Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 08:13 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,133,024 times

Advertisements

Not Chicago but close. Maybe Berwyn? South side. Access to the 290. You gonna have a car or rely on public trans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 12:15 AM

247 posts, read 235,879 times
Bridgeport or Armour Square would be good bets.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:48 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,046,341 times
If you want your taxes to negate the gained equity in your home, move to Illinois!

Old 05-20-2023, 09:40 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownNative View Post
I live in Indianapolis but am a HUGE White Sox fan and want to move to Chicago so I can buy season tickets and go to each game. I preferably want to be on the Southside close to Sox park so I can easily take the L for a short trip to the games. I've been to Chicago many times and know the layout of the city pretty well. But I have no clue which neighborhoods I would actually be comfortable in. The Southside is obviously notorious for gangs and street crime. I am from a rough part of Indy so I am no stranger to poor neighborhoods. But I do not want to move to a majority black hood that is full of gangs that I will not be accepted in. Can anyone who is from the city help me out? I am a blue-collar worker so can't afford the nicer parts of Chicago. But don't want to end up in the projects neither. I'm looking for a working class neighborhood where its relatively safe compared to the worse parts of the Southside. Also it needs to be somewhere that white people are very common and accepted. If this is not an option on the Southside, than maybe the Westside (but not too far West). Thanks for the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Is THIS for real?!?
It seems like trolling. You can search previous threads as well as the rest of the internet to find your answer. There are intact communities throughout Chicago's south and west sides that are home to people of all racial and ethnic backgrounds. No one can really provide you with any good guidance without knowing more about your housing budget. Additionally, Census data is easily accessible for you to determine if an area is white enough for you.

Old 05-20-2023, 12:50 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Weirdly noone has mentioned these 2 neighborhoods yet, but consider Garfield Ridge and Clearing. They are both working class, and aren't too far west of Midway Airport. There are some good hidden gem businesses in that part of town, such as Racine Bakery(try their bacon buns, and it's nice they're a rare bakery to sell paczkis year round) and Weber Bakery(one of the last neighborhood mom and pop bakeries left). Both these areas are only a short CTA bus ride away, from the Midway Orange Line station.

And of course, you always could look at say like McKinley Park or Back of the Yards(more Hispanic, but I explored the north part of that neighborhood when going to Whiner Brewing's taproom, and it felt alright to me). Anyway if you do move to Chicago, I hope you do find a neighborhood that works out for you.

I guess one could consider Scottsdale neighborhood too, which isn't far south of Ford City Mall? And isn't too far, from a Southwest Service Metra station. If you've ever looked up on a map where Vito and Nick's Pizza is, that is pretty close to Scottsdale.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:09 AM

219 posts, read 135,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Weirdly noone has mentioned these 2 neighborhoods yet, but consider Garfield Ridge and Clearing. They are both working class, and aren't too far west of Midway Airport. There are some good hidden gem businesses in that part of town, such as Racine Bakery(try their bacon buns, and it's nice they're a rare bakery to sell paczkis year round) and Weber Bakery(one of the last neighborhood mom and pop bakeries left). Both these areas are only a short CTA bus ride away, from the Midway Orange Line station.

And of course, you always could look at say like McKinley Park or Back of the Yards(more Hispanic, but I explored the north part of that neighborhood when going to Whiner Brewing's taproom, and it felt alright to me). Anyway if you do move to Chicago, I hope you do find a neighborhood that works out for you.

I guess one could consider Scottsdale neighborhood too, which isn't far south of Ford City Mall? And isn't too far, from a Southwest Service Metra station. If you've ever looked up on a map where Vito and Nick's Pizza is, that is pretty close to Scottsdale.
I don't think any of those neighborhoods are predominantly white anymore, and their White populations are actually descreasing pretty signicantly every year, hence why they weren't mentioned.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:40 AM

735 posts, read 483,559 times
I suspect his main concern is that he doesn't want to be treated like sh*t (or worse) in the neighborhood, just for being one of the few white people there.

Between a predominantly hispanic neighborhood and a black one, I volunteer that he's less likely to experience that in former, albeit he still may somewhat.

Old 05-21-2023, 01:51 PM

94 posts, read 104,334 times
Ummm...I'm really shocked no one has mentioned Bridgeport which is literally the neighborhood the Sox Stadium is in. It's a mixed race neighborhood split between white, asain (Chinese) and Hispanic with some black residents. The asain population has really taken off. It's relatively cheap and safe and the location is great especially for you.

Old 05-21-2023, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 9,179 times
Thanks @G in MP

Old 05-21-2023, 06:10 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,672,289 times
South Side: Canaryville

West Side: Heart of Chicago/Heart of Italy, if you want to stay relatively close to Sox Park. If you don't mind some distance, Galewood/Montclare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPRFmama View Post
Bridgeport or Armour Square would be good bets.
The working class is all but priced out of there by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago