Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2022, 02:00 PM

302 posts, read 453,480 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy my first home ever. With Chicago housing, prices are out of control, but I have found some pockets that may be affordable from a condo perspective. I was looking for info around 26th and Wabash. This is near McCormick place in the 60616 area code. It looks to be just south of Moody Tongue Brewing. I haven't spent much time here outside of occasional visits to Ricobenes so I was wondering how livable is it? Is it coming up, on the way down, or pretty stagnant? I have two little ones that I get every other day, so their safety is most important. It seems very close to downtown so we can still do things and shop.

I searched the forums but haven't found much info on this area. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2022, 03:32 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,525,690 times
Though there are some SFH, apartments and lofts in the area, along with some public housing too, its still more of a business/industrial area. Noisy due the being very close to I55, CTA Green line, Mercy Hospital and of course, McCormick Place. Restaurants and grocery stores are somewhat scarce.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:29 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,197,647 times
I live close to that area. Where do you work? The transportation around here is very good.

26th and Wabash happens to be coming up with some new rehabs and new construction. Opera Lofts are going strong. There are many more Asians in the area than before with the general expansion of Chinatown and the workers at Mercy hospital.

Old 08-20-2022, 09:08 PM

302 posts, read 453,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I live close to that area. Where do you work? The transportation around here is very good.

26th and Wabash happens to be coming up with some new rehabs and new construction. Opera Lofts are going strong. There are many more Asians in the area than before with the general expansion of Chinatown and the workers at Mercy hospital.
I work near the Hancock. So I was planning on walking over to Michigan ave and taking the bus straight up there.

I noticed Opera Lofts and I'm looking at some of the newer construction there myself. I'm okay with businesses overall. I like the fact that it's close to downtown and the lake.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:54 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,332,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtamay3 View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy my first home ever. With Chicago housing, prices are out of control, but I have found some pockets that may be affordable from a condo perspective. I was looking for info around 26th and Wabash. This is near McCormick place in the 60616 area code. It looks to be just south of Moody Tongue Brewing. I haven't spent much time here outside of occasional visits to Ricobenes so I was wondering how livable is it? Is it coming up, on the way down, or pretty stagnant? I have two little ones that I get every other day, so their safety is most important. It seems very close to downtown so we can still do things and shop.

I searched the forums but haven't found much info on this area. Any help would be appreciated.
Chicago (zip 60616) violent crime is 65.4. (The US average is 22.7)
Chicago (zip 60616) property crime is 64.5. (The US average is 35.4)

NOTE: The city of Chicago, Illinois does not have FBI Crime Statistics. The closest similar sized city with FBI crime data is the city of Evergreen Park, Illinois. The charts below are detailed crime statistics for the city of Evergreen Park, Illinois. Click links below to see charts for each crime category.

Crime in this area would be my #1 concern. It may be improving but without FBI data hard to know. This may be what makes the area affordable compared to something further north.

Access to public transit is good but don't know who else is on the bus. Green line transit notorious for problems. Access to regular grocery store is another concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: