Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 05:53 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times

Advertisements

"Lower West Side" (aka Pilsen) is practically the Logan Square of the southwest side. It's not quite there yet culturally, but it's not far off and it's just about priced like it is. There's still some affordable places in Bridgeport but they tend to be a "you get what you pay for" situation.

"Douglas" (aka Bronzeville) is a mess. It's a lot less of a mess than it used to be and its prospects look promising, but for now it's still a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 06:32 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Park,_Illinois (61% white)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeview,_Illinois (70% white)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwyn,_Illinois (majority Latino, but still 33% white)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stickney,_Illinois (majority Latino, but still 40% white)

OP just didn't want to be like THE white person in the area. 1/3 is still a decent percentage.
Reminds me of when my sister first moved in from Germany...couple bags and a divorce in hand. First day in Chicago and I'm like, you can live here, but this area is borderline sketch, so from here I only want you to go North or East ok? Use the blue line to go downtown. (But the green line is faster) Just humor me and use the blue line to start ok.

After her divorce, the last things she was going to do is let a guy tell her what to do. (which I get) However she called later and she found some amazing deals on food...to which I was like....how are you shopping, your net worth is like $10. However, she was confused because she couldn't find shampoo anywhere...even in a Walgreens.

I asked her where she was and she answered. (Southwest) I told her, I want you to look around (Walgreens) and notice the customers. Do any of them have hair that looks like yours?

No.

That store is not for you. Buy what you can use and I'll come pick you up.

Old 06-22-2023, 09:56 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
"Lower West Side" (aka Pilsen) is practically the Logan Square of the southwest side. It's not quite there yet culturally, but it's not far off and it's just about priced like it is. There's still some affordable places in Bridgeport but they tend to be a "you get what you pay for" situation.

"Douglas" (aka Bronzeville) is a mess. It's a lot less of a mess than it used to be and its prospects look promising, but for now it's still a mess.
I didn't list Pilsen because I assumed it was too expensive. Locals there were just complaining about how they had to move out because their property values/taxes were jacked up.

Pilsen and Logan are pretty good comparisons. Pilsen is a few years behind, maybe.

Old 06-23-2023, 06:42 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
This is a tough one to solve.

Going to the game every day? That's a lot, and it'll be tough to be close to the park at a working class/sorta white neighborhood. Bridgeport used to be the perfect answer for this but it's gotten more trendy/expensive than it used to be. Might still look there anyway.

The "old school" whiter neighborhoods are mostly gone. It's either expensive (with varying races) or heavily minority in most of the city. Hegewisch could be one, but that's VERY far south, and far from the park. You may want to try the SW suburbs like Bridgeview, Bedford Park, Stickney, Berwyn.
Bedford Park's residential area is primarily just west of Harlem and if I remember correctly a population of about 500.

Bridgeview might provide a bit more of a community feel, but if he's looking for public transit to a Sox game a longer drive to the Orange Line at Midway.

Berwyn - he can take the Pink Line to the Orange Line.

Burbank - not listed above, but similar thinking to Bridgeview, except if he's on the end of town closer to Cicero, he'll have a shorter drive to the Orange Line at Midway.

Old 06-24-2023, 03:58 PM

424 posts, read 465,379 times
If you are interested in south / west side neighborhoods that are more affordable but still have well maintained housing stock, I would look at Bridgeport, McKinley Park, Marshall Square, Little Village, or Brighton Park. These neighborhoods are served by the pink and orange CTA train lines.

A few affordable neighborhoods on the north west side are Albany Park (served by the brown CTA rail line), Old Irving Park, Portage Park, and Hermosa (served by the blue CTA rail line).

There are bus lines through out the city that compliment the L, so you can get to most places without a car.

There are deals to be had in other neighborhoods as well - you just have to look out for them.

I hope this helps and best of luck in your search!

Old 06-24-2023, 06:46 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Another option would be to try Evergreen Park. You would not be able to take the L, but the Beverly Metra will stop at Sox field. I have a coworker who lives there and his wife takes the Beverly metra into town for work. It’s not too far a walk if you are closer to Western. It is still relatively affordable there, and my coworker says the taxes are quite reasonable as well.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:34 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Check out if from Evergreen Park to Oak Lawn have access to the CTA Red Line at 95th. Many of the connections could be with a PACE bus.

a lot of small communities south of Midway in Bridgeview, Burbank, Chicago Ridge, Palos Hills, etc with access to Midway Orange Line via PACE bus.

From Worth have access downtown via Metra Southwest service. AFAIK this train runs into CUS. Much better service than Heritage line to Joliet.

In the city of Chicago maybe look west of Midway called Clearing. CTA bus to Orange line. Area may be more Hispanic than white or black.

Something to avoid is the area east of Midway. Called Chicago Lawn, West Lawn not black but Hispanic. Gangs & drugs & other ills.

Old 06-26-2023, 07:22 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Check out if from Evergreen Park to Oak Lawn have access to the CTA Red Line at 95th. Many of the connections could be with a PACE bus.

a lot of small communities south of Midway in Bridgeview, Burbank, Chicago Ridge, Palos Hills, etc with access to Midway Orange Line via PACE bus.

From Worth have access downtown via Metra Southwest service. AFAIK this train runs into CUS. Much better service than Heritage line to Joliet.

In the city of Chicago maybe look west of Midway called Clearing. CTA bus to Orange line. Area may be more Hispanic than white or black.

Something to avoid is the area east of Midway. Called Chicago Lawn, West Lawn not black but Hispanic. Gangs & drugs & other ills.
Evergreen Park and Oak Lawn do have access to the Red Line via Pace, but it might be easier as another poster suggested to just take 95th to the 95th St. Metra stop in Beverly. Either drive and park at the Metra or take the Pace bus there. Either way, it's 2 fewer miles spent on a bus in each direction, and time spent on the Metra might be similar to time spent on the Red Line. Slightly safer as well I would imagine. The only negative is just having to be familiar with the train schedule with Metra.

Evergreen Park and Oak Lawn are both safe and probably pretty affordable.

Old 06-26-2023, 05:36 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

Yea, Pilsen part is going to be pricey and the rest of it is arguably a bit harder to get to the stadium given that was one of the main reasons for moving. I think Douglas / Bronzeville at this point has some pretty okay blocks if we're also factoring stadium proximity as a big plus and being somewhat affordable. Still think Bridgeport is the best overall. I also think it'd be fun and funny to live in Chinatown.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-26-2023 at 05:56 PM..

Old 06-29-2023, 06:23 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, Pilsen part is going to be pricey and the rest of it is arguably a bit harder to get to the stadium given that was one of the main reasons for moving. I think Douglas / Bronzeville at this point has some pretty okay blocks if we're also factoring stadium proximity as a big plus and being somewhat affordable. Still think Bridgeport is the best overall. I also think it'd be fun and funny to live in Chinatown.
I have a friend who is African American, lived in Chinatown for a while (think his friend owned the building) and LOVED it. Bridgeport is still not particularly affordable. I really think the S Suburbs Evergreen Park/Oak Lawn are probably going to be the best bet since the metra stops right off at the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago