Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 11:04 AM

830 posts, read 486,473 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be visiting Chicago in December with a group of friends and would like to visit a Japanese restaurant or two. We prefer an izakaya type, lively, and Japanese owned.

My wife is Japanese and I speak the language, so being Japanese owned and operated adds a lot for us. We enjoy speaking to the staff as a substitute for another trip to Japan.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 03:07 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
My wife and I will be visiting Chicago in December with a group of friends and would like to visit a Japanese restaurant or two. We prefer an izakaya type, lively, and Japanese owned.

My wife is Japanese and I speak the language, so being Japanese owned and operated adds a lot for us. We enjoy speaking to the staff as a substitute for another trip to Japan.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
Izakaya Mita just recently re-opened for full dining service and is highly regarded. (And Japanese owned, I believe)

https://izakayamita.com/

Old 11-05-2021, 03:37 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,664 times
Another possibility, Momotaro
https://www.momotarochicago.com/

As far as "speaking with the staff", all restaurants seem to be having staffing issues so be ready to speak more than Japanese!

Old 11-07-2021, 01:54 PM

885 posts, read 623,973 times
I enjoyed my dining experience at Yuzu, which is located at 1715 W. Chicago Ave. This is in Ukrainian Village/West Town.

This restaurant offers expertly prepared sushi and Japanese style robata grilled dishes. The sushi is accompanied by many tasty sauces.

Yuzu also features flame grilled and skewered meats, as well as perfectly spiced fish and vegetables.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:01 PM

504 posts, read 496,015 times
Hello - I lived in Japan and while the suggestions here are good, I would strongly advocate that you do the chef tasting menu at Kai Zan and don't look back. It is a 10-11 course meal that mixes traditional and experimental japanese food. Award winning place and you won't find a better deal given the quality and number of courses.

Old 11-08-2021, 07:15 AM

749 posts, read 580,033 times
For Japanese fast food. The food court at Mitsuwa grocery in Arlington Hts. Fast, noisy, crowded. Plastic. I ate there only once.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:03 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Toro Sushi in Lincoln Park is a very small restaurant and not sure if it meets the definition of Izakaya, but it is very popular, great food, and the whole staff is Japanese to my knowledge. Only downside is that it is very small and packed, so for a group gathering it may not be the best experience. And I haven't been there (to eat in-person) since COVID, so dine-in may be even more limited now. They are only open during dinner hours. Some of the best Bento Boxes and Sushi I've had.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:20 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,250,689 times
Good morning, I remember sometime ago I think I started a thread on the best hibachi in Chicago.

And I found the responses to be great, and informative.

And for some reason I feel MIDORI, in the North Park neighborhood was one of the mentioned names for authentic places?

And Dapper Zoom, wheny ou are in town, try to check out a Barnes and Noble. I have seen, in the Local/Chicago book section, a book on "Japanese in Chicago." You and your wife might find it to be a good read. I have bought a handful of these books.

Old 11-08-2021, 02:21 PM

529 posts, read 647,382 times
The most authentic place in the region is Sankyu Sushi in Mt. Prospect. Not too far from Mitsuwa.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:56 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,801 times
After I lived in Tokyo, I lived in Chicago for a couple of years and was delighted to find this place just a few short blocks from my building:

Welcome — Murasaki Sake Lounge // 紫酒ラウンジ

If you find yourselves near the Magnificent Mile, then Murasaki should be both convenient and what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: