Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 01:40 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlund14 View Post
Are you saying living on the North Side with a car would be expensive due to tickets and fines? From what I understand, parking in these neighborhoods only requires a $75 city sticker and a $25 zone parking sticker. Or am I missing something?
It’s not always easy to find a spot. Depends on how much you value your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 12:20 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
It’s not always easy to find a spot. Depends on how much you value your time.
Add to that, if you find offstreet parking it will be very expensive.

Old 05-09-2022, 04:42 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
I'd look at Kansas or Oklahoma.

Old 05-09-2022, 05:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'd look at Kansas or Oklahoma.
Best of luck in OK. Car insurance is going through the roof.

Old 05-09-2022, 06:26 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
It's not bad if you don't need your car. I'd just look at Missouri or Indiana.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:01 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Are you saying living on the North Side with a car would be expensive due to tickets and fines? From what I understand, parking in these neighborhoods only requires a $75 city sticker and a $25 zone parking sticker. Or am I missing something?
These places have very little on the street parking hence the $25 parking sticker. Parking Stickers are permits that only allow people who live on that block(or area) to park there by paying a fee and the people who live on that block were the one's who motioned the city to restrict the parking(often because something was causing a lack of parking however there can be other reasons). Not all of the northside is like that but the hot areas are.

Tickets and fines only occur if your break laws but one law that can become a problem for certain people is the abandoned vehicle law. Basically you need to move your car at least once in seven days if parking on the street. This law isn't a problem for people who need their cars for work but can be a problem if you use public transportation(because you work downtown and can't afford the parking). This law is strictly enforced in areas with bad parking. In addition a vehicle that obviously can't be moved(flat tires, broken windows) can be ticketed and towed immediately.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:54 PM

212 posts, read 230,779 times
Dude go for it. It’s Summer. Get a storage unit on the South Side and sleep in your car and in parks and wash up at the beach before work. Back of the Yards, Brighton Park, and Little Village are great suggestions. Meet your future roommates at art openings. You can move in next October and rent a garage with the money you saved. Some of Chicago is still affordable even if it takes serious effort to find a good spot, so live here while you can and move to Indiana or Missouri later. Other neighborhoods that would be cool are Mayfair, Hermosa, the town of Cicero, and if you’re tough, Garfield Park or North Lawndale

Old 05-13-2022, 08:29 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Street parking will be very difficult in Lake View and Lincoln Park depending on how close you are to the lake.
Wicker Park is a friggin parking nightmare too.
Logan is still pretty manageable but probably not for long.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Yes you are missing the nightmare of finding a space. Most of the side streets are permit parking zones, especially in the denser, more desirable areas. I lived in Wrigleyville when I first moved to Chicago and had permit AND Cubs zone parking stickers but would still have to drive around 20-40 minutes to find a spot after commuting home from work.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post
Dude go for it. It’s Summer. Get a storage unit on the South Side and sleep in your car and in parks and wash up at the beach before work. Back of the Yards, Brighton Park, and Little Village are great suggestions. Meet your future roommates at art openings. You can move in next October and rent a garage with the money you saved. Some of Chicago is still affordable even if it takes serious effort to find a good spot, so live here while you can and move to Indiana or Missouri later. Other neighborhoods that would be cool are Mayfair, Hermosa, the town of Cicero, and if you’re tough, Garfield Park or North Lawndale
Avondale and Hermosa are a pretty solid, if not particularly sexy choice. Very working class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago