Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2023, 09:06 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,156,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Well, the majority disagreed, and voted in Johnson. You did not vote for him I'll guess. I certainly did not vote for him (the thought never even crossed my mind). But the majority did. Whether we can blame that on stupid voters, the lack of aggressiveness of the Vallas campaign, Johnson's butter smooth messaging (clearly aided by the left wing local media), or some combination thereof no longer matters. As I said above, I'm willing to give him a chance.

When I start referring to Chicago as "Chiraq" and thinking of people who have nothing and nowhere to go as crazy campers, I'm out of here, for the sake of my own mental health!
They disliked Lightweight so they voted in someone who's Lightweight on steroids? Makes sense.

Old 04-06-2023, 09:38 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
If Johnson jacks up taxes and drives businesses out, time will tell. I think a wait and see approach is good here.
Hopefully these are stymied by the city council and any other special interest groups. You would think people in Illinois would get by now you can't tax your way to success, considering we shoulder one of the highest overall tax burdens in the country.

Creating a desolate Chicago with businesses escaping and people with the means to escape also escaping, I think wouldn't spell good things for crime and safety with job opportunities running out the door.

Old 04-06-2023, 09:39 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
They disliked Lightweight so they voted in someone who's Lightweight on steroids? Makes sense.
The thing is, there are people on the left that think *Vallas* was the Lightfoot candidate. Many hard lefties see Lightfoot as someone who was in bed with the police and big business, and anti-teacher, union, all that jazz. I know it sounds crazy, but that is the mindset of many of those voters.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:00 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,558,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I've done some reading about Rahm's time here. He was pretty universally liked. Crime went down in some areas and up in others, based on where the (dis)investment happened. It was pretty interesting to read.
In retrospect yes he was a good mayor. But clashes with CTU over the way he closed 50 schools, closing half of the city's mental health facilities and concealing the Laquan McDonald police killing would have made it a REALLY tough re-election had he decided to run in 2019. In many ways Rahm's tenure created (or exacerbated) some of the problems we're dealing with now including a more powerful and outspoken teachers union.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:29 AM

1,052 posts, read 452,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
In retrospect yes he was a good mayor. But clashes with CTU over the way he closed 50 schools, closing half of the city's mental health facilities and concealing the Laquan McDonald police killing would have made it a REALLY tough re-election had he decided to run in 2019. In many ways Rahm's tenure created (or exacerbated) some of the problems we're dealing with now including a more powerful and outspoken teachers union.
Let's be real here, teachers unions control the Democratic Party. They ALWAYS get their way.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:37 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,558,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Let's be real here, teachers unions control the Democratic Party. They ALWAYS get their way.
Platitudes aside - Under Rahm CTU went on strike for the first time in 25 years and the hyper-political CORE wing (led by Karen Lewis at the time) basically took over the union and has held its leadership ever since.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:07 PM

1,517 posts, read 540,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post

But it's for the children.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:25 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,849,701 times
Vallas was a re-tread candidate and excited no one. That was his problem. He ran several other times, IIRC.

Johnson was new and said happy things enough for the young people to want to give him a shot. I think it's a mistake, but how bad a mistake remains to be seen. It may just be more of the same.

Old 04-06-2023, 02:47 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Platitudes aside - Under Rahm CTU went on strike for the first time in 25 years and the hyper-political CORE wing (led by Karen Lewis at the time) basically took over the union and has held its leadership ever since.
And Chicago has been been for the worse ever since

Old 04-06-2023, 05:08 PM

219 posts, read 135,330 times
In the end Vallas was too conservative for Chicago. People can't understand that this is Chicago not Alabama. I think the Trump effect didn't help him at all. Seems like in blue areas all over the country people are rejecting MAGA. Even in Tennesse kids are protesting by the thousands and Marjorie Taylore Greene was chased out of Manhattan . All the chicken little conservatives need to get a grip and realize that Johnson isn't going to defund the police or outlaw guns. Relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago