pandemic, mask and political slinging taking over every thread and making fun of it all as a new motto - Chicagoland funland.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:20 AM

NoHyping, my apologies.

I heard yesterday that I was allowed to come back to visit Chicago, and was surprised that it ended so quickly.

It led me to wonder why it happened so fast.

I guess it doesn't matter, then, if people stop replying or it gets closed or removed or whatever.

Hope you have a good day.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:58 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good morning, city-data.commers,

So I hear that ban was lifted and now I am welcome to come visit Chicago again.

Am I wrong, but wasn't that ban for less than a month? Is the mayor under the impression that the Corona numbers from my State and other States has lowered THAT much?
I'm surprised that you can afford the tolls! Visits from Cheeseheads are rare because of this.

Old 08-19-2020, 05:26 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
What ban ?? I was there last month and all I seen were some random signs at the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago