Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 08:44 AM

4,648 posts, read 3,254,543 times

Advertisements

Good morning

I'm wishing you all peace and good health as we start a new week.

Yesterday I had a first date with a lady from Cicero. I wanted to show her the far north side. I took her to Apple Fest which was a GREAT TIME, followed by dinner at Barba Yianni. A man with a sign indicating he was deaf/mute walked by. Now I do not know if he was just a great actor, but my heart went out to him and so I got him a chair and shared my meal with him. He ate it up so fast, I bought him a dinner which he also left no crumb. So if this man WAS faking being a deaf/mute, he was obviously starving, so I have no problem assisting.

After that, we were headed to Norwood Park, and I am VERY SAD to say that I finally experienced a concerning situation in my beloved far north side of Chicago...

We were stopped at a red light, 4 cars behind the stop light, next to Super Dawg, and I heard gun shots. I jumped out of my car and ran to the front of the cars. A man was standing by the side walk, and shouted for someone to call 9-1-1, adding that he had been shot.

I ran back to my car and called 9-1-1. the light was still red, so I drove through it and to the gas station there. I again jumped out of my car and approached the man with the dispatcher on the phone, as several squad cars were also pulling in.

The gentleman had been car jacked AND shot!

I am by no means an EMT or anything, but instinct said for me to take off my shirt and hold it tight against his wound. He was shot in the arm AND in his side. I had his blood running down both of my arms.

Fortunately the ambulance arrived very quickly and took him to the hospital. I was walking around the area with the police and said we can look for the casings. The Officers asked if I was also a Police Officer, or an EMT. No casings were found and then I went in the gas statin bathroom to clean my arms, and I was free to go.

My date was not happy with me, and at first wanted me to take her back to her car.... I asked her if she might want to join me in the "Little Bar" on Northwest Highway in Norwood Park. I had never been there before, and honestly I didn't mind having a drink or 2. She changed her mind and joined me. I bought some of the patrons drinks.

It was a well needed time to catch a breath, and do something more relaxing!

I am still sad because my dream of the safe, far north side was shattered; although we are trained that a situation really CAN happen anywhere. I plan to call later to see how that gentleman is doing.

So please celebrate life, everyone. It is a beautiful and precious thing. Don't take anything for granted.

Peace and love to you from Master Jay

Old 10-04-2021, 09:17 AM

154 posts, read 116,198 times
That sucks...not an area where one would expect that either.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:30 AM

Ycomoque, good morning.

That is true. I have gone past there SO many times.

It is not a common occurrence by any means.

I hope it stays THAT way!!!

Take care!

Old 10-04-2021, 09:54 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
The problem is crime is rising in all areas of the city even those that were known as safe and relatively crime free. Many suburbanites like myself are not even going into the city of Chicago even though we would love doing so because we are now fearful. Too many reports of shootings and car jackings, and shots on the Expressways. We are now pivoting to other areas for recreation in the suburbs which are safer (yes can happen there too) for recreation and restaurants. I am praying there is a new Mayor. Lightfoot has been a disappointment.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:57 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good morning

I'm wishing you all peace and good health as we start a new week.

Yesterday I had a first date with a lady from Cicero. I wanted to show her the far north side. I took her to Apple Fest which was a GREAT TIME, followed by dinner at Barba Yianni. A man with a sign indicating he was deaf/mute walked by. Now I do not know if he was just a great actor, but my heart went out to him and so I got him a chair and shared my meal with him. He ate it up so fast, I bought him a dinner which he also left no crumb. So if this man WAS faking being a deaf/mute, he was obviously starving, so I have no problem assisting.

After that, we were headed to Norwood Park, and I am VERY SAD to say that I finally experienced a concerning situation in my beloved far north side of Chicago...

We were stopped at a red light, 4 cars behind the stop light, next to Super Dawg, and I heard gun shots. I jumped out of my car and ran to the front of the cars. A man was standing by the side walk, and shouted for someone to call 9-1-1, adding that he had been shot.

I ran back to my car and called 9-1-1. the light was still red, so I drove through it and to the gas station there. I again jumped out of my car and approached the man with the dispatcher on the phone, as several squad cars were also pulling in.

The gentleman had been car jacked AND shot!

I am by no means an EMT or anything, but instinct said for me to take off my shirt and hold it tight against his wound. He was shot in the arm AND in his side. I had his blood running down both of my arms.

Fortunately the ambulance arrived very quickly and took him to the hospital. I was walking around the area with the police and said we can look for the casings. The Officers asked if I was also a Police Officer, or an EMT. No casings were found and then I went in the gas statin bathroom to clean my arms, and I was free to go.

My date was not happy with me, and at first wanted me to take her back to her car.... I asked her if she might want to join me in the "Little Bar" on Northwest Highway in Norwood Park. I had never been there before, and honestly I didn't mind having a drink or 2. She changed her mind and joined me. I bought some of the patrons drinks.

It was a well needed time to catch a breath, and do something more relaxing!

I am still sad because my dream of the safe, far north side was shattered; although we are trained that a situation really CAN happen anywhere. I plan to call later to see how that gentleman is doing.

So please celebrate life, everyone. It is a beautiful and precious thing. Don't take anything for granted.

Peace and love to you from Master Jay
Master Jay, you are a true hero to have swung into action like that. My hat is off to you. Yes, crime has spread all over the City. Up until 2015 or so, most violent crime was isolated to the 15 Community Areas on the south and west sides which make up 2/3 of the City's total homicides.

It started to change around that time as opportunistic criminals started realizing there are easy pickings with little risk of consequences in nicer areas. Our State's Attorneys' policies, coupled with the 2016 ACLU consent decree, has really opened the door to an expansion of crime. My friends joke with me that they feel safer in my Little Village neighbourhood than they do downtown now. Sadly, that feeling is based in fact.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
The problem is crime is rising in all areas of the city even those that were known as safe and relatively crime free. Many suburbanites like myself are not even going into the city of Chicago even though we would love doing so because we are now fearful. Too many reports of shootings and car jackings, and shots on the Expressways. We are now pivoting to other areas for recreation in the suburbs which are safer (yes can happen there too) for recreation and restaurants. I am praying there is a new Mayor. Lightfoot has been a disappointment.
Lightfoot has been regretful but let's not forget the policy changes Kim Foxx brought to the State's Attorneys' office after her 2016 election and the 2016 ACLU consent decree. Both of those preceded Lightfoot and started the trend, there is little doubt. We need a better Mayor, I wholly agree, but she's not the sole cause of this.

Compare car jackings. In 2015, the year preceding those two events, there were only 339 car jackings in the City. Not saying that's acceptable but by 2020, that had risen to 1,396! This year, which still isn't over, there have been 1,070. You don't need a formal study to see what has happened.

https://heyjackass.com/

Old 10-04-2021, 10:05 AM

ToriaT, good day to you.

As I'm sure you're aware, the area of this incident pretty much touches the Norwood Park/suburb of Niles border.

I DO have my suburban hang outs, too. So I know exactly what you mean about having your suburban areas for recreation, restaurants, etc.

Stay aware. Stay safe. Stay happy.

EVERYONE!!!!

Old 10-04-2021, 10:11 AM

BRU67,

Thank you for your nice words. I understand that there are good people that just do NOT feel comfortable and/or safe to throw themselves into situations like this. I do NOT hold fault with them.

But SOMEONE has to do something, in situations like this, to help our fellow human beings, if possible.

I took the Tae Kwon Do oath to "Be a champion of freedom and justice" and "To strive to build a more peaceful world."

Trust me, if I die, I want to die with honor, trying to do good in this world, so my children can hold their heads up with family honor.

Sad and odd and true that your friends say La Villita seems safer than downtown, currently.... As I have said before, I will not use last night's episode as a deterrent to come into the city.

I mean: ONE bad episode I've experienced up close and personal in the last 9 years, with as many visits I've had in Chicago!!!!

Old 10-04-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
BRU67,

Thank you for your nice words. I understand that there are good people that just do NOT feel comfortable and/or safe to throw themselves into situations like this. I do NOT hold fault with them.

But SOMEONE has to do something, in situations like this, to help our fellow human beings, if possible.

I took the Tae Kwon Do oath to "Be a champion of freedom and justice" and "To strive to build a more peaceful world."

Trust me, if I die, I want to die with honor, trying to do good in this world, so my children can hold their heads up with family honor.

Sad and odd and true that your friends say La Villita seems safer than downtown, currently.... As I have said before, I will not use last night's episode as a deterrent to come into the city.

I mean: ONE bad episode I've experienced up close and personal in the last 9 years, with as many visits I've had in Chicago!!!!
I mean, our gangs seem to have designated shooting hours - 10:30 p.m. to 4:00 a.m. or so - and they tend to hit innocent bystanders less frequently than some other areas. And if you pay attention and know where the hot spots are (usually an area suffering a gang dispute), you can avoid it. Downtown, by contrast, it's just random, like that recent shooting in the Fulton Market District. Lightfoot and Co. better step it up or this is really going to hurt tourism, corporate relocations, etc.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:06 AM

BRU67, yes. I guess having gangs that have a system and schedule makes it a bit easier!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago