Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2023, 10:44 AM

737 posts, read 487,330 times

Advertisements

Philly, jeez...talk about craphole hoods, check out Kensington "beach" vids on youtube sometime, it's gonna make you appreciate Chicago, bigtime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 11:13 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,182,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Another company leaving Chicago. Crime is one of the reasons.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/fina...-chicago-miami
Do not blame them

Old 05-02-2023, 12:27 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Philly has about 60% of Chicago's population so in general they're usually worse.

Cool spring so far, the warm months is when things will pop off.

Mostly the murders are inflicted on the drug\gang folks (appro 75% per CPD).

I agree with the other poster than things like theft etc. can be a big issue too.

A car theft can be crippling to a struggling family....something I think a lot of people don't think about if they're more affluent.
Nope. Factoring in the population differences, Philly still has an overall lower violent crime "rate" than Chicago.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...ies-in-america

Old 05-02-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Philly, jeez...talk about craphole hoods, check out Kensington "beach" vids on youtube sometime, it's gonna make you appreciate Chicago, bigtime!
I have lived in Philly. Agree that it's definitely got some bad areas, but is it that much worse than parts of Englewood?!?! Visually maybe, and maybe in terms of concentrations of drug addicts. But just like people from Chicago like to mention that about the South/West sides, that's just one small section of Philly and definitely not representative of the whole city.

Philly doesn't have a movie or a nickname like "Chiraq"; Philly does not make the headlines every summer weekend; Philly isn't the first city you think of when you hear about violent crime the way Chicago is.

Point is, I agree Philly has some bad looking spots, but it's not gonna make me appreciate Chicago, bigtime! Just like cr*p spots in the South or West sides don't define Chicago. And Chicago has a far worse crime reputation in popular media (fair or not), so it crime is not something it can point to as being "better" than Philly on.

Here is the "rates" (accounting for differences in population) of violent crime. Chicago makes the top 20. Philly does not......

Old 05-02-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Another company leaving Chicago. Crime is one of the reasons.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/fina...-chicago-miami
That especially hurts because they were in the West Loop, which is one of Chicago's most booming districts. Shame.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:52 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,857,367 times
I think we are splitting hairs on Philly v Chicago.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabe...h=4f6d6954309a

Forbes has Philly as 15th most dangerous city for 2023 and Chicago is not on the list.

Other lists have Chicago but not Philly.

It's a dumb debate.

Old 05-02-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I have lived in Philly. Agree that it's definitely got some bad areas, but is it that much worse than parts of Englewood?!?! Visually maybe, and maybe in terms of concentrations of drug addicts. But just like people from Chicago like to mention that about the South/West sides, that's just one small section of Philly and definitely not representative of the whole city.

Philly doesn't have a movie or a nickname like "Chiraq"; Philly does not make the headlines every summer weekend; Philly isn't the first city you think of when you hear about violent crime the way Chicago is.

Point is, I agree Philly has some bad looking spots, but it's not gonna make me appreciate Chicago, bigtime! Just like cr*p spots in the South or West sides don't define Chicago. And Chicago has a far worse crime reputation in popular media (fair or not), so it crime is not something it can point to as being "better" than Philly on.

Here is the "rates" (accounting for differences in population) of violent crime. Chicago makes the top 20. Philly does not......

Personone, u and me are on the same page regarding worries about Chicago, crime, etc. But I will say this, there's nothing like Kensington in Chicago, nowhere, not even Englewood.

For those curious about this, exhibit A:

https://youtu.be/cOBoDT-3oM0

Old 05-02-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Personone, u and me are on the same page regarding worries about Chicago, crime, etc. But I will say this, there's nothing like Kensington in Chicago, nowhere, not even Englewood.

For those curious about this, exhibit A:

https://youtu.be/cOBoDT-3oM0
Agree. Although, I have to admit, as crazy as it sounds, I have seen equal (if not slightly worse) stretches like Kensington in Baltimore. I agree that Kensignton (and areas of Baltimore) has some of the worst looking slums (visually) in the US.

Old 05-02-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Agree. Although, I have to admit, as crazy as it sounds, I have seen equal (if not slightly worse) stretches like Kensington in Baltimore. I agree that Kensignton (and areas of Baltimore) has some of the worst looking slums (visually) in the US.
I did hear Baltimore has some of that, but Kensington OMG! I've seen vids of that area, cops are just standing around, and right within sight of them is some dude shooting up. I mean this would be a movie from the 80's, warning about losing the war on drugs. Good lord!

Old 05-02-2023, 07:05 PM

839 posts, read 456,765 times
Quote:
Chicago once again has the highest total murders so far at 170 as of May 1. Philly is at 134 (down 15% from last year). Houston doesn’t report their current numbers, but they were at 80 through March (down 27% from last year).
Houston is at 106 as of May 2nd. Down from 149 from the same period last year (-28% change). The city has definitely done well compared to last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago