Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 5,953 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

Quick background on me, from the UK originally but have been in the US for the best part of the last decade (thought it would only be 2 years) but here we are! I have spent time in Philadelphia, New York and San Diego for work. Post covid the next city for my career is Chicago.

I am 36 and single. Will be on an income range of $90k-$100k + soon enough but need to budget on the $70/80k range for the next 12 months just in case things don't take off as expected. I know 36 is probably old for mid west standards but I am still doing the young professional things at heart. I like breweries, coffee shops, gigs, house clubs and the music scene, running, good restaurants, sports, socializing etc.

My priorities are being able to walk to stuff that's cool and finding a good neighborhood feel but also easy public transportation to the office. Some quick research looks like state and state/lake would be the nearest to the office near Michigan Ave. I will be there a few days a week at least.

Was looking at Wicker Park maybe, any thoughts or insights greatly appreciated! My Boss is in Lincoln Park and suggested checking out that area. Want to look at somewhere 1 bedroom under $2k the nearest $1500 the better I guess but also mindful I need to have somewhere comfortable as will likely be working at home for at least a few days a week. I have lived inner city London and Philly so I am no stranger to a proper city life it that makes sense.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 06:28 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStarter22 View Post
Hi All!

Quick background on me, from the UK originally but have been in the US for the best part of the last decade (thought it would only be 2 years) but here we are! I have spent time in Philadelphia, New York and San Diego for work. Post covid the next city for my career is Chicago.

I am 36 and single. Will be on an income range of $90k-$100k + soon enough but need to budget on the $70/80k range for the next 12 months just in case things don't take off as expected. I know 36 is probably old for mid west standards but I am still doing the young professional things at heart. I like breweries, coffee shops, gigs, house clubs and the music scene, running, good restaurants, sports, socializing etc.

My priorities are being able to walk to stuff that's cool and finding a good neighborhood feel but also easy public transportation to the office. Some quick research looks like state and state/lake would be the nearest to the office near Michigan Ave. I will be there a few days a week at least.

Was looking at Wicker Park maybe, any thoughts or insights greatly appreciated! My Boss is in Lincoln Park and suggested checking out that area. Want to look at somewhere 1 bedroom under $2k the nearest $1500 the better I guess but also mindful I need to have somewhere comfortable as will likely be working at home for at least a few days a week. I have lived inner city London and Philly so I am no stranger to a proper city life it that makes sense.

Cheers!
Depending on your standards, you can find a $1,500 one-bedroom apartment in any neighborhood. It just isn't going to be the nicest. At $2k per month you will find more options with creature comforts like A/C, dishwasher, etc.

There are a lot of single 36-year-olds. This is not 1940.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:22 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,581,918 times
The music scene, somewhat decentralized as many neighborhoods have multiple venues/bars with performances, seems to be gravitating to Uptown, so if you live in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, or even Uptown itself, you'll have easy access. The red line or a number of 130'sih/140'ish buses will get you to the Loop in no time.

Nothing wrong with Wicker Park (though the blue line has been maddening the past few years), but I think, at least for your first place in Chicago, you should be walking distance from the lake. It's such an important and underappreciated part of our city.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Depending on your standards, you can find a $1,500 one-bedroom apartment in any neighborhood. It just isn't going to be the nicest. At $2k per month you will find more options with creature comforts like A/C, dishwasher, etc.

There are a lot of single 36-year-olds. This is not 1940.
Haha! Thanks! It is just when I tell all my east coast friends about the move they are like ,everyone will be settled don with kids and it will be hard to make friends at that age etc so I will try to prove them wrong.

Maybe being near the Lake for the first year is a good choice if I can find something decent in Lincoln Park / LakeView East. I really want a cool neighborhood that has stuff going on after work and at the weekends though. I didn't like being super downtown Philly for the first year I was there as it was a bit of a deadzone at weekends. Whereas Fishtown/Northern Liberties was the place to be even though the commute was longer.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
The music scene, somewhat decentralized as many neighborhoods have multiple venues/bars with performances, seems to be gravitating to Uptown, so if you live in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, or even Uptown itself, you'll have easy access. The red line or a number of 130'sih/140'ish buses will get you to the Loop in no time.

Nothing wrong with Wicker Park (though the blue line has been maddening the past few years), but I think, at least for your first place in Chicago, you should be walking distance from the lake. It's such an important and underappreciated part of our city.
Thank you for the advice, out of the places you mention that are walking distance to the lake where has cool neighborhood vibes with bars coffee shops and a nice waking around feel would you say? Also not opposed to be able to stroll to a trader joes haha.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:34 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,581,918 times
Uptown is a bit more gritty (though changing dramatically for the better), whereas Lakeview and Lincoln Park (and several other north side neighborhoods like Old Town, North Center, and Roscoe Village) are somewhat homogenous and have those desired traits.

I would say that living right off Diversey (literally the divide between Lakeview and Lincoln Park) is the best of all worlds, especially for a new resident who doesn't really know Chicago. There, the more east you go, the closer you are to the massive park Lincoln Park (both a neighborhood and actual park), the harbor/lake, bike paths, zoo, and buses like the 156, 151, 22, 36, etc, all of which can take you downtown in 15-20 minutes

A bit more west, and you're close to the Diversey brown line which gets you to the loop or northwestern neighborhoods depending on your intention. And there's a massive variety of retail and eateries in every direction, though there are some noticeable vacancies due to COVID and changing trends. But that's everywhere.

Do please visit Matisse; that was my old stomping ground when I moved here 10 years ago.

Plus you can take the 76 Diversey bus westbound to Logan Square where there are tons of attractive people, interesting shops, a decent music and arts scene, hipster coffee shops, endless construction, etc.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:45 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
Okay...

1) Lincoln Park is a rich neighborhood, and some parts of it have good action, nightlife, etc. Other parts are more of a quiet, rich enclave.

2) Wicker Park is young, and it used to be more of a bohemia/rugged area that is now "whitewashed" by many people's standards. The Blue Line train is probably the most crowded, as they keep building high rises along there. Many people believe WP was better 10-20 years ago and is more sterile now. But others like it.

3) Lakeview is huge. Lakeview East certainly has a lot of action and nightlife. It's also one of two high concentrations of LBGTQ population in the city. One area of it is called Boystown. Lakeview also encompasses Wrigleyville (Wrigley Field - Cubs stadium). That part of Lakeview is post-college frat boys drinking cheap beer and being loud. Tons of nightlife but at 36 you may feel old. Head west of Wrigley and it calms down, it's very nice and you have nightlife options but it's more subdued - look at Southport Corridor or Roscoe Village for this vibe.

4) Old Town is another option. There is definitely nightlife here. It's a little bro-ey still but not as bad as Wrigley. It's also the comedy spot with two legendary clubs there. I'm 50 and I'd consider living in Old Town in my 30s.

5) West Loop is another option. This is where many high-end restaurants are - it's expensive but your age fits nicely. Lots of converted warehouses and such. I'd say it's less of a community feel though, and will be full of tourists.

6) River North is the biggest tourism area of the city. It has tons of restaurants and nightlife all over the place. Loud and very busy.

7) Don't live in the business district. Dead at night.

8) There are other really nice neighborhoods in Chicago, but I'll refrain there because they are less focused on nightlife, which seems to be a priority for you.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Okay...

1) Lincoln Park is a rich neighborhood, and some parts of it have good action, nightlife, etc. Other parts are more of a quiet, rich enclave.

2) Wicker Park is young, and it used to be more of a bohemia/rugged area that is now "whitewashed" by many people's standards. The Blue Line train is probably the most crowded, as they keep building high rises along there. Many people believe WP was better 10-20 years ago and is more sterile now. But others like it.

3) Lakeview is huge. Lakeview East certainly has a lot of action and nightlife. It's also one of two high concentrations of LBGTQ population in the city. One area of it is called Boystown. Lakeview also encompasses Wrigleyville (Wrigley Field - Cubs stadium). That part of Lakeview is post-college frat boys drinking cheap beer and being loud. Tons of nightlife but at 36 you may feel old. Head west of Wrigley and it calms down, it's very nice and you have nightlife options but it's more subdued - look at Southport Corridor or Roscoe Village for this vibe.

4) Old Town is another option. There is definitely nightlife here. It's a little bro-ey still but not as bad as Wrigley. It's also the comedy spot with two legendary clubs there. I'm 50 and I'd consider living in Old Town in my 30s.

5) West Loop is another option. This is where many high-end restaurants are - it's expensive but your age fits nicely. Lots of converted warehouses and such. I'd say it's less of a community feel though, and will be full of tourists.

6) River North is the biggest tourism area of the city. It has tons of restaurants and nightlife all over the place. Loud and very busy.

7) Don't live in the business district. Dead at night.

8) There are other really nice neighborhoods in Chicago, but I'll refrain there because they are less focused on nightlife, which seems to be a priority for you.

Thanks for all that info. Would not say a priority. I mean I am not living up until 2am every Friday and Saturday night. Those days are gone lol, more like a decent bar scene, somewhere where you can actually find a local watering holes, hipster coffee shops and a place that has a lot of walkable stuff. If there is a club night that really interests me I can always travel! Should have clarified that a bit more.

Want to avoid the bro style frat places!

Old 03-16-2022, 11:50 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
36 is not old!!!!

Old 03-16-2022, 09:40 PM

Thoughts on Logan Square?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago