Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 10:25 AM

10 posts, read 5,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Intact family structures and traditions are vital! I think that’s part of why a lot of immigrants whether from Asia, Europe, or Africa do so well in the US compared to the slave descended population here where the ability to have family and community were completely disrupted for several generations with education discouraged, families broke up to be bought and sold, and brutally beaten and raped by their caretakers for both fun and profit. There’s so much that gets passed down if not from direct family, then at least from people in the community! It sort of makes sense to me that a good deal of the Americas, as in the continents, make up the most violent countries in the world during peacetime.

Meanwhile, immigrant cultures that voluntarily come here to try for a better life seem to ultimately do pretty well though I’m pretty sure on the whole, the vast majority of every race and/or ethnicity consists of pretty functional people.
Now why would you reply to that post seriously. They just wanted attention/a reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 01:49 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
It's safe. There is very little street crime. There is organized crime, but if you're not a Chinese business person you won't be affected by that, as mostly it has to do with things like protection rackets and fraud, not street crime.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:19 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
It's safe. There is very little street crime. There is organized crime, but if you're not a Chinese business person you won't be affected by that, as mostly it has to do with things like protection rackets and fraud, not street crime.
I think I've seen some of them when I almost walked inside a pool bar/gambling spot full of shady mafia looking guys on Wentworth.

It's easy to not know that Chinese mafia activity exist( or had exist) in Chicago when they operate in secrecy, and not as documented as the organizations in Chinatowns of San Francisco and New York. Apparently, since the 1930s, there have been two active factions: On Leong and Hip Sing. On Leong has a office on Wentworth, and Hip Sing's office is on Argyle & Broadway at Chinatown northside.
https://www.wbez.org/stories/what-a-...2-eafdf5d8e7ce

Old 09-02-2020, 08:28 AM

4,634 posts, read 3,252,251 times
I remember I went into my favorite restaurant, Moon Palace, and there were a couple of older Italian guys in there. I actually started mentioning some names from the Chicago Outfit, and they shared their opinions of the names I mentioned.

Then they invited me to the Old Neighborhood Italian American Club, which was started by capo, Angelo Lapietra (who ran his crew from there, and his house was a block or 2 away form the Croatian church I sometimes attend, on Princeton Avenue). It was pretty "neat" being invited in to this place where "business" took place, in Chicago's dark side.

I understand that YES, the 26th Street/Chinatown crew is still active.

But going in as a tourist, you will have ZERO problems!

Old 09-02-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I do see a homeless group that seems to have grown a bit, under the bridge along Cermak, close to the Walgreens.

I think usually they are just seeking a handout or food. Be careful, either way!
I was in Chinatown this past weekend and drove past the bridge/viaduct. It looked like a miniature skid-row. I was caught off-guard by the sight of it, as Chicago is not known to have a homeless enclave in visible sight in a neighborhood, though homeless exist here in plenty numbers, and probably more of them used to dwell in the housing projects, quiet as kept. The times have changed.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:46 AM

Chicagoland60426, good morning. I remember maybe 1o years ago I did not see that viaduct by the Walgreens having a homeless situation in any of my visits. but when I went by there last month, it was a lot bigger than I had seen over the last several visits.

Typically when I leave a restaurant in Chinatown, I will share my leftover food with them. and I understand that some people are against this, because then it does not give people a reason to STOP sticking around, if people are willing to share food and/or money.

Oh well, only God can truly judge me!

Old 09-02-2020, 09:30 AM

Good morning to you, too, Master Jay.

Maybe this emerging homeless enclave is result of the pandemic. Also, less fear of any law enforcement breaking it up, now that the latter are under heavy scrutiny.

At least you don't hear about violent acts perpetrated by the homeless here. It's always the other way around. You giving food to them is morally a good deed, though it does give incentive for them to stick around. Admittedly, I haven't been charitable lately. But maybe I have, through indirect methods such as giving away clothes to an organization, and maybe that trinkles do to a homeless shelter.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:40 AM

Chicagoland60426, you may have read in one of other posts, but I tried to share some of the bread that was brought to my table (while you wait for the meal) with a potential homeless man, on Father's Day weekend when I was dining outside of Ignotz's on 24th and Oakley.

That did NOT go well, and actually that is the only time I tried to share food with someone and the situation went south! He actually threatened me, and I made the decision to walk away from him (but trust me, Master Jay is very patient and understanding, but sometimes when I get challenged I do NOT walk away from the person!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: