Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2020, 12:12 PM

101 posts, read 210,627 times

Advertisements

Nearly everybody would agree that the entire Loop neighborhood (down to Congress Parkway, for this purpose) is considered to be "downtown," and a lot of lifelong Chicagoans insist it is The Loop and nothing else.

However, I have met a lot of people who would definitely consider parts of River North or Streeterville (up to about Hubbard or Illinois in both) or South Loop (sometimes down to the Museum Campus) as being part of "Downtown," too.

Going further, I would imagine many tourists definitely consider the Magnificent Mile and possibly even the Gold Coast up to about Division to be "downtown," as well, in addition to likely all of River North and Streeterville ... possibly even the eastern portions of West Loop/Fulton River District.

So, what do you consider the boundaries of "Downtown Chicago"? I had never really thought about actual boundaries until the other day, but I guess I would think of it as from the Hancock Building to the Museum Campus along the lake north to south, west to about Dearborn or Clark in River North and then the entire Loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 12:57 PM

1,803 posts, read 933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Illini_26 View Post
Nearly everybody would agree that the entire Loop neighborhood (down to Congress Parkway, for this purpose) is considered to be "downtown," and a lot of lifelong Chicagoans insist it is The Loop and nothing else.

However, I have met a lot of people who would definitely consider parts of River North or Streeterville (up to about Hubbard or Illinois in both) or South Loop (sometimes down to the Museum Campus) as being part of "Downtown," too.

Going further, I would imagine many tourists definitely consider the Magnificent Mile and possibly even the Gold Coast up to about Division to be "downtown," as well, in addition to likely all of River North and Streeterville ... possibly even the eastern portions of West Loop/Fulton River District.

So, what do you consider the boundaries of "Downtown Chicago"? I had never really thought about actual boundaries until the other day, but I guess I would think of it as from the Hancock Building to the Museum Campus along the lake north to south, west to about Dearborn or Clark in River North and then the entire Loop.
I just use this by the city under Chicago's CBD (Central Business District). Basically what you cite in your post. It still gets me though that Google still uses Just the Loop to the Lakefront.

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Facil...rict/tksj-nvsw

If some say just the Loop etc. especially ... I use this link. It does surprise me the Museum Campus is excluded and I do see warrant for more the South Loop and even Gold Coast up to Lincoln Park the Park, to just across the Kennedy to the West seems fine though yet. Though could definitely expanding it in coming years.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:58 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
To me it's the Loop, but many people include the Near North Side as part of so-called Downtown Chicago.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:21 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
The Loop is one of Chicago's 77 designated community areas. According the City of Chicago Planning Commission, its boundaries are Lake Michigan to the east, the Chicago River to the north and west, and Roosevelt Rd. to the south.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:25 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Roosevelt Road (South border), Lake Shore Drive (East border), I-90/94 and/or Halsted St (West border), Division St (North border), Excluding River West, Goose Island, and Cabrini Green. That is roughly "downtown Chicago" IMO.

Basically the contiguous area where you see tourists and office workers walking around everywhere. Once it starts to get more residential than touristy as well as low rise and there are more locals walking around than suburban office workers and tourists, you are no longer in downtown.

Last edited by CCrest182; 08-26-2020 at 03:34 PM..

Old 08-26-2020, 04:29 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Roosevelt Road (South border), Lake Shore Drive (East border), I-90/94 and/or Halsted St (West border), Division St (North border), Excluding River West, Goose Island, and Cabrini Green. That is roughly "downtown Chicago" IMO.

Basically the contiguous area where you see tourists and office workers walking around everywhere. Once it starts to get more residential than touristy as well as low rise and there are more locals walking around than suburban office workers and tourists, you are no longer in downtown.

Completely agree with these boundaries. And if you want to define it by neighborhoods, I say it's: Loop (proper), West Loop, South Loop, River North, Streeterville, and Gold Coast.

The street boundaries are more accurate, however.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:42 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,176,538 times
I have always heard the lake to the east, Roosevelt to the south. North ave north and Halstead west.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:29 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
I have always heard the lake to the east, Roosevelt to the south. North ave north and Halstead west.

North Ave is a little too far north for me. Once you get north of Division there's not enough density/hustle/bustle/restaurants/shops/foot-traffic/or large commercial buildings for it to be "downtown." Even when you are near Division and near the boundaries of Roosevelt and Halstead, things start thinning out, but I still think those are fair boundary points.

Although, in it's current state of the pandemic/civil unrest, there's not much of a true "downtown" feel left.

Old 08-27-2020, 03:28 PM

552 posts, read 407,288 times
The city has downtown zoning with expansion areas as far south as the Stevenson east from the lake west to Wentworth, north to Cermak west to Canal. The West Loop runs as far west as Ashland, north to Ogden northeast to Carroll. River West is zoned downtown and to the north all of Division between the lake and Halsted are zoned downtown. That makes Old Town, Cabrini Green, Gold Coast, Motor Row, Chinatown, River West and most of Fulton Market eligible for Downtown density/height.

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...od-growth.html

Unfortunately the corrupted alderman and NIMBY's put developers with ambitious projects through years of torture to either reject or downsize their proposals in all of these expansion districts. If the city actually honored these zones they claim are "downtown" with incentives for developers to expand the footprint on that scale the core would be massive and place Chicago back in the global skyline/downtown conversation. Instead we are getting tons of medium-density low-rise town homes, 4-6 story apartment buildings and mid-rise developments. We also have the never ending retail plague of suburban strip-malls and big-box stores with seas of surface parking.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:55 AM

334 posts, read 170,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Yes, the city of Chicago defines its CBD as East to Lakefront, north to North Avenue, west to Halsted Avenue, and south to Roosevelt Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago