Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 AM

29 posts, read 46,329 times

Advertisements

It is amazing how many retail places all over NOVA are begging for workers. I am curious why they are struggling so hard to find workers in today's tough economy.

Does your teenager have a job if he or she wants one? Tell us his or her story looking for a part time job in Northern VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Okay, I'll bite. Yes, my teen does have a part-time job but it is at a "dog resort." Both of my teens had terrible experiences getting retail jobs. Most of them did not want to hire from the under-18 set. My daughter, who is no longer a teen but a 21 year old college student finally did have success getting a retail job in a small town about 4 hours away.

I think it's been awful for teens to find jobs in this area.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:15 PM

17 posts, read 24,622 times
What about a cashier job? Seems like I only run into teenage cashiers these days.. Best Buy, local Giant, Kmart..Target

Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 PM

29 posts, read 46,329 times
I go to all the local malls such as Tysons, Fair Oaks and strip malls and see tons of kids working there. Nearly everyone has a sign that says HELP WANTED.

I agree though many of the jobs teens used to do are now done by immigrant adults. And most places would rather hire someone over 18.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:29 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
I'm 30 now, but finding a job from ages 16-20 was next to impossible. Burger King and McDonalds were hiring for less than 5 or 6 bucks an hour so the gas to drive there and the limited hours I could work due to school didn't make it worth it. Ha, make $20-24/day before taxes? I could find things at the junk yard and sell them on Ebay and make more money.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I could find things at the junk yard and sell them on Ebay and make more money.
Two of my kids have made quite a lot of money through Ebay and other online sale sites.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:52 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I'm 30 now, but finding a job from ages 16-20 was next to impossible. Burger King and McDonalds were hiring for less than 5 or 6 bucks an hour so the gas to drive there and the limited hours I could work due to school didn't make it worth it. Ha, make $20-24/day before taxes? I could find things at the junk yard and sell them on Ebay and make more money.
I'm 37 now and had no problem finding jobs in the summer or school year. Come to think of it, I don't recall ever not getting a call back when submitting an application. Fast food, grocery store cashier, snack stand, retail, pharmacy. I did it all, starting when I was 15. I guess I felt like I didn't have a choice, as my parents did not provide me any spending money.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
A lot of teens in my neighborhood work at our town center - Harris Teeter, California Tortilla, Coldstone, Caribou Coffee, Go Bananas (toy store), Regal Cinema. It's easy for them to get to work (walk or short drive from home, short walk from the high school). A lot of teens work for themselves as babysitters, dog walkers, housesitters... and they make good money too.

My first paying job (Kansas City, age 15) was in a bowling alley nursery. I still have the photocopy of my first ever paycheck. They promised me that I could move up to the snack bar when I turned 16, but I didn't last that long. I jumped ship to a florist where there no little kids yelling and screaming and needing their diapers changed.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:55 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
It may be easier in some areas than others. I've heard a lot of adults are taking kid jobs out in the exurbs but here in the inner suburbs my kids have never had much difficulty finding work whenever they wanted it, before, during or after the recession. They either worked in Old Town or here in Mount Vernon. They usually got jobs through friends.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:29 PM

270 posts, read 908,561 times
I see lots of help wanted signs around Old Town. Every kid I know who wants to work has a job, but they don't work very many hours - like just Saturday for four hours. Lots of kids just don't have time to work. The big money for teens around here is in summer dog walking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia