Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 07:14 PM

6 posts, read 7,404 times

Advertisements

Hi! Would love a bit of perspective…

Planning to move to Chicago in ~1.5 years and trying to get a sense of areas in the city that would suit me. I will be a single, empty-nester moving in, and I currently live in Brookline, Massachusetts (Boston). I would ideally like to find an analogous area in Chicago. Qualities I prefer:

- Semi-urban / semi-suburban. Lots of green
- Tidy and comfortable
- Street smarts not necessary
- Walkable
- Nice restaurants and cafes and other shops
- Whole Foods, farmers markets and quality home staples available in the immediate area
- Urban areas easily accessible by long walk
- Has subway system stops

I tend not to use public transport and enjoy driving a car, but it’s nice to have public transport available. Would probably rent a 2-br with garage parking.

I am street smart and have lived in much bigger cities than Boston/Brookline, but I find it taxing. I want to go home to an area where street smarts are not totally necessary.

I don’t need to commute for work. In terms of urban Chicago…I like access to galleries, world / international cuisine, classical music, jazz music and hard rock; cool shops…things like that. I’d do those things on weekends or weeknights.

My plan is to visit Chicago a few more times to get a feel for different areas. I stayed on Michigan Avenue last time and did many of the typical tourist things. I rented a car one day and drove to Evanston to check it out. I liked it. I didn’t see a ton of Evanston (pouring rain that day), but it seemed to check a lot of boxes. But..would be great to find an area closer to the urban core(s) of Chicago if possible. I am totally willing to compromise a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 08:37 PM

212 posts, read 230,146 times
Berwyn, Cicero, Elmwood Park, Oak Park. Evanston and Wilmette have Whole Foods. Within the city of Chicago, the Addison, Irving Park, Montreal, and Jefferson Park Blue Line stops have lots of single family homes, trees, slim yards, with commercial streets and some apartment buildings, so they are not too painfully suburban. Please stay street smart in all these places except maybe Wilmette

Last edited by DannFrankenstein; 07-09-2022 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Type

Old 07-09-2022, 09:44 PM

94 posts, read 104,334 times
Chicago is a really big city so I don't think there's such a thing as semi-subrban walkable to the urban core with out having to use street smarts here. If you really want a more quiet neighborhood type of place very close to downtown there are places like Little Italy where there are shops and cafes you can walk to, kids play in the streets in some areas, parks, feels kind of family neighborhood right next to downtown. But this is a mixed area and there are some "elements" that would make you want to keep street smarts for sure. I used to live there and my son and neighbor boy (aged 9 and 10) would go down to Taylor street on their own to Starbucks, 711, ride scooters, stuff like that. It feels "safe enough" but that same neighbor also got car jacked pulling into his garage behind the house. Other suggestions that are also close to downtown would be places like Lincoln Park, Old Town, Lakeview, Buena Park but it's also more urban although there are quiet tree lined streets.

Since you say you are more into driving than public transport if you are ok taking a bus to a train instead of direct train access a true green and safe hidden gem area that feels a lot like suburbs in the city as you described is Budlong Woods and Peterson Woods which is a little further out. I really love this area if you want green and quiet. There is a beautiful park that goes over a mile along the river with beautiful greenery. There are some unique old homes in that area as well especially right along the edge of the park. There are things you can walk to but probably not walkable to every need. Whole foods is a couple miles away in Saganaush which is another "suburb in the city" neighborhood, but it's even more removed from the rest of the city. Other suggestions a little closer into the city from there and accessible by train is Ravenswood Manor and a more active place Lincoln Square which has a little "downtown" that feels to me like a small town downtown but it does feel more urban than the other places.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:36 AM

Appreciate the responses - now I have some places to visit in person!

I think the street smarts aspect I will really need to suss out while there to gauge my comfortability. I briefly lived in Brooklyn, NY many years ago in a ‘hipster’ type area, but it felt and looked (and was) somewhat dangerous, and it was waaaay too stressful for me. I’ve been in other dangerous or more dangerous places but there is significant security presence, or compound walls, and things like that which are less common in the US.

If there are professionals with families, Whole Foods nearby, maybe a Starbucks or two…I’d probably be fine. The possibility of being car jacked (guns and stuff) gives me pause, but if I rent in a modern building with security cameras and a parking garage, I’m sure it’s probably fine.

I’ve also lived in Columbus Ohio, and there is an area called German Village which is nice but people say you need ‘street smarts’. Meh. It’s totally fine. I’d feel safe living in German Village, wouldn’t need any special security or anything.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:44 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,065 times
If coming from Brookline then Evanston (Northwestern Univ), Wilmette and Park Ridge would be somewhat comparable. Some of the places mentioned like Berwyn & Cicero, and to a lesser degree Oak Park & Elmwood Pk street smarts would be always used. I agree there are pockets in the city that may be suitable. Edison Pk especially.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:02 PM

Thanks!

My plan is to re-visit Chicago a couple of times and then begin in earnest to find a place after exploring these different areas.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:08 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Look at Lincoln Square and Andersonville too. Very nice, safe areas of the city. Basically fits everything you want. Maybe slightly more urban though.

Last edited by Vlajos; 07-10-2022 at 02:42 PM..

Old 07-10-2022, 06:22 PM

Interesting you mention that - I do have that area in my sights. I friend who lives in Chicago, and on my last visit she kindly showed me around a few areas she thought I might like. The places above, and Ravenswood I believe. There was a nice German apothecary I remember, and some other nice shops. It’s a little more urban but an interesting option. I’ll be living in a new city. Why try and re-create where I’m living now.

Old 07-10-2022, 07:32 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Merz is the apothecary. It's awesome!

Gene's is a few store fronts north and has amazing deli and meat selection. They even dry age steak on premise. Had the dry aged cowboy steak tonight with the family. Delicious.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:33 AM

Did not go to Gene’s, but that sounds right up my alley!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago