Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 14,010 times

Advertisements

I have been admitted to Loyola and Depaul for MSHR programs. I graduated from Indiana University 3 years ago, and I am looking to get out of sales into Human Resources. These two schools look very similar, but I am having trouble finding criteria or statistics to differentiate the two. I selected my undergraduate education based on US news rankings and cost. I was unable to find the Human Resources concentration ranked in any major publication.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 03:01 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Have you tried to research this through the Society for Human Resource Management?
SHRM Foundation - Graduate Programs in HR Management (http://www.shrm.org/foundation/directory/ - broken link)

It appears that some schools offer degrees in this area through their Graduate School of Business, I do not know if the potential for a career switch is better with an MBA with a concentration in HR or the MSHR, but I would think either school would allow you to meet with profs and/or career office people to help make this determination...

Old 05-13-2008, 10:08 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
People are always comparing these two schools. I think it really depends on the individual programs. If they are comparable, would you rather spend your time in Lincoln Park or Rogers Park? I don't imagine the HR programs are at the downtown campuses, but I could be wrong.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:11 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Contact the school and find out about 1) cost, 2) what percent of individuals are employed after graduation, and 3) where they are employed

Old 05-15-2008, 09:35 AM

Most of Loyola's & DePaul's graduate programs offered through their business schools are downtown. I would guess even if the programs are LA&S offerings the profs are going to be on the business school roster. I would doubt that anything so "businessy" would not be downtown...

Old 05-15-2008, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 14,010 times
- They are both downtown, I have visited both campuses and they are both fairly similar. Depaul's right next to my work.
- The SHRM website requires you to be a member before any help will be given. I am not going to apply for membership until school begins because the price drops by 80% for students.
- Most MSHR students are part time students so they are almost all working throughout school, this causes statistics to be skued differently than undergraduate schools or full-time MBA programs who use this information.
- The cost is the same; does anyone know if these schools give out scholarships to entice students to make a decision to attend? If so how do I engage the negotiation?
- I believe my best bet is to give the course descriptions and curriculum to one of my undergraduate professors to compare. I have also begun researching the faculty at both institutions to see who has a better pedigree. The professors at Depaul have already been incredibly helpful in scheduling time with me to discuss my career plans and getting me good information. Loyola has sent me an acceptance letter and been very hard to get a hold of, as of now I am leaning towards Depaul.

Last edited by msangid; 05-15-2008 at 11:20 AM..

Old 05-15-2008, 11:58 AM

The one area that Loyola has a definitive edge is getting connections to the Loyola Medical campus -- if that is not factor than I think, based on the other info, the way you are leaning may be the way to go.

I know that for people who use school as an opportunity to network, Loyola is great way to get to know people from their Medical center, as well as the adjacent facilities of the VA and state mental health facility. In general more administrative people who work in Chicago area hospitals of all kinds have connections to Loyola than any other school in the area.

DePaul grads tend to stick pretty close to the City and its campuses in Naperville and near O'Hare so there is no lack of connections for those either, but I don't think there is the focus on one particular segment like there is at Loyola. This is not to say that there are NO outside industries represented at Loyola either -- unless the classes are specific to "health care HR" issues the mix would still not be more than 20% or so hospital related...

I don't know that scholarships are something that they really use to entice to the part-time/working student, but in my experience schools may make some suggestions about how you can 'change the affordability' of education if you talk frankly to the people that are 'enrollment advisors'. Generally the University is not going to cut your tuition directly but they may "evaluate" how many courses you need to enroll vs giving credit for work related experience and/or allowing course to count toward a combined MBA, which may have some after graduation financial pay offs.
College of Commerce -- Kellstadt Graduate School of Business - MBA Programs (broken link)
Loyola University Chicago- Master of Science in Human Resources (MSHR) (http://www.luc.edu/gsb/academics_mshr.shtml - broken link)

Last edited by chet everett; 05-15-2008 at 12:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago