Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 10:29 AM

249 posts, read 182,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Grlzrl, good morning.

I think you may be right. I believe I had read ELLA FRENCH had a 2-month-old?

It is tragic anytime anyone loses a life at a young age.

Prayers and positivity for her family.
No, that was a false rumor. Still tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 10:33 AM

4,645 posts, read 3,254,543 times
Don Cuccino,

As I said, I THOUGHT I had read that. But thanks for clarifying for us all.

And YES, tragic no matter how you look at it.

Have a good day!

Old 08-12-2021, 11:33 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
BRU67, um EXCUSE ME but I am allowed ONE time too act like a jag, on here, since I normally try to be very positive!

It was very tongue-in-cheek, but I didn't want to give that fact away in that post, because I wanted to have a little devilish fun! ...at YOUR expense!!

So I hope you can forgive your brother!

Seriously, there WERE planned protests that unfortunately attracted other people who would use that opportunity to take advantage of chaos, and cause destruction and/or steal, etc.

I would be appalled if anyone denied that fact.

I had reached out to my contacts in the 24th and Oakley neighborhood, the Lincoln Square neighborhood, and the Edison Park neighborhood. And I told them if they had any fear of their homes and establishments being targeted, all they had to do was call me and I would have made the drive down to help them defend it.

I would have fought the "good fight" just as much as those who were part of the protests/riots did to "fight their good fight"!

And May The Better Man Win, is my philosophy!... If I lose my life in the struggle for righteousness, well, then I go out of this world with honor!
There was a lot of question as to whether these riots were organized. They were effectively an insurrection meant to break down law and order and our police institutions. There was a recent Tribune study which showed that our State's Attorneys' office prosecuted very few of the few arrests made in connection with them. Insofar as I can tell, little if anything was done to investigate who organized them and why. This is a perfect time for the Feds to step in and investigate them thoroughly. This shouldn't be a partisan issue.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
There was a lot of question as to whether these riots were organized. They were effectively an insurrection meant to break down law and order and our police institutions. There was a recent Tribune study which showed that our State's Attorneys' office prosecuted very few of the few arrests made in connection with them. Insofar as I can tell, little if anything was done to investigate who organized them and why. This is a perfect time for the Feds to step in and investigate them thoroughly. This shouldn't be a partisan issue.
They arrested over 3,000 people, I wouldn't call that very few arrests.

Old 08-12-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cuccino View Post
They arrested over 3,000 people, I wouldn't call that very few arrests.
I don't know where you got that number but WTTW put it at 1,258.

https://news.wttw.com/2020/06/06/geo...njured-chicago

Maybe you're looking at a broader time window or different data? Regardless, given the scope of the mayhem, both numbers are too low. And furthermore, a Tribune review of police and court records identified 157 people who were charged with felonies stemming from civil unrest and looting in Chicago, far fewer than Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx’s office had indicated.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/inves...htmlstory.html

So whichever way you slice it, the criminal justice system failed miserably. That's when the Feds can and should step in.

Old 08-12-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I don't know where you got that number but WTTW put it at 1,258.

https://news.wttw.com/2020/06/06/geo...njured-chicago

Maybe you're looking at a broader time window or different data? Regardless, given the scope of the mayhem, both numbers are too low. And furthermore, a Tribune review of police and court records identified 157 people who were charged with felonies stemming from civil unrest and looting in Chicago, far fewer than Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx’s office had indicated.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/inves...htmlstory.html

So whichever way you slice it, the criminal justice system failed miserably. That's when the Feds can and should step in.
https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/06...n-last-9-days/

Feds can only investigate federal crimes and vice versa, Looting and rioting in itself is generally a state crime, unless they attack a federal building or travel across state lines. That's why the January 6 MAGA insurrections were investigated by federal govt, also because DC falls under federal jurisdiction.

Old 08-12-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cuccino View Post
https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/06...n-last-9-days/

Feds can only investigate federal crimes and vice versa, Looting and rioting in itself is generally a state crime, unless they attack a federal building or travel across state lines. That's why the January 6 MAGA insurrections were investigated by federal govt, also because DC falls under federal jurisdiction.
Ok thanks. So their felony charge ratio was utterly abysmal. Inexcusable given the level of damage.

As to jurisdiction, the 1/6 Commission was formed to investigate "domestic terrorism," not simply as a police investigation. They based the authority of the Commission on the framework of the 9/11 Commission.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...t1-PgH2574.htm

The term “domestic terrorism” means activities that—

(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;

(B) appear to be intended—

(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;

(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or

(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and

(C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2331

Organized groups were known to have coordinated a lot of the violence here last summer. The stated purpose was to "make change," which could fit under subsections (i)-(iii) there. At best, it's highly questionable as to whether our local officials conducted any serious investigation of these acts. That's why there needs to be a Federal investigation akin to the 1/6 Commission.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:31 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
Quote:
rfomd129, WOW! Thank you!

Welcome to the Chicago/Illinois forum, first of all.

I am not a resident, neither, However, I am from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which is quite close, so I spend a majority of my free time there.

Thank you so much for sharing your story! You have a beautiful attitude, and we can all benefit form hearing such positive stories like that.

And I agree, we should all appreciate law enforcement goes through on a daily basis. And your act of writing a letter to your Police Department is an awesome and beautiful act on your part. I truly believe they were grateful!

We appreciate having people like you out there. Keep it going!!!
Thank you MJ. I only posted what I did in hopes that others would do it too. It sickens me to see how disrespectfully law enforcement officers are treated by the media and while on the job performing their duties. In addition to the inherent danger of their job, they now have to deal with the disgraceful treatment from the very people they are protecting.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:39 PM

4,645 posts, read 3,254,543 times
rfomd129, you are a good soul! You have a great attitude!! You will always be welcome in Chicago and/or Illinois, if you ever visit.

And I know the Chicago Police Department would happily take your encouragement.

Thank you for being a sharer of positive energy.

Old 08-13-2021, 08:35 AM

732 posts, read 485,309 times
Quote:
Ok thanks. So their felony charge ratio was utterly abysmal. Inexcusable given the level of damage.

As to jurisdiction, the 1/6 Commission was formed to investigate "domestic terrorism," not simply as a police investigation. They based the authority of the Commission on the framework of the 9/11 Commission.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...t1-PgH2574.htm

The term “domestic terrorism” means activities that—

(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;

(B) appear to be intended—

(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;

(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or

(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and

(C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2331

Organized groups were known to have coordinated a lot of the violence here last summer. The stated purpose was to "make change," which could fit under subsections (i)-(iii) there. At best, it's highly questionable as to whether our local officials conducted any serious investigation of these acts. That's why there needs to be a Federal investigation akin to the 1/6 Commission.
For real! You got a violent international group, Antifa, wearing masks before it was cool, piggybacking on a national group, BLM, to conduct a prolonged campaign of terror all across US. At least 20 deaths directly, hundreds injured, thousands of businesses wrecked (after already being wrecked by the covid closures), buildings and entire blocks occupied for prolonged periods, and billions of $$ in property damage, requiring immense police presence and oftentimes the national guard to disperse. In the meanwhile, you got members of the DNC giving cover for this if not opening supporting it, and some actively contributing to bail funds for arrested rioters, including the vice president. Of America.

Is there an investigative commission set up for this? No, instead we get to take a deep investigative dive into a bunch of unmasked and easily recognizable yokels who, leaving their guns at home (what percent of them have guns, like 100%?), "insurrected" by smashing their way into the capital building, walked around inside like a bunch of tourists, and then left by their own volition. Unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago