Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 09:19 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

In a bit of a predicament. Currently based in suburb outside of Nashville, TN. My hometown. Moved back a couple of years ago to help take care of a niece and nephew as well as an aging grandmother. Love my family but not a fan of the suburban lifestyle. Nashville bores me. Have always dreamed of living in Chicago. Truth be told, if my family where not in Tennessee I would probably never come back. Living in TN drains me. Spending time in chicago energizes me. Also, I am a 40 year old single male.

Contemplating ways that I can organize my life so I can enjoy time in both cities. Ideally would like to spend three weeks in TN and one week in Chicago each month. In the summers I would probably spend more time in Chicago. Would love to have a place in Chicago that is in my name. Don't care to have to always search for a hotel or airbnb. Want a place that is mine with my own furniture.

Any thoughts on how I can make this work. Would it make sense for me to rent a cheaper studio downtown or would it make more sense to look into a smaller home in one of the suburbs 20 mins outside of city?

My heart has always been in Chicago. I am finally making the kind of money that will allow me to have the ability to live in two places. Does a 1 week per month situation make sense here? Would it make sense to rent a place or buy a place? The drive from TN to Chicago takes btw 7-8 hours. I am lucky to be able to work from home.

Any direction is appreciated.

Best,

USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 05:30 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,467 times
I hope you can find a way to do this.

I don't have a LOT to offer here, but we did rent a place to do approximately what you're trying to do, but in a location that was 2 days' drive away. That was too far - I do not think Chicago/Nashville would be.

From that experience, I'd recommend making the Chicago place a rental for the first year at least, and finding as nice a place, in the neighborhood that interests you, as you can comfortably afford. We had a dog, so our choices were limited, and the apartment we ended up in ... well, we made the best of it, but it was NOT a great apartment complex and it colored our experience when we were in it.

So, I'd rent, not buy, and I would not do suburbs if being IN the city energizes you. I think you'll want to be fully here for the one week per month when you can swing it.

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2021, 06:19 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Based on your comments I think you should look inside the city limits. Suburbs are suburbs whether here in Illinois or Tennessee and it's no fun driving (or taking a train) into the city to do stuff. Sounds like you'd be better off living where the action is. If you're not sure where you want to be, as Gemini said, rent at first.

Although an 8 hour drive isn't terrible, it may wear you down doing it monthly. You may want to consider flying when possible. I had a contract job in downtown Chicago when I was living in Atlanta back in the late 90's and I used to fly back and forth weekly.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:19 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
I'm not sure. I had a colleague who lived here for decades and then moved to Michigan for work. He still has his place.

It was a little different situation because he had a condo that was pretty much paid off, I believe, so he comes back to Chicago on the weekend and for a few weeks here and there.

If you are looking to actually buy a place, that is a little bit different. The only thing I can think of is buying a 2 BR or more and using it as a rental property, but only rent out one room so that you have a place to stay when you come.

Unless you are very well-off financially. If that's the case, life is short, so you might as well enjoy it. Buy a reasonable (but not super expensive) place to enjoy 1 week out of the month.

Those are the only 2 options I can think of.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:46 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
If you think you will keep your Chicago place long term, I'd buy it as an investment, and then over time you may be able to live there more and more.

Avoid the suburbs of Chicago if you are bored by the suburbs in Nashville.

Personally, I would avoid "downtown" though. Look at the West Loop, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Logan Square, maybe even Ravenswood or Bucktown.

Old 11-11-2021, 12:08 PM

249 posts, read 182,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
If you think you will keep your Chicago place long term, I'd buy it as an investment, and then over time you may be able to live there more and more.

Avoid the suburbs of Chicago if you are bored by the suburbs in Nashville.

Personally, I would avoid "downtown" though. Look at the West Loop, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Logan Square, maybe even Ravenswood or Bucktown.
Buying at the peak of a housing market is generally not a good idea. We are at a peak or very near it.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:44 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Excellent comments all. Thanks so much for chiming in. Sounds like a rental is the way to go right now. I'm going to take a trip to the city soon to scout a few locations. Thinking that winter may be a good time to find a good deal. Will follow up once I've decided on a place. Thanks again!

Old 11-12-2021, 09:42 AM

314 posts, read 237,462 times
I would look for something to rent, airbnb are not bad if you want to stay a couple days a month. the market here is expensive especially the closer you get to the city

Old 11-12-2021, 09:49 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,260,261 times
Good morning....

And is it TRUE, that it is actually cheaper on property taxes to live within COOK County, versus LAKE County?

And as an outsider I have to ask: Are other taxes (thinking SALES taxes) different in those 2 counties??

Thank you....

Old 11-12-2021, 10:31 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
I would not sign a lease, I would go with an Air BNB to see if it works for you. Then you can vary the areas you stay in to see what is a good fit. You can try going into different neighborhoods in Chicago to see if you like it, you could also try inner suburbs like Evanston and Oak Park to see if they suit you better. If it is a success and you decide you want your own property, you will have a good idea of where to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago