Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 02:44 PM

34 posts, read 159,126 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone on here either lives in or knows about an apartment/condo that can fit this criteria:

1. Around one block away from a Red Line station
2. Walking distance from a market such as Whole Foods or Trader Joe's
3. Priced under $1500
4. Mid Rise or High Rise with a 24 Hour Doorman

One West Superior Place apartments are in the perfect location but slightly overpriced for me. But...I would love to be around the State and Superior part of town if someone knows of other apartments in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 03:46 PM

15 posts, read 36,902 times
I see you are still looking ~I'll be reading your blog....it will be interesting to see if anyone has any specific recommendations for you. I got some great information, we plan on spending the month of June walking the Gold Coast area. Still would like to hear from somebody who lives in the Gold Coast, loves their midrise complex and shares the name of the apartments/condos!

Good luck, I'll let you know how our search goes.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:37 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Marty View Post
I see you are still looking ~I'll be reading your blog....it will be interesting to see if anyone has any specific recommendations for you. I got some great information, we plan on spending the month of June walking the Gold Coast area. Still would like to hear from somebody who lives in the Gold Coast, loves their midrise complex and shares the name of the apartments/condos!

Good luck, I'll let you know how our search goes.
I lived in the Gold Coast for almost 20 years until very recently. When I rented, I always rented condos vs. rental apt buildings -- nicer buildings, usually, and less transient residents. There's one rental bldg that I know of that used to be okay (haven't ck'd recently), "Astor House"...believe it's around 1300 or 1350 Astor. There aren't alot of buildiings that rent only in the GC proper. There's one on Scott, but the last itme I looked at it, the maintenance was not so hot.

They've been renovating and converting 1400 Lake Shore. There's also 1350 Lake Shore, all rental..not a bad building at all, I've looked there and it's all rental.

I think I suggested this to your original thread, but in case not.....if you want to rent a condo, ck the Tribune Sunday section or on the web. I dealt with a real estate agent, and that worked for me. The condo I'm now renting, I found on Craig's List, but it ended up being a realtor.

You could call a realtor. I don't like the apartment finding services...for me, they didn't have what I wanted. They might work for you, but a realtor might know of an owner who can't sell (currently a large condo inventory), and the owner may want to rent.

I do agree the "official" Gold Coast is Dearborn, east to the Lake, and from Division or Oak, north to North Avenue...but South of Division, only the streets (like Cedar, Elm, Bellevue) that are East of State are "Gold Coast".

There's a rental bldg on Dearborn and Maple, but I am not sure it's an okay building..used to be.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:40 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazzy View Post
I'm hoping someone on here either lives in or knows about an apartment/condo that can fit this criteria:

3. Priced under $1500

One West Superior Place apartments are in the perfect location but slightly overpriced for me. But...I would love to be around the State and Superior part of town if someone knows of other apartments in that area.
Rents in the area are negotiable. I've found that to be true in my case.....One West Superior is a nice building.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:53 AM

279 posts, read 760,176 times
Have you looked at Chestnut Tower on State and Chestnut? It looks pretty hideous from the outside, but it is actually fairly nice inside and the staff there is very friendly. It should fit your needs as you describe and I think a convertible should be had in your price range there.

Otherwise, as people suggested, I'd recommend looking at condos that are for rent by the owner. You can probably get something nicer that way than going with an all rental building. There should be a decent amount of stuff listed on Craigslist.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:29 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazzy View Post

3. Priced under $1500

I lived in 1 W Superior and loved it, but it has gotten significantly more pricey then when I was there (I had a huge south facing 1 bedroom on 35th floor for $1500). Just remember it includes heat, air, cable, and internet so that helps.

I also agree with Chestnut Place. My boyfriend lived there for a few years and it was significantly cheaper than 1 W. It isn't quite as up to date, but it's a nice building!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago