Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 PM

166 posts, read 482,715 times

Advertisements

That some areas of the country are really sensitive and cannot take the honest, but well-meaning directness that we are so used to? Where the 'tell it like it is' philosophy doesn't fit.....

Specifically, where do you feel like you need to 'tone it down'?

What place do you go that makes you long for the honest and direct demeanor of your fellow Chicagoan's??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 09:11 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,939 times
La La Land in my experience.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:27 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Wisconsin.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:14 AM

15 posts, read 33,341 times
Well,I have been living in "Southern Hell" or they call it Oklahoma for a few years now and boy do they like to "Sugarcoat" everything here,And sometimes they give you a stupid expression when you "Tell it like it is",I honestly stopped caring a long time ago for all I give a rats a$$ they can stay in backwards bible la la land,Soon I'll be back home in Chicago to proudly rejoin the "Real World"

IMO,The whole State has to be wiped by a tornado and just extend Texas north lol Oh wait a minute G*D tried that on MAY 3, 1999

(And Texas people DO "tell it like it is",THAT state I can respect).......To a certain point lol

Old 05-23-2008, 02:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
During my visit to Charleston, I was mesmerized by their gift of understatement. For instance, they have "palmetto bugs" crawling all over the place, by which they mean "cockroaches so big you could put a saddle on one and ride it around town."

During a tour of an 18th century mansion on the battery, we were told that approximately two feet of storm surge from the Ashley and Cooper rivers flooded the first floor during Hurricane Hugo. The tour guide characterized this as a "moisture problem."

And of course, we did not have a "Civil War" in the middle of the 18th Century. It was merely "The Disturbance."

It's like they would rather do backflips on smoldering coals than call something unpleasant what it really is.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:17 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
During my visit to Charleston, I was mesmerized by their gift of understatement. For instance, they have "palmetto bugs" crawling all over the place, by which they mean "cockroaches so big you could put a saddle on one and ride it around town."

During a tour of an 18th century mansion on the battery, we were told that approximately two feet of storm surge from the Ashley and Cooper rivers flooded the first floor during Hurricane Hugo. The tour guide characterized this as a "moisture problem."

And of course, we did not have a "Civil War" in the middle of the 18th Century. It was merely "The Disturbance."

It's like they would rather do backflips on smoldering coals than call something unpleasant what it really is.
As sad as it is, in the south the civil war isnt really over, its only halftime.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:48 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,555,780 times
I was in Cleveland for an extended period (before it got "this" bad), and I had to underplay everything I said .. if you were straight, people looked right through you.

Every time I met someone from Chicago, we marvelled at how easy it was to talk "normally again."

In L.A., I felt that Valley Girl (non gender specific) lives, particularly in retail establishments.

In San Francisco, I felt most people I spoke to were more on the same urban speaking level as Chicago. Same with Manhattan and Long Island.

New Jersey, I felt they were more "Chicago" than Chicagoans.....

Old 05-23-2008, 10:52 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,555,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
As sad as it is, in the south the civil war isnt really over, its only halftime.
Great comment. My friend just got back from Alabama and her daughter's landlord told her, "Darlin', the only thing that upsets us worse down here than a Yankee is a Catholic. I'm sure your little gal will be fine."

They are both Yankees and Catholic.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:32 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
For some this is true; but for us transplants we just wish they'd get over it already! There are some people down here that still fly the Civil Flag.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:00 PM

96 posts, read 180,216 times
I'm Chicago born / bred and have been in the Bay Area for the past 16 mos due to the husband's job. Cannot tell you how much I miss that direct, open approach. Chicagoans are direct but I think direct and warm whereas generally speaking, ppl here tend to be aloof and a bit cold. At least compared to ppl back home.

A few weeks ago I had some tests done at the hospital and the doctor I ended up seeing was a NYC transplant. Cannot even begin to explain how easily I was able to instantly connect / communicate on the same level with the doc, as if we had broken into our common native language, and was totally over-joyed.

In Chicago I'm seen as a bit shy and reserved while out here I'm seen as too in your face and open. Go figure.

Last edited by Fata Morgana; 05-25-2008 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago