Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 06:49 PM

10 posts, read 7,209 times

Advertisements

There is a new modern apartment building across the street from Wrigley on Addison between Clark and Sheffield. The units have very good soundproofing, so noise levels aren't a concern. But how would living in that area be? I understand it can get rowdy with a lot of drunk people. Can anyone who has spent a lot of time in that area or who lives nearby speak to what it's like living in that area and if it would be miserable or not really that bad? I appreciate any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 07:39 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,386 times
1) you will not be able to get in and out in a car or bus during game times.
2) High low level crime. Panhandling, public urination.
3) You wont want to eat out in local places.

Of course all this is not germane if you are in college

Old 02-06-2022, 08:42 PM

212 posts, read 230,779 times
Well, if you’re used to River North and the Gold Coast, it’s really only a bit rowdier than those places on weekends, I’d say. The crowds never made me miserable. It was always fun times. Probably walk to the Southport Brown Line on game days though. As a Cubs fan, I wouldn’t hesitate to live there

Old 02-06-2022, 09:16 PM

3,048 posts, read 3,317,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowner123 View Post
There is a new modern apartment building across the street from Wrigley on Addison between Clark and Sheffield. The units have very good soundproofing, so noise levels aren't a concern. But how would living in that area be? I understand it can get rowdy with a lot of drunk people. Can anyone who has spent a lot of time in that area or who lives nearby speak to what it's like living in that area and if it would be miserable or not really that bad? I appreciate any insight.
As time goes on the Cubs keep adding on more evening/night games. The days of all day games are over. Will be a good test how good that soundproofing is.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
1) you will not be able to get in and out in a car or bus during game times.
2) High low level crime. Panhandling, public urination.
3) You wont want to eat out in local places.

Of course all this is not germane if you are in college
Haha well I'm definitely past college age. Are you saying I wouldn't want to eat at local places in general (the restaurants suck?) or just on game day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post
Well, if you’re used to River North and the Gold Coast, it’s really only a bit rowdier than those places on weekends, I’d say. The crowds never made me miserable. It was always fun times. Probably walk to the Southport Brown Line on game days though. As a Cubs fan, I wouldn’t hesitate to live there
How would you feel about living there if you weren't a Cubs fan or just didn't care about baseball? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
As time goes on the Cubs keep adding on more evening/night games. The days of all day games are over. Will be a good test how good that soundproofing is.
Lolol sounds like a threat!

Old 02-07-2022, 12:49 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,839,150 times
It's a great area with lots to do. The new public park outside of wrigley is very nice. They hold movie nights during the summer and it's a skating rink in the winter. The bars and restaurants nearby are actually quite good. I don't know what the other poster is trying to say but the options for food are amazing, I would love to live there for the food alone. My recommendations are Happy Camper for pizza, Big Star for Tacos, Old Crow for BBQ and Lowcountry for Seafood!

Not to mention the building you're talking about is a mall with a soon to open movie theater and other options of things to do like bowling, Arcade, shopping etc.

In addition, you're close to dispensary if that's your thing and of course bars, bars and more bars. One of my favorite bars of all time is Murphys Bleachers!

It's a great area, if you can withstand the noise. Despite the building being soundproofed, just know that there WILL be noise. But it's the city, what do you expect?

Old 02-07-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
It's a great area with lots to do. The new public park outside of wrigley is very nice. They hold movie nights during the summer and it's a skating rink in the winter. The bars and restaurants nearby are actually quite good. I don't know what the other poster is trying to say but the options for food are amazing, I would love to live there for the food alone. My recommendations are Happy Camper for pizza, Big Star for Tacos, Old Crow for BBQ and Lowcountry for Seafood!

Not to mention the building you're talking about is a mall with a soon to open movie theater and other options of things to do like bowling, Arcade, shopping etc.

In addition, you're close to dispensary if that's your thing and of course bars, bars and more bars. One of my favorite bars of all time is Murphys Bleachers!

It's a great area, if you can withstand the noise. Despite the building being soundproofed, just know that there WILL be noise. But it's the city, what do you expect?
You're actually doing a good job of selling me on the location! I think my biggest concern is not about the noise but rather the crowds and like how bad/wild things can get. Do people go crazy on all game days or just the weekends? Is it just a minor nuisance to have to deal with crowds and is it just for a block or two etc.? Trying to understand how bad living right there would be.

Regarding noise, here were some yelp comments:

"We overlook Wrigley and were worried about noise. Absolutely no issue"

"I was originally worried about the noise level in the building, given its location. However, I have never been bothered by the outside noise, even during the homestretch of the Cubs season."

So again I'm not too concerned about that aspect.

Old 02-07-2022, 04:29 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
That spot is very 20s, and you are close, early 30s, so it might still fit you for awhile. But it's not a long term option if you are looking for that, IMHO.

Cub fans are pretty tame, generally. Mostly people who just want to drink with their friends. After the game there can be some beer muscle people though, looking to fight. But that's a minority group.

It's not the place to live if being near high-end or high-quality ethnic food is important to you, or if you want authentic bars. It's a touristy, party area, fun for the right type of person. I've heard it called the Florida of Chicago, and that sounds about right.

Old 02-07-2022, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
That spot is very 20s, and you are close, early 30s, so it might still fit you for awhile. But it's not a long term option if you are looking for that, IMHO.

Cub fans are pretty tame, generally. Mostly people who just want to drink with their friends. After the game there can be some beer muscle people though, looking to fight. But that's a minority group.

It's not the place to live if being near high-end or high-quality ethnic food is important to you, or if you want authentic bars. It's a touristy, party area, fun for the right type of person. I've heard it called the Florida of Chicago, and that sounds about right.
Cool that helps! Doesn't sound miserable. And yeah, I'm fine with it not being a long term option. I'm just looking for a modern/new managed rental property (ideally with a pool) in Lakeview to see if I like living up there, and this is one of the few options.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:25 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,839,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowner123 View Post
You're actually doing a good job of selling me on the location! I think my biggest concern is not about the noise but rather the crowds and like how bad/wild things can get. Do people go crazy on all game days or just the weekends? Is it just a minor nuisance to have to deal with crowds and is it just for a block or two etc.? Trying to understand how bad living right there would be.

Regarding noise, here were some yelp comments:

"We overlook Wrigley and were worried about noise. Absolutely no issue"

"I was originally worried about the noise level in the building, given its location. However, I have never been bothered by the outside noise, even during the homestretch of the Cubs season."

So again I'm not too concerned about that aspect.
I lived in the area for over 5 years from 25-30. Will you have a car? My biggest problem with being there on game days was that traffic was terrrrrrible. It was difficult to get around before or after the game. If you don't plan on driving, the foot traffic can be niussance but it wasn't a huge deal. I've never seen many issues on game days. Usually the worst you'll see is someone peeing in an alley or girls crying for whatever reason.

I would say the pros of being able to go watch the game with a bunch of rowdy fans outweighs any of the cons I experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago